Need advice on an art...medical issues

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 36 and looking to start training in martial arts, but there are several things that might prevent me from doing so, physically and liability wise

1. I am type 1 diabetic (under control) for 32 years
2. I compression fractured by T5 vertebra when I was 18 (no problems)
3. My bone density is lower than normal at my age.
4. Because of #2, I have about 70% of the feeling from just above my knees to my feet and my balance is not 100%, so an art more focused on upper body usage is probably best. I cannot run, only speed walk at about 4mph on a treadmill.

I am guessing that no one is going to want to train me (I have not checked because I want to do some research first.) due to possible injury/liability

My main focus is to improve my bone density first, I know I can do that by lifting weights, but I'd like to learn something while doing that and one of my doctors mentioned martial arts.

So am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any advice,
Tim

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tim,
I am sure that there are instructors out there willing to help you. If they are not willing they are not the instructor for you. I am one of those instructors that would be willing to help. Let me know where you are and if I can offer suggestions I will.

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon, I live in Duluth GA (about 25-30 miles NE of Atlanta) I am willing to drive up to 30 miles for the right instructor.

Thanks,
Tim

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Tim I don't know anyone in your neck of the woods. Wish I could help, keep me updated though.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Definitely not barking up the wrong tree. There are many students that have some specific individual needs. Instructors too, I trained for awhile with a fellow that had lost the use of an arm. There are teachers here that have taught amputees, and children with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes (that learned how to control their diabetes with their training), as well as tough-as-nails law enforcement officers, sailors, soldiers, and bouncers that rely on their training to keep their body in one piece.

I think most instructors worth their salt would be glad to have you on board. Trust me, your medical issues are nothing that their insurance companies haven't seen before. You may need to bring in a letter from your physician saying you are cleared to train but I doubt you would need much more.

As you probably already know...any weight-bearing exercise will improve your bone density, including many of the activities that you'll be doing in martial arts.

If you'd like an idea of what some people with diverse abilities can do with their training, please take a look at these two video clips.

This is a clip of Boston area gentleman who specializes in teaching self-defense to people that are at a high risk for abuse or violence. His name is Mr. Eric Kondo, he is father of three, and just happens to be paraplegic.

The techniques are all shown in pairs. The first segment of the pair shows an undefended attack. The second repeats the same attack, only with Mr. Kondo defending himself.

[yt]oUZ4-2uXvro[/yt]

This next one is one of my personal faves. This is Mr. Roberto Rivas Castillo, of Santiago, Chile...a man who was never supposed to walk or talk...at all.

The first frame says that Roberto, at 8 months of age, fell gravely ill.

The second frame says his diagnosis was meningitis. His prognosis was that he would not be able to speak or walk another day.

The thrid frame says 26 years later, Roberto shows just how wrong science could be.

[yt]GSz7sOubV6A[/yt]

The frame at the end says Roberto Rivas Castillo, is today, a 3rd degree Brown Belt (3rd belt away from Black), AKKS - Chile.

Inspiring, isn't it? You can offer your potential school, and your fellow students, a lot of inspiration and drive, regardless of what your individual needs are. For what it's worth...I had orthopaedic surgery at age six to be able to walk properly, but that made running pretty much out of the question. I started Martial Arts at age 36 and have loved every minute.

Go get 'em. ;)

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That second video with Roberto is just simply awesome I just can say how awesome since I can't find the words.

ljdevo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 36 and looking to start training in martial arts, but there are several things that might prevent me from doing so, physically and liability wise

4. Because of #2, I have about 70% of the feeling from just above my knees to my feet and my balance is not 100%, so an art more focused on upper body usage is probably best. I cannot run, only speed walk at about 4mph on a treadmill.

I am guessing that no one is going to want to train me (I have not checked because I want to do some research first.) due to possible injury/liability

My main focus is to improve my bone density first, I know I can do that by lifting weights, but I'd like to learn something while doing that and one of my doctors mentioned martial arts.

Thanks for any advice,
Tim
Hey Tim,
Like the rest have said, you a definatle not barking up the wrong tree. A good instructor will cater for your needs to the best of their ability, althought there are certain styles that i would avoid with your conditions.

