Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
its the same old same old, trying to make the concept of fighting an attacker in to some phycology clap trap.

striped down version, don't fight if you don't have to, if you do have to hit them hard and often. It helps if you very fit and good at what ever,MA you study. It's really not that complicated
Agreed fighting isn't a psychology at all. A fight is mainly 2 idiots who argue over something stupid or 1 idiot trying to hurt someone else. Fighting isn't a science it's a game of luck its whoever lands the best punch or kick or whatever first. Skill really doesn't play much into fights. It helps but it's no deal breaker

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
yea groin kicks,suck, but they are not generaly a,show stopper, unless its the movies
I mean I've sometimes taken a few seconds to compose myself before I carry on but if I was in a real situation I know I'd be able to like in drills I'd stop adjust deep breaths carry on but if I've ever sparred I've taken It carried on the round times called then say bugger me that hurt. They can stop someone but not always

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mean I've sometimes taken a few seconds to compose myself before I carry on but if I was in a real situation I know I'd be able to like in drills I'd stop adjust deep breaths carry on but if I've ever sparred I've taken It carried on the round times called then say bugger me that hurt. They can stop someone but not always

I would have agreed with you up til two weeks ago....when I was caught right in the jewels with a full power switch kick with no groin protection.....It was horrible!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ami;
the issue here is you came to a martial arts forum. some of us here have been training for 30 years or longer. your article is ok, there is nothing that i read, that is really incorrect but it is a little amateurish to some of us. it seems to be aimed at people with no experience.

"Martial arts is one of those subjects that as soon as you raise them, a weird mood sets in. Some people get oddly self-confident, others get defensive and most exhibit a strange combo of both. It’s almost as if a controversial political questions has been asked."
starts off with a slight accusational tone...
then you go on to tell us of your experience which is fine but i hope you expect us to be wowed or impressed. your opinion is not anymore valid than anyone else. but for the article on your sight its ok to start off like this.

"Discussions and argument about which martial art is most effective are quite common. "
well not really. actually any thread like that bores us here.

"Most people automatically assume that effectiveness refers to self-defense—how effectively you can protect yourself from violence. "

"protecting yourself from a momentary punch to the face usually isn’t as important as protecting yourself from debilitating, chronic back pain, high cholesterol, heart disease and various other stress-related illnesses."

"The goals of a private citizen are different from those of an on-duty law enforcement officer, which are quite different from those of a special operations team member."

"The dichotomy between training and reality is probably what’s responsible for most of the confusion in regards to realistic self-defense."

You see, statement like these have been discussed a million times here, always brought up by new posters who are new to martial arts.
its all good if you actually want to talk about a particular subject, but we are not unaware that you posted here to promote your self and your web sight. doing that in and of its self comes off here as a little distastefull. there have been many people that come and disappear rather quickly because they did the same thing. this is a community of martial artists. if you want to be a part of the community, please take the time to write something in the New Members forum and introduce yourself. get involved and join in on conversations. other wise you may find people to be a little aggressive.
wish you luck in your business.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you up til two weeks ago....when I was caught right in the jewels with a full power switch kick with no groin protection.....It was horrible!

A lot of people getting groin kicked that are supposed to have no knowledge of getting groin kicked though.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of people getting groin kicked that are supposed to have no knowledge of getting groin kicked though.

And the org that my son competes in....the groin is a legal target......sadistic sons-a-b*****s....:D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And the org that my son competes in....the groin is a legal target......sadistic sons-a-b*****s....:D

Yeah. I think i will just suffer the skills gap. Kudo lets it happen as well.

I do like the constant kick em in the knee comments that get put up in these articles. And then mention you can kick people in the knee in MMA.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do like the constant kick em in the knee comments that get put up in these articles.

