MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, what is your favorite?
I used to like,
Jack Daniels #7 for whiskey
Crown Royal for Bourbon
Never did care much for Scotch (sorry Scotty)
Quervo for Tequila
Stolichnaya for Wodka (winks to Chekov)
Bacardi for Rum

But being sober 20 years ... well... thanks for the m-me-*hic* mmemmories :drink2tha

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have the money or inclination to become a whiskey connoisseur, but there are a few I like...

Bushmill's
The Macallan (not too fond of the over-peaty single malts)
Maker's Mark

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm definitely not an expert pallatr but I like lots of different single malts. My favorite compromise between price and taste is the glenlivet 15 yr French oak reserve.

I enjoy the peatiness of an islay scotch with a good cigar.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So many whiskies...so little time. ;)

To date, I've only explored single malts. My favorite depends on my mood and the company. LOL!

MacCallan (12 yr...don't care for the 18)
Oban
Cragganmore
Dalmore

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I generally favor Maker's Mark for social drinking.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For scotch I prefer the Ardbeg 10.

Bourbon I like the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Gotta love it's straight from the barrel 108+ proof.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to like,
Jack Daniels #7 for whiskey
Crown Royal for Bourbon
Never did care much for Scotch (sorry Scotty)
Quervo for Tequila
Stolichnaya for Wodka (winks to Chekov)
Bacardi for Rum

But being sober 20 years ... well... thanks for the m-me-*hic* mmemmories :drink2tha

Crown Royal is a Canadian Whiskey, not a bourbon.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Whisky (yes, yes, I know about the spellings), I prefer sour mash, Tennessee whisky. Surprisingly, George Dickel #12, being less expensive than other whiskies, is very good, as is the slightly less expensive George Dickel #8. Their Cascade Hollow entry-level offering isn't too bad either.

Basically, the state ABC stores charge $23.49 for a liter bottle of #12, a wee bit less for #8. 17 bucks for a fifth, so it's a great bang / buck.

Jack Daniels is also good, but not worth the extra several dollars for a liter bottle, compared to Dickel. Gentleman's Jack is excellent, but for that price, I'll just spend a wee bit more and go for the single malt scotch (Glenfiddich).

I'll gladly drink any of the above, though, just using some ice.

For scotch, I do enjoy certain single malts. Glenfiddich 12 year old is a good-tasting scotch at a reasonable price (40 bucks), as is Glenlivet 12 year, but the Glenfiddich 18 year old is ever so smooth, and still only costs 65 bucks. 10 year old Glenmorangie is decent, and has a nice, clean, crisp taste to it, although I do know that a good number of single malt snobs look down on me for enjoying it (no big deal to me).

I never did like Speyburn...

Back in October, I did enjoy a bottle of the Macallan 18 year old single malt, that I opened up after passing my sandan exam. :) Success never tasted so good!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I LOVE the smokey peaty Islay malts. Lagavulin. Laphroaig. Ardbeg. All good stuff. Impossible to find in Hawaii.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
okay, now for those of us who always drink on a budget...

i used to drink old crow like it was water. but now that i've matured, i prefer ten high or early times.

i also like black velvet. for some reason, i only drink scotch at bars, & i just order a well & never pay attention to the brand.

jf

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I visit my parents, I mistakenly take a bottle from my dad's Johnny Walker stash. It's cool, because there's more the next time I visit. But that's blended (JW Black) whiskey, right?

I like Jameison a lot... To go along with my Guinness kick.

In terms of vodka I'll go with clean, cheap, and quality (it does exist in the vodka world): Svedka.

Tequila: Petron

Rum: has to be Sailor Jerry. I love that woman. So many good laughs over that lady.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe that JW Black even made that list. It's okay, but it shouldn't be top 10. Definitely NOT number 1. WTF!
I agree. I'm much more incline to agree with Jim Murray or Michael Jackson than some webzine.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Independent is just "some webzine". It's a highly respected newspaper.

I think the reason they included JWB and put it first is the price. There had to be something that a person on a limited income could identify with.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Independent is just "some webzine". It's a highly respected newspaper.

I think the reason they included JWB and put it first is the price. There had to be something that a person on a limited income could identify with.
Even considering that it is a well respected newspaper, it was labeled as the 10 best scotches, not the best value for the price. JW black is a decent scotch, but even in blended whiskies, there are better values.

Latest Discussions