School Search Update

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok..here's the deal. I FINALLY got in touch with Sifu Sam Ng, the Choy Lay Fut instructor I have been wanting to train with since I knew we were moving. It turns out they have moved to Chicago's China Town which is about 50 miles from me and a LONG drive in traffic around here. He said they will be opening a suburban location next year but as of now there is not much in the way of legitimate kung fu instruction outside the city.

He referred me to a personal friend of his who he has known for 10 years. Said "Sifu Tony" is a full-time real estate agent but will teach Wing Chun out of his garage. He gave me Sifu Tony's phone number and said tell him he referred me. He also gave me his cell phone number and said call if I need anything and in the meantime he will be at some demonstrations and invited me to come watch the and meet him.

This was Tuesday. I have to call Sifu Tony today, he is still located quite a bit away but because of his location the drive will be much easier. I'm guessing maybe 45 minutes. I don't know if he'll train my son too...if not I guess I'll enroll him in the tkd school discussed in my other thread.

Anyway, I'm happy to be making some headway on continued training. It has been a real bear. I've been trying to reach Sifu Sam since January. Persistence pays off! Woohoo!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats, JT! I would hope that Sifu Tony, if he agrees to train you, would do the same for your son!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really hope everything works out for you 2. Keep us posted!
How do u feel about doing WC?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck to both you and your son! I would love to have my kids interested in martial arts!

Miles

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I will keep you posted. Been too busy to make my call today...*sigh*...

How do u feel about doing WC?

I'm looking foward to it. I'm really interested in Choy Lay Fut but good instruction is hard to come by so I am happy to continue training a southern style. In the Sil Lum I was doing the Plum Blossom stuff we did is alot like WC so I think there will be some things I recognize. In any case, I am just happy to be getting back to some training.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish you lots of luck! Do keep us informed on how it goes, alright?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck I have a feeling you will do great. I have have you not been training do to moving and all?

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Good luck I have a feeling you will do great. I have have you not been training do to moving and all?

Yeah, it's been a big out of state move and has taken some time to get settled in. Had to transfer my kids with school and just a bunch of stuff on top of the actual moving aspect. I had been trying to reach the CLF instructor since Jan. which is when I found out we would be relocating, his website (until recently updated) was of no help. I have gone over my forms a time or two but that has been the extent of any practice since we moved in April and I have been searching for a new school like crazy with no success. So I am very excited with this opportunity.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
I have gone over my forms a time or two but that has been the extent of any practice since we moved in April and I have been searching for a new school like crazy with no success.

Whatever else happens, don't let go of the stuff you have already learned. Keep up with that stuff, even if you never have another instructor in that style. It's still valuable. You know what you have learned, you just need to find your own motiviation to train it, and not rely on someone else.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My last sentence just butchered the english language but I am glad you was able to decipher it. :)

Well let us know how your first class goes.
I have not trained in a month and I feel the effects now. I need to start back up but I feel sooo laaazy

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Whatever else happens, don't let go of the stuff you have already learned. Keep up with that stuff, even if you never have another instructor in that style. It's still valuable. You know what you have learned, you just need to find your own motiviation to train it, and not rely on someone else.

You are absolutely right. I need to get motivated to practice more on my own. I have been getting distracted too easily by household chores, studying, (Martial Talk :p ), to practice my kung fu. And I really, really, miss it. My sifu was kind enough to make me a tape of all the material for my next rank...(so when I go back for visits I can try testing). I am going to go over it again today, as well as all my already learned material. Thanks for the encouragement. :asian:

My last sentence just butchered the english language but I am glad you was able to decipher it. :)

Well let us know how your first class goes.
I have not trained in a month and I feel the effects now. I need to start back up but I feel sooo laaazy
LOL..I knew what you were saying...haha..

I'll keep everyone posted. I can't say I have felt the effects of not training from a physical standpoint because I exercise regularly, but I have been missing my training very much. I am eager to get started again and it's so easy to be lazy about it when you don't have a next class to look forward to. But FC is right, I need to find my own motivation and not rely on someone else.

Latest Discussions