Self-Defense - Closed room w/obstructions environment

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
That makes more sense. Much obliged :)

I dont tend to drink for fun - Its more to relax. Ive only been mind... the work I was gonna tac onto that is against the rules, so... twisting! drunk once, and Im not eager to do it again. Obviously alcohol as different effects on different people - I find it relaxing in moderation.

Now just dont ask Me to define moderation.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good evening all, and thank you for the previous very warm welcome to MT.

I have a question regarding self-defense in a specific type of scenario, being the "closed room w/obstructions environment."
I understand that preparing only for specific types of scenarios should be avoided, however, I also understand that this is a type of environment that should be considered, just as a desert, arctic, jungle, mountain, (etc.) environment for many different things (including recreational activities, combat, hunting/fishing, etc). I associate the closed room w/obstructions environment just as much as a threat as any other. A room full of furniture and obstructions in the way can trip you, hinder/block your movement, trip you during movement and keep you off balance.
I personally look at a room like a ring or a cage. However, the obstructions (with the only exception of the referee) will never be present, so working a room environment with obstructions isn't exactly the same as the ring or the cage.
If you have an obstruction between you and your attacker(s), such as a glass dining-room table, and you're no where near a route of escape, and you're unarmed, how do you defend yourself under these circumstances? If you have an obstruction blocking or hindering your movement to properly perform technique [with form], what do you do then?
With the obstructions in mind, this can also be a distraction, further assisting your attacker(s). Using the obstructions as weapons *could* be a possibility... But what if it isn't?
And if you're a taller/broader (mesomorph) guy, like me, and you're faced with a shorter and stockier attacker who's closer to your center of gravity (who typically has better coordination in this type of situation), this can present a world of trouble - unless you've trained well for it.

I suppose a good way to answer this would be to explain how you, as an experienced martial artist, could handle or adapt to this type of situation with the principles and theories behind your respective martial arts system. Or otherwise, how you feel any principle and theory behind a given martial arts system can help prepare you to adapt to this type of situation.
go learn Wing Chun - welcome to our world lol
Seriously though, anytime you're training you can imagine a scenario. Would what you've just done / are about to do work in a confined space? If the answer is no then look for alternatives (within your own system) or ways of modifying what you are doing. I totally agree with everything said about awareness being the best defence but there is a saying in the health and safety world that applies nicely "think what if.... not if only"

Latest Discussions