The Ten Best Scotch Whiskies

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Age makes a difference, but I decidedly don't care for the island malts. Unique, but not friendly. Auchentoshan was...nothing special.

I prefer Cragganmore, Oban and of course...MaCallan.

:lol: Send your taste-buds back mate - they're broken :p

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is, of course, the beauty of 'proper' drinks - it is, like food, an area of human pleasure that caters for all tastes and desires.

We might laugh and poke fun at each others likes and dislikes but not a one of us has the right to dictate the tastes of another. There is no one 'right answer' (other than mine of course :D).

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've tried about half that list. Lagavulin belongs on top. It's hard to take seriously a ranking that puts Johnny Walker at #1. There's actually a Japanese whiskey that won the scotch taste tests in a blind testing. I've been trying to find that stuff. When I go to Japan, I'll bring home a bit.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only Japanese whisky I've drank in any quantity is Yamazaki ... let's just say that our estemed Eastern cousins are far batter at making swords :D.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my youth, I did drink Jim Beam on occasion and Southern Comfort quite a lot - I think the 'sweeter' taste of it played better on a young palette than the muscular peatyness of true (quality) whisky.

The peatiness is what I don't like, I think. As for the sweetness, well Southern Comfort is technically a liqueur as it is bourbon infused with fruits and spices. Beam has some sweetness but what I like is that it seems peppery to me, for lack of a better word. I like some fire in my firewater.
icon10.gif

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've tried about half that list. Lagavulin belongs on top. It's hard to take seriously a ranking that puts Johnny Walker at #1. There's actually a Japanese whiskey that won the scotch taste tests in a blind testing. I've been trying to find that stuff. When I go to Japan, I'll bring home a bit.

I believe it's a Suntory product. All kidding aside, folks, stay away from Japanese rum. You have been warned.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My personal favorite is Glenmorangie Quinta Rodan. The port cask finish is fantabulous!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only Japanese whisky I've drank in any quantity is Yamazaki ... let's just say that our estemed Eastern cousins are far batter at making swords :D.

Same here. That may be why I never acquired a taste for Whiskey, Scotch, or Bourbon.

Sake though....... ;)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

I bought a bottle of Japanese whisky some time ago in my favorite whisky shop. It was very cheap. About the price of a JW red label.
While it was indeed not a great whisky, it was passable, and good for those evenings where you just want to drink something strong before going to bed.

Latest Discussions