I Passed!!!

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I started my martial ats journey in 1984 after seeing The Karete Kid when I was 10. I trained in a few different styles off and on until I started college and got involved in Tae Kwon Do in September of 1992. In November of 1996 I tested for my Black Belt and missed 3 techniques and 1 break. Shortly after my test I moved to California and never re-tested.

I ended up moving back to the area but never could find enough trainin time to prepare. Over the years life basically got in the way. I ended up getting married,having kids, work etc... I came back a few times and it either ended short because of work or an injury.

Finally in June of 2006 I decided to set my goal and nothing would stop me. I started training 7-12 times a week. Over the next 7 months I worked very hard, lost 45 lbs, re-learned alot of technique. On December 30 I tested (or re-tested kind of). My instructor gave me alot of technique to learn and breaks to prepare for.

After 2 1/2 hours I ended up 3 breaks away.

Well as of tonight, March 9th 2007, I am officially a 1st Dan Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do.

During my test one of the masters asked each of us testing which of the tenets of Tae Kwon Do is the most important to us. Without even thinking I proudly said "Perserverence".

ANyone out there who has ever quit and thought of coming back but keeps having excuses like: I have bee gone too long, I am too old, I am too out of shape. Please go for it, I guarantee you will be extremely better off if you do!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great job! The perseverance finally paid off, didn't it? Congratulations, Black Belt.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phlaw, that's brilliant! You are as right as right can be: the crucial thing for success, the thing that's most necessary (and almost sufficient on its own) is will. Sheer, naked will, the desire to get somewhere and the moral force to do whatever you have to, and give up whatever immediate gratifications might derail you. Will and discipline—nothing can defeat them, eh?!

You have a lot to feel terrific about—go celebrate!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Excellent, congrats and welcome to the club! Now the real study of TKD begins. You're a great example of NEVER say never. Reminds me of that quote from the movie the Waterboy, "You can do it!"

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FANTASTIC Brian!