Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon

I apologize for coming across argumentative. Whiskey (and whisky) is a particular passion of mine. Taste in beverages is after all subjective.

Not to worry, good sir, I reckon your point was well made, especially with regard to the subjectavism (made up word?) of anything to do with alcohol :tup:.

Yum!

Bourbon: 1st choice Bookers straight, 2nd choice Makers Mark Manhattan.

Other: Bushmills Black

Yum!

Bourbon: 1st choice Bookers straight, 2nd choice Makers Mark Manhattan.

Other: Bushmills Black
Bookers is one helluve bourbon. I wish Wild Turkey would follow it's lead and not filter their single barrel bourbons.

I finished a bottle of Bowmore 18 year old Islay a few days ago. I'm sad to see the bottom because I know I'm not going to get anymore for a long time. My brother came out to visit and gifted it to me...that's about the only way I can get good real scotch out here.

I finished a bottle of Bowmore 18 year old Islay a few days ago. I'm sad to see the bottom because I know I'm not going to get anymore for a long time. My brother came out to visit and gifted it to me...that's about the only way I can get good real scotch out here.
I've never had the Bowmore. How does it compare to the big three of Islay?

I've never had the Bowmore. How does it compare to the big three of Islay?

It's pretty good, but the others do it better. The Bowmore has a bit more of a bite then I like. Although, when you drink it with some ice, it mellows a bit. I'd throw in some rocks and let it sit for a couple of minutes before drinking.

The Lagavulin 18 is the Valhalla of Islay Scotch. Nothing I've ever tried has ever come close to that.

It's pretty good, but the others do it better. The Bowmore has a bit more of a bite then I like. Although, when you drink it with some ice, it mellows a bit. I'd throw in some rocks and let it sit for a couple of minutes before drinking.

The Lagavulin 18 is the Valhalla of Islay Scotch. Nothing I've ever tried has ever come close to that.
Do they have White Horse blended whisky where you live? The primary malt in it is Laguvilin. It's pretty peaty and smokey for a blend.

Last edited:
Nope. We have hardly any selection of whisky out here. I imagine if I did happen to find it somewhere in Honolulu, it would be twice as expensive as on the Mainland.

I'll trade scotch for surfing lessons!

I did not know that about White Horse, though. I bet a friend could pick some up back in MN.

Nope. We have hardly any selection of whisky out here. I imagine if I did happen to find it somewhere in Honolulu, it would be twice as expensive as on the Mainland.

I'll trade scotch for surfing lessons!
If I ever find myself out thataway, I'll take you up on that!

One of these days, I'm going to go to Scotland with the specific purpose to visit some of these places and taste their Scotch. Of course, I'd do other things while there, but that would be high on the list. I'd love to visit the island of Islay.

One of these days, I'm going to go to Scotland with the specific purpose to visit some of these places and taste their Scotch. Of course, I'd do other things while there, but that would be high on the list. I'd love to visit the island of Islay.
Before you do, become a "Friend of Laphroig". You'll own a square inch of the distillery grounds and you'll get a free dram.

I'm not a big fan of heavy peat tones, so I prefer Glenmorangie 10yr, and I managed to hook my mother-in-law on it as well. Makes birthday presents easy. :D

Apparently, Costco (wholesale club, similar to Sam's Club) now sells their own brand of scotch. This is just a rumor, but I have heard that their home brand (Kirkland) is actually The Macallan, and that their home brand of vodka is supposed to be Grey Goose...

Looks like I'll need to experiment this weekend.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check also! Right now, they have a sale on Jameson. Since I don't drink much Whiskey, I can afford to have that be as cheap as I'll go.

Back