Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, is this an article for discussion or an advertisement?

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
It's an article for discussion. There's quite a bit in there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you go through threads here we cover everything that's in the article already. Perhaps you could make a few points to start off the discussion?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Read this article and find out about the differences between competitions fighting, martial arts and self defense:
Martial Arts Misconceptions
its the same old same old, trying to make the concept of fighting an attacker in to some phycology clap trap.

striped down version, don't fight if you don't have to, if you do have to hit them hard and often. It helps if you very fit and good at what ever,MA you study. It's really not that complicated

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
You can say "same old, same old" about any and all martial arts topic. Of course it's all been said before - it's been discussed for thousands of years. But if people didn't want to keep talking about it, this forum wouldn't exist.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can say "same old, same old" about any and all martial arts topic. Of course it's all been said before - it's been discussed for thousands of years. But if people didn't want to keep talking about it, this forum wouldn't exist.
no its the,same old,same old from some one trying to sell a book or a new self defence system.
first explain why all existing MAare no good for self defence, wrap this up in pretend phycology and then explain why your approach deals with all these factors .

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
The only thing you're doing is demonstrating the fact that you either didn't read the article or didn't understand it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing you're doing is demonstrating the fact that you either didn't read the article or didn't understand it.
well I read it, its much the,same,as a dozen or so other articles' I've read, if there is a hidden meaning not covered by my summary, perhaps you would care to explain it

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm just going to let others read it for themselves and form and express their own opinions about the topics covered. Your opinion has been noted. Thank you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm just going to let others read it for themselves and form and express their own opinions about the topics covered. Your opinion has been noted. Thank you.
I though you had posted it for discussion purposes, now it seems you don't want to discuss it at all,well not when people disagree with you

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
You didn't disagree with anything in there. You just said it's the "same old, same old" which can be said about any and all martial arts topic. Formulate an actual argument about the topics covered in the article, and we'll have something to discuss. All you're doing here is complaining.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You didn't disagree with anything in there. You just said it's the "same old, same old" which can be said about any and all martial arts topic. Formulate an actual argument about the topics covered in the article, and we'll have something to discuss. All you're doing here is complaining.
but you've just posted a link and nothing at all to support it.

my point is everything in it is either blatantly obvious, don't fight if you don't have to, run if you can, OR a complete misrepresentation of the,effectiveness of MA in general

your statement that ufc doesn't work for self defence as it has weight classes and your not allowed to head but makes no sense.
perhaps you would care to try and support that argument

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
The argument is that as soon as you impose rules and regulations on things, you make them less realistic, since reality has none of those rules.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The argument is that as soon as you impose rules and regulations on things, you make them less realistic, since reality has none of those rules.
that doesn't mean that a ufc,fighter if attacked can't,feint left, deliver a kick to the,abs and knock them over with a right,cross. Would that be more realistic if he head butted him as well ?

OP
A

AmiToben

White Belt
Reaction score
You clearly didn't understand the article then. I stated more than once that I'm not saying UFC fighters can't defend themselves.
Anyone who's ever delivered or received a kick to the balls will know how effective it can be. The fact that this simplest of things can never be delivered (since it's against the rules) or received (since everyone wears a cup) is one of many examples of why competition fighting =/= reality.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly I don't agree with a lot of that article. Saying the mist important thing is to learn to not go in the wrong places....well that's just obvious everyone knows that but even in the richest neighbourhood you can get attacked.

Also I don't think many people believe mma is a real life fight. That's why the ufc tag line is "as real as it gets" that means it's not like a real street fight but it's closer than other sports. So the ufc even acknowledges it.

Also agreed with other people, this has all been said before we've been through the sport vs street nonsense hundreds of times but since you're new I'll tell you what's been said. Yes sport has it's rules but sportsmen don't. Do you really Anderson silva couldn't kick a man in the groin or poke him in the eyes. The sports men follow their rules doesn't mean they can't break them...hell plenty break the rules consistently look at jon jones.

Also saying you beat guys more experienced than you by kicking them in the knees...yeah okay I find that very hard to believe because well firstly...mma fighters use leg kicks all the time so yeah..

Also you say you used groin kicks to win a sparring match.....well that makes you a bit of a dick kicking your training partner purposely in the groin during a friendly sparring match...I'm sure he could do the same to you if he wanted.

Also you haven't actually told us anything about yourself.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You clearly didn't understand the article then. I stated more than once that I'm not saying UFC fighters can't defend themselves.
Anyone who's ever delivered or received a kick to the balls will know how effective it can be. The fact that this simplest of things can never be delivered (since it's against the rules) or received (since everyone wears a cup) is one of many examples of why competition fighting =/= reality.
people who,are trained in not getting kicked are just as good at not getting kicked in the ball as they are at not getting kicked in,the leg.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I've been kicked in the groin loads of times and yeah it sucks but I've never been in a position where I had to stop what I was doing because of it I took it and got on with it. To me groin kicks are more of a set up to cause pain to distract them or move their body into a good position. Also you talk about the street. A lot of guys will be either drunk or on drugs or simply adrenaline. These things can make them not feel pain until later

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I've been kicked in the groin loads of times and yeah it sucks but I've never been in a position where I had to stop what I was doing because of it I took it and got on with it. To me groin kicks are more of a set up to cause pain to distract them or move their body into a good position. Also you talk about the street. A lot of guys will be either drunk or on drugs or simply adrenaline. These things can make them not feel pain until later
yea groin kicks,suck, but they are not generaly a,show stopper, unless its the movies

Latest Discussions