Seeking advice

OP
A

Athra

White Belt
Reaction score
I think you definitely need some serious, face-to-face conversations with military or law enforcement in your area. Ask them, in X situation, ...
Will definitely give it a try, Thank you brother.. You helped me a lot.. Thanks again...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like Krav Maga?
(But AFAIK, you'll have to learn iron body, gymnastics, climbing, parkour somewhere else).

How many hours a week can you train?
What kind of shape are you in right now?
You can train everyday for 2 years in any fighting system and you still won't be on the level that the OP is describing. Even after 2 years of hard practice you'll be lucky if you can use a majority of the basic techniques with efficiency beyond punch and kick.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2. How to break Bones
3. Pressure Points
4. Pure Savage Fight
5. Sword, Stick, and other Kung-Fu weapons
6. Iron Body conditioning
8. Using whole body as a weapon - Throws Kicks Punches Knee Strikes Elbow strikes and much more
9. To disable for some hours WITHOUT causing them any injury so that me and my Girlfriend can escape.

These are the priorities I saw that could be addressed well on this forum. No one martial art I'm experienced in I don't believe would provide you with all this criteria. Krav Maga would help with 2, 3, 4, 8, and maybe 9 I think.
but others on this forum might be able to make good suggestions.

Also 2 years is a short window, but not impossible.

#10 I'm not sure is possible or I just plain dont have the answer.

Regarding #'s 1, 7, and 11. Most gymnastics/cheer gyms have a community of parkour guys and trickers and in my experience they are almost all very friendly and willing to show/help you. And you can become proficient in those areas within 2 years.

Good luck I hope others can help you find what you're looking for.
Iron body conditioning takes time. It's a gradual process and it's not something that you can train hard everyday. Healing time has to be factored in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
actually in my opinion, the biggest self-defense asset is how to run from an attacker.
This doesn't always work. I recently saw a video of a guy who tried to run away from someone who had a knife. The victim couldn't run faster than the attacker. The attacker caught up with him and stabbed the victim. The victim couldn't defend himself because his back was to the attacker. The end result is that the victim was stabbed once and died.

People always make the assumption that they can outrun their attacker and that running way is always the best option. When you run away, you give your back to your attacker. The important thing is to create distance and running away is just one of the many options to do so.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would recommend that you take a trial Kung Fu class or a trial martial arts class so you can get better understanding of what it takes to be able to do what you are trying to learn.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you definitely need some serious, face-to-face conversations with military or law enforcement in your area. Ask them, in X situation, what could you do? What are the likely outcomes? Under what conditions would you, an unarmed civilian, be able to tackle someone spraying bullets into a crowd?
Or you could ask me. Get them when they are reloading. ;)

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
The honest truth here. I don't think you really understand what it is that you want. You have a romantic idea of what you think you will need but, by and large, you will never need 90% of that stuff. Throw the list away, start over with a clean slate. Go to any of those schools, they will be able to teach you whatever you need to know. No more, no less. And it doesn't take all that much training to beat the average wannabe dumb***. You keep at it, and eventually, you will be able to defend yourself in most any situation. And very likely, asumming you aren't planning on a carreer in organized crime, security, law enforcement or the military, you won't ever need to defend yourself. You know your city, you know where you shouldn't be when. Use good, common sense, and you will be okay.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Berserker fighting arts. Nothing else will do. You can find their website on the Internet.

Or, if you are really really lucky, you might live near a qualified Xuefu instructor. That's even better. I personally know of only two of them, one on the East Coast and the other on the West Coast, of the US. They do not have a website.

Or Llap Goch. That is good too.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can't spend a year doing body conditioning for 3 hours a day unless you're taking steroids (and maybe not even then). Your body needs more time to heal up. Plus, you may get burned out and quit.

I think a more realistic approach would be to start some martial arts training now, and on the days you're not going to classes, go to the gym or mess around with some of the parkour-type stuff you're interested in.