Firstly i would not reccommend styles such as:
Muay Thai
Full contact Karate
Full contact Kickboxing
MMA
(this is due to their high impact/intense nature)

Maybe you would be able to train in these styles no problem, but by the sounds of it i would start slower and then see if you can progress to the higher impact styles (if you wanted to do so)

The Chinese are masters at the "Soft Art" styles which would suit you a lot better. A highly overlooked style yet one of the most widley practiced in the world is Tai Chi, and it is also one of the most effective/deadly fighting styles there is (dont be fool by the slow puching hands forms). Tai Chi is often perscribed for post heart attack victims and other medical sufferers for its regeneration and health benefiting reasons. If you wanted something a little faster paced, try a Southern style of Kung-fu, there is a section for it on here. Southern styles of Kung-fu rely a lot more on the hands than the legs, therefore there are a lot less kicks, spins and large circular movements; so if you have minimised mobility these styles will be easier to participate within.

These style range from:
Wing Chun to Southern Praying Mantis

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should definitely train...and do some lifintg :)

I agree that you might want tos tay away from hard core full contact arts at first (until you get a better sense of what you can take). I would also avoid grappling arts. With low bone denisty, ti would be really easy for an over-zealous partner to break something inadvertently. Sene it happen, not pretty.

With that being said, Most karate, lots of kung fu, tkd or TSD, many FMA's...really there are a lot of options out there for you that woudl work as long as the instructor is willing to work with in your capabilities and needs (any instructor worth his/her salt shoudl do that anyway),>

your best bet is to open up the phoen book and do a google searcha nd see what is the your area. Visit some schools. Talk with the instrucotr. Do some research. After that, if you still ahve sonme questions, come back here and we'll be able to help you out.

Good luck! Happy training!

Peace,
Erik

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice all.

I just signed up for 2 classes of Wing Chun and 1 class of Kali/Escrima per week at the Francis Fong Academy.

Was just driving around and found the place and decided to check it out. Everything felt right as soon as I walked in the door. I enjoyed just talking with Sifu Fong, I bet the classes will be awesome.

My first class is Monday, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Thanks,
Tim

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for any advice,
Tim

Tai Chi has been known to be good at increasing bone density and is good at impproving the quality of life of those with health issues. All of the maladies that you have show good results from practicing it (with a reliable instructor of course).

If you want more than exercise, then you can find an instructor that teaches self defence and Tai Chi as a martial art as opposed to those new age, touchy feely charlatains that learn something and call themselves Sifu.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for any advice,
Tim

Welcome to MT

If you are serious about training the the first step I would recommend is to learn as much as you can about weight training.No matter which martial art you choose, lifting weights will make you better at it. Not all weight programs produce the same end results so don't worry if you don't want to end looking like the Hulk ( there is a large genetic component in getting to the size and builds that some of those folks get to in spite of what the ads say). A good program will help with bone density, it will offset the structural weakening in the joints the accompanies low bone density, and simply put it will just make you stronger, healthier, and feel better. No real down side to it. Even if you decide against martial art there is no reason not to put a weight training plan into effect then happily reap the rewards.

Okay, off the soap box.

As for a specific art. Look into some branch of kenpo. Most of the techniques are upper body, the kicking tends to be done at low level targets, and most of the schools I've seen don't require breaking which would be a serious issue for you.

Wing Chun or whatever variation in spelling as apprpriate. Mainly upper body along with low level kicking. Added bonus of neat looking weapons. I don't know how early wooden dumy training starts so that may be an important consideration.

As others have mentioned, Tai Chi would be good art for all the health benifits.

I know it isn't an MA but Yoga.

Now I just fired those off the top of my head in response to your criteria of mainly upper body focus and concerns with balance. The more important questions are these..

In addition to the general fitness aspects what are you lloking to get out of training?

Are you interested in mainly self defense?

Are you wanting to get into sport competitions?

What is available in the your area?

As far as barking up the wrong tree goes, remember this. There are lot of reasons to train in the martial arts, lots of systems, lots of schools, and lots of teachers, and so therefore lots of trees.

Sometimes you're going to bark up the wrong one.

But maybe you'll bark up the right tree. And let me what, in the 25 years I've been at this I've never regretted barking up that tree. I've met most of the people I love the most in the world through the martial arts. I have friends literally from one side of the country to the other due to my involvement with the arts. I've got a mountain of "war stories" that seem to involve getting punched or kicked but thats all right, pain goes away quickly(besides I can take pain, I married). Some of the Kenpo folks call it the Journey for a good reason. Bark up that tree. Check out what is in your area. Try out a few classes( don't sign any contracts, though), find a place you like. The wose case is that you can say later on down the road that " Yeah I tried that Karate stuff once, I didn't dig it."

