Street Jitsu! Punch Block Series for Self Defense

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for feedback on your technique, my personal opinion is that a hook punch like that would still curve past your block and hit you. When we're blocking hook punches like this we are taught to step back and turn slightly so that you block the punch at their wrist, giving you more control over their arm and less chance of them hitting you through the block.

Just my 2 cents.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing that the opponent left hand is in position to just strike the guy applying the lock? I think the technique is fine, but me personally I would be off balancing the opponent or striking , or moving off the line of attack but it's a demo so what ever.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing that the opponent left hand is in position to just strike the guy applying the lock? I think the technique is fine, but me personally I would be off balancing the opponent or striking , or moving off the line of attack but it's a demo so what ever.
Done correctly those should break the attackers structure enough to keep them from bringing any power from the left hand. And you wouldn't stand there in front of him at the end.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Remember you don't fight in slow motion. You block the punch and then gain control of him before he is able to counter.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are looking for feedback on your technique, my personal opinion is that a hook punch like that would still curve past your block and hit you. When we're blocking hook punches like this we are taught to step back and turn slightly so that you block the punch at their wrist, giving you more control over their arm and less chance of them hitting you through the block.

Just my 2 cents.

If you block the shoulder and bicep area you take all the power and torque away from the punch...so even if you are hit there shouldn't be any power behind it. Blocking at the wrist makes it harder to catch the arm and gai control of your attacker.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to move this to the General Martial Arts section I don’t really have a problem with it. However, if you want to leave it in General Self Defence…

Self defence isn’t about waiting until someone throws a fist at your face and then doing something. People however do not have Tourette’s of the fist, they don’t generally go around randomly punching people for no reason and with no warning. There is a whole host of events which have to happen before you get to the stage where people start throwing punches. There are therefore several opportunities for you to avoid getting to the point where punches are thrown, that is what self-defence is about. You can’t just ignore them all (if you are claiming to teach self defence) and skip to the part where fists start flying.

Why is this guy throwing punches at you? What was the first sign that there was a problem; a) ok this is how you avoid the situation developing at point a) if you can’t or it doesn’t work the next thing that happens is b), here’s what you do at point b), if that fails point c) point d) etc until you arrive at the point where punches are thrown.

The problem with a lot of martial artists is they lack the skills to avoid situations developing to the point where violence starts, and so they have to pretend that self defence is fighting so that they can teach fighting skills as self defence.

Teaching people to do nothing until punches start getting thrown is like teaching children to cross the road by ignoring what we normally teach (avoid getting run over in the first place by; finding a safe place to cross, looking both ways, listen, walk don’t run etc) and instead teaching them to do nothing until they get hit by a car, and then doing a stuntmen roll over the bonnet.

That’s not to say of course that you don’t teach fighting skills as part of SD, of course you do, the point is, you don’t ONLY teach fighting skills. So “We’re going to do as little self defence”. No, you’re not, you going to teach a little martial arts, which isn’t the something.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is just showing some techniques to defend against a punch. We shouldn't have to go through the whole gambit of de-escalation discussion before describing a technique.

Nothing wrong with just discussing the technique itself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
is there an example of this working any where?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to move this to the General Martial Arts section I don’t really have a problem with it. However, if you want to leave it in General Self Defence…

Self defence isn’t about waiting until someone throws a fist at your face and then doing something. People however do not have Tourette’s of the fist, they don’t generally go around randomly punching people for no reason and with no warning. There is a whole host of events which have to happen before you get to the stage where people start throwing punches. There are therefore several opportunities for you to avoid getting to the point where punches are thrown, that is what self-defence is about. You can’t just ignore them all (if you are claiming to teach self defence) and skip to the part where fists start flying.

Why is this guy throwing punches at you? What was the first sign that there was a problem; a) ok this is how you avoid the situation developing at point a) if you can’t or it doesn’t work the next thing that happens is b), here’s what you do at point b), if that fails point c) point d) etc until you arrive at the point where punches are thrown.

The problem with a lot of martial artists is they lack the skills to avoid situations developing to the point where violence starts, and so they have to pretend that self defence is fighting so that they can teach fighting skills as self defence.

Teaching people to do nothing until punches start getting thrown is like teaching children to cross the road by ignoring what we normally teach (avoid getting run over in the first place by; finding a safe place to cross, looking both ways, listen, walk don’t run etc) and instead teaching them to do nothing until they get hit by a car, and then doing a stuntmen roll over the bonnet.

