TKD criteria for BB

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the year I have seen alot of different criteria's for BB in the TKD community. What I was wondering what do you all believe is the best possible criteria for TKD instructor to use when testing BB?

I relize we have alot of different associations out there but there must be some geberal guidelines that we all use?

What is the one thing that needs to be on all BB test no matter what association?

How long should a test be?

How hard should the test be?

Should it be just over technical issues?

Should it be physical?

Should someone faill a BB test because they simply cannot fight to that level?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the year I have seen alot of different criteria's for BB in the TKD community. What I was wondering what do you all believe is the best possible criteria for TKD instructor to use when testing BB?

I relize we have alot of different associations out there but there must be some geberal guidelines that we all use?

I don't think there can be one, single criteria - because each organization is different, and is, therefore, going to focus on different things. Even within an organization, people are going to hold different viewpoints on what a black belt symbolizes, and what is needed to be demonstrated to reach that rank. I know some people (in multiple organizations) who feel that anyone should be able to attain I Dan, but not higher; I know some people who feel that if you pay for the test (especially at the rates you gave me, in the thousands of dollars) you shouldn't be able to fail; I know people who don't feel that a test has been run properly unless at least 10% of the candidates fail.

Still, I'm going to try to answer most of these... but these are my answers; please don't think I'm speaking for my association or anyone in it.

What is the one thing that needs to be on all BB test no matter what association?

2 things:

1 - The ability to defend oneself in situations likely to occur in the person's life - by which I mean things like mugging, home invasion, abduction with or without the risk of rape, etc. - not the "what if" that people throw around when they know little or nothing of martial arts (e.g. "so what if 10 people with guns surround you", that type of thing that's unlikely for most of us).

2 - Understanding of the technical details underpinning the art, and the physical abilities to demonstrate that understanding commensurate with the person's age and physical condition. I know that there are people who disagree with this - but I have trouble limiting black belt to people who are fortunate enough to have started a martial art before middle age; while there are exceptions to everything, there are many who start martial arts in their 30s, 40s, and older, who will never meet the physical conditioning of those who start in their teens and 20s. Do I think that a certain level of physical ability is necessary? Certainly. But it's going to look different for a 50ish adult with injuries in his/her past than it will for a 20ish adult at the peak of his/her physical abilities.

How long should a test be?
[/quote]

As long as it takes to demonstrate the above. It depends on how you expect testing candidates to demonstrate the above.

How hard should the test be?

As hard as it needs to be to demonstrate the above. Again, it depends on how you expect testing candidates to demonstrate the above.

Should it be just over technical issues? Should it be physical?

I'm going to combine these - because the answer is the same. Without an understanding of the technical details, and the ability to demonstrate that understanding physically, you cannot demonstrate a true understanding of the material. One of my favorite questions to ask my students is "which is more important: book learning or physical ability?" The answer is that both are equally important. Most people will master one before the other; some will catch up and master both equally eventually; as a matter of physical ability and learning style, most people will be better at one than the other - but both are, IMHO, equally important.

Should someone faill a BB test because they simply cannot fight to that level?

At what level? I know that there are some styles that promote students when they win matches against a specified number of students of the next rank up, but there are quite a few variables in that that are not addressed by that system. For example, I have 3 students who are testing for 1st gup this evening; they started together, have come up through the ranks together, practice together outside of class - they should all have the same abilities based on that, right? BUT - one is a 13 year-old girl, one is a 26 year-old man, and one is a 44 year-old man. Of course they are going to have different strengths and abilities, and that needs to be taken into consideration when they are testing... or we're back to only promoting those who are capable of certain physical demonstrations, which, as I said, is important, but should not be the only factor.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As always Kacey very sound answers and No I will not group you with any association and yes I'm glad you answer for just you.

I also beleive each test will be a slong as the individual will make it. The fiture Bb can take some time to get though material and sometimes it just takes a couple of times before it gets done.

Latest Discussions