The Ten Best Scotch Whiskies

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The majority of the list is actually very reasonably priced. I may have to try some of those, though tbh I much prefer Kentucky bourbons.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. There are one or two on there to be tried methinks.

Highland Park is a good drop.

Laphroaig do a "Friends of Laphroaig" with the occasional interesting feature and a discount too at http://www.laphroaig.com/

Eeee, might have to have a wee drop now.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have given a lot of time in my life to attempting to develop a taste for Scotch. I cannot do it. I just don't care for it, nor for Irish or Canadian whiskey.

I love Bourbon, and I'm especially fond of Jack Daniels (not a bourbon, but similar). I know, I know, it's pedestrian and boring and whatever. Drunk by rednecks everywhere, low-class, and etc. But I love it. Neat, on the rocks, or with Coke.

I guess I'm just a low-brow, but man, it sure tastes good.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have given a lot of time in my life to attempting to develop a taste for Scotch. I cannot do it. I just don't care for it, nor for Irish or Canadian whiskey.

I love Bourbon, and I'm especially fond of Jack Daniels (not a bourbon, but similar). I know, I know, it's pedestrian and boring and whatever. Drunk by rednecks everywhere, low-class, and etc. But I love it. Neat, on the rocks, or with Coke.

Heathen

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

To each their own

There are more then 200 different Scotches out there, I'm sure there's one that will suit you. There's some scotches I just can't drink. Funny enough one of my favorites is a simple Bushmills.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Speaking of heathens and Scotch Whiskey...thought you might enjoy this:

The Parish Of Dunkeld lyrics (Silly Wizard)
O, what a parish, a terrible parish,
O, what a parish is that o' Dunkel',
They hangit their minister, droon'd their precentor
Dang doun the steeple, and fuddled the bell.
The steeple was doun, but the Kirk was still staunin',
They biggit a lum whaur the bell used to hang,
A stellpat they gat and they brewed Hieland whisky,
On Sundays they drank it, and ranted and sang.
O, had you but seen how graceful it lookit
To see the cramm'd pews sae socially join
Macdonald the piper stuck up in the poopit
He made the pipes skirl out music divine.
Wi' whisky and beer, they'd curse and they'd swear
They'd argy and fecht what ye daurna weel tell
'Bout Geordie and Cherlie they bothered fu' rarely
Wi' whisky they're worse than the devil himsel'.
When the heart-cheerin' spirit had mounted their garret
To a ball on the green they a' did adjourn
Maids wi' coats kilted, they steppit and liltit
When tired they shook hands, and then hame did return.
If the kirks a'owre Scotland held like social meetin's
Nae warning' ye'd need from a far-tinklin' bell
For a true love and friendship wad draw ye thegither
Far better than roarin' the horrors o' hell.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to put my aunts voice in my head in order to read that!!
ooohhhh this is my 1000 post, now I can retire! Figures it had to do with Scotch....

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

JD is good, though I prefer Jim Beam. Is that redneck enough? A guy I work with swears by Buffalo Trace but he gets a good price at a store over by his house on the Missouri side. It's over my budget here in KS.

This thread put the thirst on me, so I swung by the store on the way home and am now enjoying some Maker's Mark. Might have tried the offerings listed in the OP, but I would have had to go out of the way to a specialty shop, and I wasn't sure I would have got the names right. Was it McDoughghlblgn, or was it FitzMcbairndoughngln? :rofl:

Teufel Hunden

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe Glenlivet didn't make their list. The ones on there are pretty good, but nothing beats 21 year old Glenlivet, IMO. :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was it McDoughghlblgn, or was it FitzMcbairndoughngln? :rofl:

How dare you assume Scotch has an Irish name! :lol2:

You have to decide between MacDoughghlblgn or Glenbairndoughngln

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
How dare you assume Scotch has an Irish name! :lol2:

You have to decide between MacDoughghlblgn or Glenbairndoughngln

Yes, forgive me. What was I thinking?! I should have realized that wars have been fought in that area for less provocation.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any list that includes JW black label immediately loses all credibility imo.
I have been tasting and collecting whisky for 15 years now, and the best ones are always the single malt, unchillfiltered ones coming straight from the cask.

If you like Scotch whisky and have never tasted unchill filtered whisky, you can't really know how much you're missing out on. kinda like being one eyed and trying to discuss depth perception. One of the easier to find ones that you can find in retail bottlings is Springbank.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a useful site ...

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-50-Laphroaig.aspx

Now to comments ... let me see ...

Well, Laphroaig is an absolutely splendid dram, one that I'd usually say is my favourite - but I must confess that I am sometimes unfaithful and turn to Auchentoshan for comfort :eek:.

To those of you who mentioned Jack Daniels in this thread, let it be known that in the spirit {Yeah! Whisky based pun attack :D} of international friendship, I forgive you :lol:.

My missus sometimes drinks that beeeeep and even she has to have coke in it. I have seen a programme on the making of Jack Daniels and I can't deny the fellows are as committed and passionate as you could wish for. I cannot say that I really like what they produce, however.

In my youth, I did drink Jim Beam on occasion and Southern Comfort quite a lot - I think the 'sweeter' taste of it played better on a young palette than the muscular peatyness of true (quality) whisky.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of alchohol, but i like to drink a few or get smashed from time to time. I always liked the single malts- was introduced to single malts by my teacher. Lagavulin was the drink of choice. But also valued Laphroaig as it's my dads favorite. -

However, a few years back i got into making really amazing whiskey sours for myself. Whiskey sours don't taste good with single malts. Bourbon is the right whiskey for ws. Then i started appreciating bourbon more and more- also in coke or whatever, straight- i like that sweet taste and i find that the peat flavour of single malts can be a bit heavy sometimes.
j

Last edited:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe Glenlivet didn't make their list. The ones on there are pretty good, but nothing beats 21 year old Glenlivet, IMO. :D

Took the words out of my mouth. I'm not a scotch fan, but even I know that Glenlivet is supposed to be the best!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Same here! :) Broke out Jackson's Guide, and spent the next hour deciding on my next purchase.

This thread put the thirst on me, so I swung by the store on the way home and am now enjoying some Maker's Mark.

I've tried 3 on the list: Talisker, Highland Park and Auchentoshan. Age makes a difference, but I decidedly don't care for the island malts. Unique, but not friendly. Auchentoshan was...nothing special.

I prefer Cragganmore, Oban and of course...MaCallan.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the list of the two I've tried, my favorite was the Glenrothes. Got an empty bottle right beside me, the corpse of what I brought back from Scotland 1 1/2 years ago. I would recommend that one in a heartbeat.