Help Choosing a Martial Art?

Quarterstaff

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello to you all and thank you for taking the time to read/answer my question!

I am interested in a specific "style", if you will, that includes a group of various different techniques that I would like to apply in self defense situations.

I will begin with what i've already looked into, and please, do not take offense to my expression of opinion. I have my tastes and likings that differ to others.

I have looked into Ninjutsu. I liked many of the things that I saw in Ninjutsu, primarily the Taijutsu techniques, the evasion techniques, and the knife offense/defense techniques.

What I did not like about Ninjutsu, is that practitioners have to practice with swords and other types of weapons that I probably wouldn't find immediately ready for me - given that I am confronted by a couple of thugs as i'm passing by, walking through the park or down the wrong street.
Also, I did not find a good school near me in the Dallas area that was with Genbukan.

These are the techniques that I find useful for myself in a fight:

1.) Strikes to the throat, eyegouges, eyerakes, biting, headbutting, strikes to the groin, strikes to vital parts of the head, strikes to vital parts of the entire body.

2.) The use of hands, elbows, knees, AND feet.

3.) Great takedowns and at least SOME emphasis on grappling techniques. Also a good emphasis on ground-work (at least enough to be able to get back up on your feet. I would hate to bite the boot of another attacker while i'm wrestling/BJJ'ing around on the ground with his buddy.).

4.) Weapon defense techniques. Knife and gun disarms (whoever actually uses a gun up close probably shouldn't have a gun in their hands in the first place. they were designed for attacking an opponent/enemy at DISTANCES. Nevertheless, you still have the untrained "killers".), disarms with sticks and baseball bats.

5.) Evasion techniques. I think the best way to win a fight is to completely avoid one or get the hell out of it. It saves someone a big hospital bill and injuries, and/or having to pay money to post bond to get their butts out of jail.

6.) Good, strong stance(s).

I think that's the jist of it.
Note, everybody: I am going to be straight forward with you. Once I get into the fight, I do not care about the person I am fighting. What I know, is that I have to take them down or out fast, effectively, and as accurately as all possible. I don't care how much pain I will cause them. I don't know about other states, but in the state of Texas, if you are assaulted and you end up hospitalizing the criminal - tough **** on him! You more than likely will NOT be arrested. I'd highly recommend witnesses, though! Somehow, I have been in situations where I have called the police after coming out on top in a fight, and I have not been arrested once.
Remember everybody, like I said before: If I can avoid the fight, I already feel that I won. Does that make me a coward? Absolutely not.

Anyways, sorry about all of the irrelevant information.

I am only looking for ideas on which martial art would probably best suit me. I am only looking for the professional opinion of others (not their personal opinion, no offense).
If you're studying or have studied a particular martial art that you would like to recommend for me to try; please do so now!

Thank you all!

PS: I think some good information to add are a couple of details about myself. I am 22 years old. I am a little overweight (30% body fat). I am 6'1 and weigh about 235lbs.
Anything else you'd like to know to help you answer this question, I will be glad to answer!

Aries Kai

Hi Aries,

My advice is to try and find a good instructor that you respect, the instructor is more important than anything else.

"To defeat your opponents you must first learn to beat yourself"

TheLegend731

White Belt
Reaction score
I think in order to choose your martial art, you may need to review why you want to start a martial art?

Do you want to start one because of self-defense? If so, I'd recommend Krav Maga or Systema, which are much less traditional and focus entirely on disabling and even killing your enemy, using any available technique, dirty or otherwise.

Do you want to learn how to fight or survive in the ring? MMA might be for you.

Or do you want to go through a physical change? In that case, Karate's fist and body hardening might be for you.

Develop grace? Kung fu or wushu might be for you.

So it comes down to what your motivations are. Depending on how you want the art to work out for you.