Anyone know Sifu Mike Marshall

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Im new to the CMA section of the forum. I was wondering if any of you all have heard of or trained with Sifu Mike Marshall? I was looking up other school in my city on the internet and came across his. He teaches mainly Hung Gar but also teaches a little of Mantis style, Choy Lay Fut and Long Fist. If anyone can tell me some stuff about him other than whats on his site that would be great. I have also tried to search for him through out the forum and have found nothing. Thanks

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta a website?

The name doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean I don't know who he is... just can't place him.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the website for his school and it also has some stuff about him on there.

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's who I thought it was.

I don't know him personally but I know the reputation(s) of his teacher(s). If they say he's ok to teach under their name, then he's ok to teach.

Both Bucksam Kong & Kam Yuen are "old school" tachers. You don't get permission to teach unless you've shown you can teach with the knowledge & experience to back it up.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's who I thought it was.

I don't know him personally but I know the reputation(s) of his teacher(s). If they say he's ok to teach under their name, then he's ok to teach.

Both Bucksam Kong & Kam Yuen are "old school" tachers. You don't get permission to teach unless you've shown you can teach with the knowledge & experience to back it up.

So it is safe to say that he would be a good teacher?

B

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So it is safe to say that he would be a good teacher?

B

Well it's safe to say his training is solid & secure & has approval to teach in the open under his teacher(s) name .

A good teacher... probably, but we all know from person to person. My best advice would be to go & see. Chances are yes he's a fine teacher, but there's always the fit between the teacher & student that needs to happen. You can't find that until you see.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's safe to say his training is solid & secure & has approval to teach in the open under his teacher(s) name .

A good teacher... probably, but we all know from person to person. My best advice would be to go & see. Chances are yes he's a fine teacher, but there's always the fit between the teacher & student that needs to happen. You can't find that until you see.

Thats cool, I was doing the research for my friend. He wants to start training as but wants to do something different that me.

I am training in SKK and am only an orange belt. I would love to get out and broaden my knowledge one day but figure it is best to wait until i have reached my black belt.

Thanks for the help.

B

jtw1380

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently train at least 3 times a week with Sifu Mike. He teaches Choy Li Fut, and Mantis, but focuses on the Hung. He focuses on all aspects of the art, and truly teaches you how to use it, which is rare in this day. You will get in shape, and you will learn how to apply techniques from the forms, along with other general fighting techniques. If you live in Louisville, or close, and you are serious, send me an email at [email protected].

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im a student of Sifu Mikes as well, and I must say he is very much the real thing. His condition alone lets you know he knows his style, and his attention to detail in forms and weapons is exceptional.

Hes the single reason why I came back to martial arts a year ago.

mryddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hungfistron or jtw1380....

Can you guys tell me the current location of your kwoon? I am on the verge of visiting a few schools and I am most interested in learning Hung Gar... just not sure if you may be to far away or not... I am going to call and try to meet up with Mike and see if he can help me with some questions I have.

Thanks... hope to meet you guys soon....

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
I havent been to classes in over a month like I posted to you earlier, when I was training with him we were at Tom Sawyer Park. I believe he has a school though now, I'll call him or one of the Students and find out...

mryddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks.... I have his number, I just am not sure what to do. You know if he does the free intro classes or not? Also how big is his class (member wise)... and what did you pay?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I havent been to classes in over a month like I posted to you earlier, when I was training with him we were at Tom Sawyer Park. I believe he has a school though now, I'll call him or one of the Students and find out...

I know that park!!!! I've been to the BMX track there once for a nat'l meet years ago... nice part of town & beautiful country.

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
He charged about 75 dollars a month, but you had to pay 2 months in advance. And I did 3 a days for 9 months, then I did one class a week. His class size when I took classes on Sat was about 4 to 5 guys. And yes your first class is free...

mryddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I met Sifu Mike tonight for the first time... Just wanted to say I was pretty impressed over all... he has a lot of skill you can see that for sure... And he has some talented studants... I like his charisma and drive... I plan on going back agn to watch to try to decide what to do next... Kung Fu looks rather chaotic though.... lots of moves I am not use to... really powerful stuff....

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great to see that you liked what you saw. You wont find many like Sifu Mike, hes truly one of the best. Once again I'm happy you decided to give it try, good luck man!

I may try to head to his class on next sat, so maybe I'll get the chance to meet you.

mryddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that would be cool... if you like I will say something to him about you? Other than that I am just about hooked on it already... He is really talented and that art form looks really powerful.... You should try to be there Sat... I have a lot to learn (looks so complicated) but really cool. My one and only concern other than I am in really bad shape is that I have a bad back due to bulging disk surgery.... so I hope that doesn’t screw me out of this deal...

Also I work for abig company downtown as a network engineer in their NOC... and long story short I am trying real hard to get training time in the corp. Gym (real nice gym attached to weight room, steam and sona room as well as racquet ball and so on)... not sure if that will work out but at the very least the gym floor would be super great to work out on. They are concerned with legal issues like what may happen if someone gets hurt… So who knows…

I am looking forward to meeting you... all the other guys are really nice and talented as well.

Sifu Mike is the real deal though and that is what I am looking for... he is really talented.

see you there.

:)

class today you know
10:30 and he said it will last all day... (he has two of his students up today from west Virginia) been studying for 17 years in Hung Gar...

good stuff

Latest Discussions