Best of luck
Mark

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My best wishes and encouragement to you. I think you will find a strong movement across wide areas of the martial arts which reaches out and supports those with some challenges. MA is stronger for having you. Do what you can do, proceed and progress at a rate which is good for you. :yinyang:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am guessing that no one is going to want to train me

You'll be pleasantly surprised here! I bet you'll have lots of options. If you're concerned, start with something like Tai Chi until your own confidence in your stamina improves.

Look into a weapon art like iaido (Japanese swordsmanship). It'll give you many of the benefits you're looking for with fewer risks of getting an injury from contact. I see you mention Wing Chun and Eskrima...both good choices!

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for any advice,
Tim

I'm also from Ga. Up in your area, the choice of styles/schools should be significantly better than they are for me. For me, its either TKD.. or TKD. If you could find a good shotokan or really any Karate school. I think you'd be better off. TKD is really good, but you kind of need leg strength from the get go. However, you may find a good one that will work with you. We have some people in our classes who are at least 60, and although you are younger in age.. Because of your medical problems.. you'd for sure have issues doing some of the kicks TKD has. But, A good instructor would be more than willing to work through the adversary. Any good school of any style ought to be able to work with you and help you build up your bones.

Here's just a few schools I dug up with a quick google search. not sure how close to these you are, but they are all in north ga....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zenshin Healing & Martial Arts
Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Chin na / Chi Gung, Massage
2725 Mountain Ind. Blvd. Suite D
Tucker GA USA
Instructor / Owner Shihan Duke Swain
404-372-3582
[email protected]
http://www.zenshinhealing.com
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manchester School of the Martial Arts
Shin Neko-Do GoJu Karate
www.manchesterschoolofthemartialarts.com
Sensei Bob Wills, Sensei Cal Weatherford
mailto:[email protected]
104 Broad St.
Manchester, GA 31816
(706)674-2655
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chien Hong School Of Kung Fu
593 - Edgewood Avenue SE
Atlanta Georgia USA
Gary Mitchell
(404)897-1419/ (404)589-8811
[email protected]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lee's Family Martial Arts
Taekwondo, Hapkido
9950 Jones Bridge Rd, Suite 400
Alpharetta, GA 30022 USA
770-360-9700
Yuni Min
[email protected]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WORLD TAEKWON DO & HAPKIDO CENTER
IHF HAPKIDO,HANKIDO,HANKUMDO,ITF & WTF TAEKWONDO
4826 OLD NATIONAL HWY.
Atlanta, Georgia 30337 USA
404-768-0507
GRANDMASTER S.R. MORELAND
[email protected]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jim Fuller's U.M.A.S. Karate
American Karate, Kenpo
1820 Hwy 20 N.E.
Conyers, GA 30013 USA
770-860-1554
Jim Fuller
[email protected]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Korean Tigers Tae Kwon Do
Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do
2400 Satellite Blvd Suite 120
Duluth, GA 30096 USA
678-584-0737
Randy Martens or Master Cho
[email protected]
[/FONT]

here's the link to the full listing...

http://www.challengermartialarts.com/schoolsGA.htm

good luck, and welcome to the martial arts!​

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good Sensei will work with you...I joined a Shorin-Ryu dojo less that a year after having both legs broken ( Bi-Lateral Frac Tib&Fib)..The Sensei worked with me as my balance was poor and my kicks were worse..He concentrated on upper body techniques..

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon, I live in Duluth GA (about 25-30 miles NE of Atlanta) I am willing to drive up to 30 miles for the right instructor.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim, try Francis Fong Martial Arts Academy. Tremendous Wing Chun instructor. Depending on traffic 15-20 minutes from you.

3435 Medlock Bridge Rd
Norcross, Ga.
Ph. 770-416-7111
[email protected]

Danny

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Danny,

That's the school I chose. Went there last Thurs and spoke with Sifu Fong. Everything felt right with this school.

I signed up for 2 classes of Wing Chun and 1 class of Kali/Escrima per week. First class is in oh about 3 hours :) Little nervous, but more excited.

Will definetly post my experiences afterwards.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tim,
That is great. You have made an excellent choice. Please forward my best wishes to Sifu Fong and staff. Keep an open mind and enjoy your training. Looking forward to a review of your experiences.

Danny Terrell
Progressive Martial Arts Training Center

OP
T

trudesea

White Belt
Reaction score
Will do Danny

Class went well, realized how out of shape I am...warm up nearly killed me :)
Another student said they went easy on us for a Monday...hehe

Little overwhelming but that's to be expected when learning anything in the beginning.

But all and all a very good experience. Everyone is very nice. Looking forward to the next class.

Latest Discussions