Because most people will keep their knee stationary and locked in a fully extended position while you kick it....its easy. ;)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read the article and I have a question to the OP. You talk about aikido training and say the following about it:

Strictly from a self-defense perspective, the two martial arts I’m most into—aikido and Krav Maga (which isn’t actually an art, but a self-defense system)—appear on the face of it to be on opposite extremes on this spectrum. Aikido training attacks are either grabs or strikes that are mostly derived from traditional Japanese sword fighting. As the technique is applied, the attacker cooperates with the move and this is why many aikido techniques are so elegant, flashy and beautiful. Training like this will obviously not prepare someone to defend themselves against all street-level violence—nor does it set out to do so.

My question is, if aikido doesn't set out to train you in self defence, what (in your opinion) is its purpose?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read the article and I have a question to the OP. You talk about aikido training and say the following about it:

My question is, if aikido doesn't set out to train you in self defence, what (in your opinion) is its purpose?

Well really it depends on the Aikido you train. Yoshinkan Aikido is very close to the Daito Aiki-Jujutsu, so it works for self defense. Others are more about spiritual cultivation first and foremost.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been tapped on the jewels and that was enough to stop me. lol Not sure why so many people don't think it's an effective play, especially when we have seen so many professional fighters get hit there and it stopped them. It's medically and scientifically proven that getting hit there will cause trauma.

The only thing about a groin kick is that it's a target and targets can be missed. It's no different than striking at a person's face. If I miss the face then I don't say punching at the face isn't effective. If I miss then I try again. If I miss a groin kick then I just try again. But for some reason may people think that trying to kick the groin after failing to land a good hit means that the strike isn't effective. Some people think that groin strikes are a "guaranteed" fight ending strike, but it's like everything else with fighting; nothing is guaranteed and if you miss then strike again.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been tapped on the jewels and that was enough to stop me. lol Not sure why so many people don't think it's an effective play, especially when we have seen so many professional fighters get hit there and it stopped them. It's medically and scientifically proven that getting hit there will cause trauma.

The only thing about a groin kick is that it's a target and targets can be missed. It's no different than striking at a person's face. If I miss the face then I don't say punching at the face isn't effective. If I miss then I try again. If I miss a groin kick then I just try again. But for some reason may people think that trying to kick the groin after failing to land a good hit means that the strike isn't effective. Some people think that groin strikes are a "guaranteed" fight ending strike, but it's like everything else with fighting; nothing is guaranteed and if you miss then strike again.

Well, if we were comparing the head to the groin in terms of targets, the groin is a lot less mobile and (usually) less defended than the head. After all, you don't see too many people running into a fight covering their groin with their hands do you?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think sometimes people get two strikes to that area confused. Usually when you say "I got dropped by a hit in the balls" it either wasn't a hit to your balls or you were suckered. Your balls will actually receed a bit into the pelvis when fight or flight kicks in, plus you instinctively guard them. A straight hard shot to the pelvic however will drop you fast it will also drop a female Justice fast because the pelvis itself has so many nerve clusters there that a good solid shot there will drop most anyone without going protection but again that's an area that you still instinctively cover so it's often easier said than done.

So straight in kick yes, upward kick between the legs not so much. The later is more easily avoided with no increase in "payoff."

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
your statement that ufc doesn't work for self defence as it has weight classes ........makes no sense.
perhaps you would care to try and support that argument
It makes perfect sense, and it is explained.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
its the same old same old, trying to make the concept of fighting an attacker in to some phycology clap trap.

striped down version, don't fight if you don't have to, if you do have to hit them hard and often. It helps if you very fit and good at what ever,MA you study. It's really not that complicated

Combat is all about psychology. Hell you yourself in another thread pointed that out when you referred to some "brain washed" soldiers sill freezing under fire. That is a psychological reaction to the fight or flight reflex.

Everything in the article is also NOT blatantly obvious. How many people, that you know, actively think about the preventative measures? Do they scan a room for entrances and exits as they enter? Do everything they can to have their back to a wall when they sit down? Do they practice what is often called target hardening?