Train in self-defense program, or MMA?

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A gun at 10 feet is the deadliest weeapon. case closed. If you think you are going to not freeze up when someone pulls on you, you've never had it happen. I have and it scared the **** out of me. If his finger is on the trigger already pulling slack, you can't move fast enough.
A reliable weapon in the hands of someone either jumpy or competent is quite deadly, I agree.

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So even if you are on the ground, you can pull your weapon and put it in the guys gut and empty the clip. Let's not overestimate our abilities in martial arts. Also, when is the last time these days someone was in a knife fight? 1950?

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So even if you are on the ground, you can pull your weapon and put it in the guys gut and empty the clip. Let's not overestimate our abilities in martial arts. Also, when is the last time these days someone was in a knife fight? 1950?
*South Africa has entered the chat: that depends on how you define a knife fight

There is also some quite recent raw footage of people dueling with knifes, and wrapping their garment around their forearm.

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
*South Africa has entered the chat: that depends on how you define a knife fight

There is also some quite recent raw footage of people dueling with knifes, and wrapping their garment around their forearm.
How realistic is this compared to a gun in the US these days. Gangs used to rob and fight with knives. Stay away from those areas and give the guy your wallet and let him walk away! I would only fight on the street if I had no other option. Not to brag but I could really damage people on the street with his head hittin conctret or it could happen to me as well? you are most likely to get shot. I know SA has become a cess pool in Joburg and everywhere since the end of apartheid. The SASTF is probably the best and most experienced swat team in the world but no one wants to give SA credit for anything!!!

MTguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that and my son is / was a security guard fully insured and compliant with rules of engagement. he got into a fisticuffs with a dangerous felon and took him down and just but pressure on the guy who was turtled up. Guess what? the guy got 30k settlement out of it. Long live America where you can commit a crime and get more money than what you wouuld by simply robbing someone.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How realistic is this compared to a gun in the US these days. Gangs used to rob and fight with knives. Stay away from those areas and give the guy your wallet and let him walk away! I would only fight on the street if I had no other option. Not to brag but I could really damage people on the street with his head hittin conctret or it could happen to me as well? you are most likely to get shot. I know SA has become a cess pool in Joburg and everywhere since the end of apartheid. The SASTF is probably the best and most experienced swat team in the world but no one wants to give SA credit for anything!!!
I don't contest that.

You said "Also, when is the last time these days someone was in a knife fight? 1950?". That seemed like a relevant counter-point.
that and my son is / was a security guard fully insured and compliant with rules of engagement. he got into a fisticuffs with a dangerous felon and took him down and just but pressure on the guy who was turtled up. Guess what? the guy got 30k settlement out of it. Long live America where you can commit a crime and get more money than what you wouuld by simply robbing someone.
People with decades of experience can spot the signs of an impending attack, and deal with it preemptively. The average person has no concept of those cues, and will see the other guy as the victim.

Self-defense cases can be emotional in terms of coverage and court. The mast majority of people also have no concept of real-world violence--and if you get those types as your jury, that could be a problem.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been in a couple.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If he had a gun. And I didn't. And I was trying to stop him.

I would want him to be on the ground with me on top of him. So I can use gravity to prevent him drawing the gun.

Actually even if we both had guns. Same reason.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't choose to disarm someone with a gun, but these situations choose you!! I have already spoken here about de-escalation through compliance, but that is not possible in every situation. Sometimes the only way to not die is to attempt a gun disarm.

Even untrained people wrestle over a gun, when it's necessary. It's much better to have some training first. Guns can be taken from people. When you need the gun in order to survive, take it!

Latest Discussions