That’s not to say of course that you don’t teach fighting skills as part of SD, of course you do, the point is, you don’t ONLY teach fighting skills. So “We’re going to do as little self defence”. No, you’re not, you going to teach a little martial arts, which isn’t the something.
So, now defensive fighting tactics cannot even be part of self-defense?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

When I first started LEO we were taught to grab the wrist and get control. Everything was grab the wrist and transition into what ever technique you were going to use.

Now we target the upper arm and shoulder much like how he shows... much easier and safer to gain control.

OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You're correct, next time I'll be sure to shoot a 10 hour video covering everything from situational awareness to recovery and emotional support after a violent encounter. Sheesh....

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Done correctly those should break the attackers structure enough to keep them from bringing any power from the left hand. And you wouldn't stand there in front of him at the end.
Maybe or maybe not, if my first fist didn't connect the other one is already swinging by the time he connects with my arm, hitting him square in the jaw before he can secure the lock.

OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is just a tool or technique for your toolbox. Yes they do work, and in many different scenarios. I have used each of these, armlock, shoulder crank, and arm drag successfully against fighting / resisting opponents.
If you watch the video again, I state that I like to teach these first from a standing position. This is because its easier for a beginner to learn them when they are comfortable. Once they thoroughly understand the technique and it's technical aspects, it's just a matter of looking for the opportunity to apply them in a live / sparring situation.
Everything I teach is MMA related and must be able to work in a live situation or I won't bother with. Check out my YouTube channel: FightHACKS for more videos.

OP
FightHACKS

FightHACKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the critique. I would love to see an example. However, as a general rule for myself, when the opportunity exists, I prefer to step into and "enter" as opposed to stepping back to block a punch. If the opportunity to enter isn't there, then I will either "pull" myself out of range, or just cover to protect from the punch. -FH-

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe or maybe not, if my first fist didn't connect the other one is already swinging by the time he connects with my arm, hitting him square in the jaw before he can secure the lock.
If the second punch is already coming, you don't continue to attack the shoulder. If your block takes enough structure, there can be an opening to progress to the first technique, which moves you away from where he was already targeting and continues to break structure. All techniques are situational. All of them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the critique. I would love to see an example. However, as a general rule for myself, when the opportunity exists, I prefer to step into and "enter" as opposed to stepping back to block a punch. If the opportunity to enter isn't there, then I will either "pull" myself out of range, or just cover to protect from the punch. -FH-
I think he's looking at the block as an arm block (like a knife-hand block), rather than a structure block. This one impinges the attacking arm's movement outside the shoulder with one hand and drives the shoulder with the other - entirely different mechanics protecting you than a knife-hand block.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the second punch is already coming, you don't continue to attack the shoulder. If your block takes enough structure, there can be an opening to progress to the first technique, which moves you away from where he was already targeting and continues to break structure. All techniques are situational. All of them.
That's the problem, if b does this a does this to infinity, I am talking about the one sequence he showed is flawed that is not considering the other arm strike, but but but he could do...ya and the other guy can do.....and so on and so on just proved the point technique is f l a w

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem, if b does this a does this to infinity, I am talking about the one sequence he showed is flawed that is not considering the other arm strike, but but but he could do...ya and the other guy can do.....and so on and so on just proved the point technique is f l a w
You can say that for literally anything. There's always something that can make a technique invalid. Counter-punching a punch only works if the other guy isn't already moving in a direction that would make you miss. Changing levels to evade a punch won't work if a front kick is coming in behind the punch. Blocking a round punch only works if it's actually a round punch. There's a good use for the technique shown, and places where it shouldn't be used. Training allows you to automatically select the right response.

I'll say it again, this technique would be applied when, upon blocking, enough structure is taken to reduce the possibility of an effective strike from the other hand. If the entry doesn't break structure, this technique likely won't even present itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you block the shoulder and bicep area you take all the power and torque away from the punch...so even if you are hit there shouldn't be any power behind it. Blocking at the wrist makes it harder to catch the arm and gai control of your attacker.

I see. That makes sense and now that I watch the video again (I first watched it on my phone so didn't see too much) I see what you mean. I'd probably still go for the wrist as I've been taught since it allows you to block with 1 hand, leaving the other hand free to guard or strike at the same time.