Wushu in the Olympics?

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been told that the Chinese decided not to enter wushu as their demonstration sport for the Olympics. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...I haven't heard anything. Where did you hear it?

Check out this article, which states wushu will be a competition during the Olympic Games, but it's not going to be one of the official 28 sports.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard the same thing Jade. I wish they would have it as a sport and with it being in Beijing to introduce it as a sport would have been great.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard the same thing but cant seem to find any thing in print saying so.

I would love to watch it as a demonstration at the olimpics

OP
P

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my students said he'd read it in Inside Kung-Fu, I think...it was to be the Chinese demonstration sport.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pstarr said:
One of my students said he'd read it in Inside Kung-Fu, I think...it was to be the Chinese demonstration sport.

I get that magazine....I'm a little behind in reading though...I'll check out the last 2 issues and see if I can find anything...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only reference I found regarding the Olympics in Inside Kung Fu is in the April issue pg. 26 under the title "4 Named National Kung-Fu, Tai Chi Judges" and it doesn't say much at all. Here is the only quote addressing the Olympics:

Since Chinese kung-fu will be represented at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, worldwide demand for better quality and technique is at an all-time high.
Which to me sounds like kung-fu will actually be one of the sports. It doesn't sound like anyone really knows what's going on...lol

Latest Discussions