Need advice on an art...medical issues

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Just an update. Things are going well, I can definitely tell an increase in my balance and strength already. I dropped the single Kali class per week and went to 3x a week on Wing Chun. Kali was cool, but not as physically intensive (no warm up exercises) and that is what I need right now.

A little off the subject, but what do you guys recommend for Wing Chun punches as far as bags? I have a soft bag that sits on a pole with a spring at the bottom (my wife had it unopened/used) and I just decided to try it out.

It's ok, but I feel it's not firm or stationary enough (it rebounds after the punch) I'm guessing a heavy bag would be better?

Thanks,
Tim

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Will do Danny

Class went well, realized how out of shape I am...warm up nearly killed me :)
Another student said they went easy on us for a Monday...hehe

Little overwhelming but that's to be expected when learning anything in the beginning.

But all and all a very good experience. Everyone is very nice. Looking forward to the next class.

Glad it went well! Welcome to martial arts. :)

As an aside, don't try to do too much too soon. Your Sifu will understand if there's some things you can't do or can't do as well as other students, so don't try and push yourself too much to try and keep up with the others.

FeederOfTrolls

White Belt
Reaction score
A little off the subject, but what do you guys recommend for Wing Chun punches as far as bags? I have a soft bag that sits on a pole with a spring at the bottom (my wife had it unopened/used) and I just decided to try it out.

It's ok, but I feel it's not firm or stationary enough (it rebounds after the punch) I'm guessing a heavy bag would be better?

Do you have something that could be used to weight the bag stand down? That might do the trick without incurring additional costs.

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you have something that could be used to weight the bag stand down? That might do the trick without incurring additional costs.

Hmm, never thought about that....good out of the box thinking :)

On another note, I earned my yellow belt last night. After watching the green belt tests, it's going to be awhile before I get chosen by Sifu to take those methinks hehe

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I responded before readint he rest of the posts.
Good Luck with your training.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, never thought about that....good out of the box thinking :)

On another note, I earned my yellow belt last night. After watching the green belt tests, it's going to be awhile before I get chosen by Sifu to take those methinks hehe

Congrats! I will also state my opinion on the belts....gaining levels are good goals for some, and useful tracking for others....but in the end, train because you enjoy training....and the rest will come.

Sounds like you've found a good fit in your school, and I'm glad to hear the physical training is improving.

Myself, I'm diabetic (type 2) and overweight, but I've been steadily improving (gaining strength/balance/flexibility and losing weight) and am now a Nanakyu (two levels from green) after a year and a half (and 9 months of that pregnant).

We all train from where we are and seek to improve ourselves...do it for you. And don't forget to enjoy what you are doing and learning!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both Live True and trudesea show that there is a martial art for everyone, and that most anyone can benefit from the arts. Both of you are to be commended, and I hope others follow your examples.

Latest Discussions