I'd recommend starting off by visiting the martial arts schools around you. Most schools will let you do a free intro class or some kind of cheap trial package without committing to anything. Based on what you've talked about here, I think the MMA place will probably be the best fit for you, but it wouldn't hurt to look at all the spots. Every school has it's own culture, community, attitudes, etc. It doesn't just come down to the style listed on the sign.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sambo. Which is judo gymnastics krav and mma mixed.

get the right school and it is actually a legitimate martial art.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! New here...

I had to ask a question. I am considering to learn Martial Arts for mainly self defense of my and my family and to protect the people in my immediate surroundings.. Tell me what Martial Arts discipline would be best for me. There can arise many self-defense scenarios, and a burglar in your house is not a pleasant situation.
So, what I need to learn...

1. Gymnastics
2. How to break Bones
3. Pressure Points
4. Pure Savage Fight
5. Sword, Stick, and other Kung-Fu weapons
6. Iron Body conditioning
7. Climbing obstacles as trees, high walls, etc
8. Using whole body as a weapon - Throws Kicks Punches Knee Strikes Elbow strikes and much more
9. To disable for some hours WITHOUT causing them any injury so that me and my Girlfriend can escape.
10. If someone assaults me and my girlfriend on a hike, with firearms, and police cannot be reached and they have their accomplices there- then to fight and break bones and causing maximum harm without killing them.
11. Parkour or Free Running - Basic atleast.

I am not after Meditation, or philosophy. I just need to learn how to fight.
Please tell me which style would be best for me... I mean I have time frame of 2 years and I am not after Black Belt (well, it would be an added bonus)...

Could you please help me with the selection???

Sounds to me like you want to a be a ninja. Gymnastics is not necessary to be a better fighter, weapons are debatable, most of the time you will not have one with you when they are needed. Climbing things? That is not related to fighting at all. Parkour and free running have nothing to do with fighting.

OP
A

Athra

White Belt
Reaction score
Well Thank you all for replying to my stupid question.... Thank You......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Thank you all for replying to my stupid question.... Thank You......

I assume that was sarcasm. You've had advice from experts, people with many years experience, I'm sorry it doesn't gel with your expectations and the truth is mundane but there you go.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Athra, welcome to Martial Talk. It's been a pleasure reading your thread. You've got some great advice in there. As has been advised, go check out each school available to you, feel which one would be most comfortable to you, and go sign up. You can do your own conditioning at the same time, on your own time. Heck, you can carry those bags of sand around your house if you want.

I hope you don't get confused by the different threads. If you read the "How much time for a beginner to practically use your system?" thread, you might walk away thinking anywhere from one day to six months would be all you need. But, it might take a little longer. So what the heck are you waiting for? Go watch at all the places, you'll have a ball. Might find a great dojo, too. Please keep us posted as to what you watch, think and feel. Best of luck, kiddo.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After reading it all, it seems you believe too much in martial capabilities.
Like medicine, it may help (a little), (with illusions) it may harm... Be careful.

OP
A

Athra

White Belt
Reaction score
I assume that was sarcasm. You've had advice from experts, people with many years experience, I'm sorry it doesn't gel with your expectations and the truth is mundane but there you go.
Brother that was NOT sarcasm...

All of the people here, you included, are either mine elders or have more experience than me, or some can be like me (experience wise), so all of you are extremely respectable for me.... I really meant it, I mean the Thank You, because all the people here gave me their time and effort and helped me re-think what I wanted, in other words tried to clear my line of sight...

Again, Thank You for all the respectable people here...
And It is not sarcasm, I truly respect you all.. We in East respect knowledgeable, elders and others.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother that was NOT sarcasm...

All of the people here, you included, are either mine elders or have more experience than me, or some can be like me (experience wise), so all of you are extremely respectable for me.... I really meant it, I mean the Thank You, because all the people here gave me their time and effort and helped me re-think what I wanted, in other words tried to clear my line of sight...

Again, Thank You for all the respectable people here...
And It is not sarcasm, I truly respect you all.. We in East respect knowledgeable, elders and others.

The written word can be misleading so my apologies and thank you for a nice post. Btw it's 'sister' lol. :)

Latest Discussions