Should someone be allow

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who is going to stop you?

No-one can ever stop anybody, this is a converstation board so I am asking and telling stories. Just wanted to get other people perspective on things.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The other side of the question,should you accept a student who is overweight.
I like to see all sizes and genders on a demo team,so prospective students can see that TKD is for everyone.
I have never seen an overweight Korean born instructor though.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
No-one can ever stop anybody, this is a converstation board so I am asking and telling stories. Just wanted to get other people perspective on things.

Unless your teacher says something, I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless your teacher says something, I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.

My karate teacher, an Okinawan, wasn't shy about making pointed remarks about building strength and getting/staying in shape. We always spent at least half an hour shirtless during practice for Sanchin kata, so there was no avoiding it either.

Then again, maybe that's why he's never had a lot of students. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The other side of the question,should you accept a student who is overweight.
I like to see all sizes and genders on a demo team,so prospective students can see that TKD is for everyone.
I have never seen an overweight Korean born instructor though.
Accept? Yes.

As for the demo team, anyone who can perform well enough to showcase the school's instruction would be find on the demo team.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

To me, that's one of the marks of a great teacher, the fact that he/she has very little students. Most of my best teachers are commercial failures, at least at the point when I become involved with them. Jedi only have one padawan at a time for a reason. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BMI is BS. There are solid correlations between waist size and some adverse medical implications including diabetes and heart disease. Correlation is not causation...

BMI doesn't take into account build. I am overweight. Significantly, to be blunt. By the height/weight charts and BMI, morbidly. I carry more bone and muscle than the charts say I should weigh in at total... Funny, the docs at occupational health didn't laugh when I asked which leg I should cut off to meet the charts. :shrug:

That all said -- your weight is not correlationally related to your skill or teaching ability. Anyone who says it is needs to rethink things...

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My karate teacher, an Okinawan, wasn't shy about making pointed remarks about building strength and getting/staying in shape. We always spent at least half an hour shirtless during practice for Sanchin kata, so there was no avoiding it either.

Were there any women in that class?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally do not think that the tenants of TKD have any bearing what so ever on weight or weight control.

The Tenets are a creation of General Choi and are not part of Kukki Taekwondo. You won't find them in the Kukkiwon Textbook for example. A lot of Kukki Taekwondo instructors add it into their curriculum, but that is a different thing than them being a part of the Kukkiwon curriculum.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To me, that's one of the marks of a great teacher, the fact that he/she has very little students. Most of my best teachers are commercial failures, at least at the point when I become involved with them. Jedi only have one padawan at a time for a reason. :)
I think that commercial success and success as a teacher are completely unrelated, and to try and link the two is a mistake.

Good teachers can be bad businessmen... or good ones. Good businessmen can be bad teachers... or good ones. Completely different things.
jks9199 said:
BMI is BS. There are solid correlations between waist size and some adverse medical implications including diabetes and heart disease. Correlation is not causation...

BMI doesn't take into account build. I am overweight. Significantly, to be blunt. By the height/weight charts and BMI, morbidly. I carry more bone and muscle than the charts say I should weigh in at total... Funny, the docs at occupational health didn't laugh when I asked which leg I should cut off to meet the charts.

That all said -- your weight is not correlationally related to your skill or teaching ability. Anyone who says it is needs to rethink things...
I put stock in body fat percentage. A caliper test is the minimum I'd use to get this, though. I wouldn't depend on the bioelectric meters that some scales have on them. Your chance of even getting the same reading twice is pretty low, much less getting an accurate reading.

If you haven't had your body fat percentage calculated, talk to your doctor about it. There are a couple of ways that they can get a very accurate measurement.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sammo%20hung%20fei%20hung.jpg

end thread.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At 5'9 & 257lbs, you're not 'considered obese in today world'; medically, you're considered not just obese, but morbidly obese. Your weight will (if it is not already) lead directly to significant health problems. Obviously, you'd do well to lose a bunch of weight. Equally obviously, if it were easy, you'd not be posting this message, and all the internet advise in the world won't drop a single pound. In fact, you might gain weight while you're sitting at the desk with your cookies & Dr Pepper reading. Certainly, steroids are known to cause weight gain, but it is possible to control that, at least to some extent. I don't know why you're taking them, but you really ought to talk to your PCP about your options. Whatever benefit you're getting from the steroids certainly won't do you much good if the weight gain leads to your being crippled by heart attack or stroke, or even just because the weight makes your bad knees that much worse, that much sooner.

But your weight is a seperate issue from your teaching. Teaching is the passing on of knowledge, and your weight problems don't lessen your knowledge. And the effectiveness of your teaching can best be judged by the results, as demonstrated by your students.

I will say this. One of my sword instructors was a man built much like you. While he didn't move fast for long, his techniques were amazing, his hand speed incredible, and his speed over short distances impressive. His weight certainly didn't keep him from teaching me an awful lot.

Pretty judgmental...not a fan of this post...Tal

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would not put much stock in the shallow thinking of a person who judges you solely on what you look like.

I am 6'2 255...I have lost 25 lbs over the last 2 months looking to get to about 240. I am loosing weight because at 280 I felt sluggish.

I know that you have lost weight over the last year. Anyone who judges you is just an Idiot!

They are not just Idiotic but morbidly Idiotic!!!!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Were there any women in that class?

Not regularly. He would have some female students start from time to time, but their tenure was always a matter of months rather than years.

But if you are asking about the practice of removing the gi top for Sanchin, it's common practice for women to disrobe too but they leave on their undershirt. The point to taking off the top isn't to intimidate or impress each other with our physiques... It's so the teacher can visibly confirm proper tension is being maintained in the muscle groups of the torso.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our instructors teacher would show up on occasion, and he was much bigger than you Terry. He was a farmer, he did have a good amount of muscle, but he was still pushing 300lbs if not over it. He couldn't jump, couldn't kick higher than his own waist. He was also a man that I don't think any of us would dare mess with. He could use his mass to great advantage, and his side kick was just scary. He could destroy the heavy bag, and no matter how fast you were, sparring him meant eating a steady stream of them. I hated sparring him because not only did he have the side kick, but his hand were so hardened from farm work that he'd smash your leg blocking your kick. Then he'd punch you in the face, then side kick you. I watched him corner someone to the point he couldn't kick them anymore, so he grabbed the guy by the arms, picked him up and set him down so he could start kicking him again. So just because an instructor isn't 'in shape' doesn't mean anything.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty judgmental...not a fan of this post...Tal

Not in the least judgemental. I gave factual information about obesity, and expressed my personal opinion that it has nothing whatsoever to do with ones ability to teach. Where's the judgement?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I stated this on another similar thread some time back, but it bears repeating. If your literature touts weight loss as a benefit, you and your staff should be fit and trim. Otherwise, it really has no bearing.

Daniel

Latest Discussions