MA tradition

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i'd like to share my teacher-finding expeirence with someone who are still on the way to get a master's instruction. i don't know how this thing's going abroad, all my knowledge are limited in China.
i have two taiji masters,one can be called as sifu, one can't. because sifu and teacher are totally different. it's also the same difference between student and tudi. in common understanding, if you are a tudi, you have a chance to be taught the key parts of MA from sifu, but if you are not, you are not even accepted by your master. so in CMA, there are so-called "indoor" and "outdoor". in teaching outdoor student, masters like to teach as many as possible at the same time. but in indoor teaching, masters shall teach only one or two students hand-by-hand each time. chinese idiom says "being a sifu in one day is being the father for whole life".
being a tudi of my sifu is a long way. my sifu likes to spend his morning in public park and drink some tea. i have asked him to accept me as a tudi, he refused at first but allowed me to follow him learning taiji. so every time when i had spare time in the morning, i went to the park. i always arrived there at least 1hour before he arrived and did what he has taught me. when he arrived, most of time he didn't give me any instruction. he just sat and chat with others and drank tea. he only gave me some instructions once or two each time. several months later, he led me to his sifu who are the grandmaster in local area. no test, no push hand, just talk. i think i have passed that exam. but my sifu still closed his door in front of me. after 1 year's test, he accepted my Koutow and a cup of tea i hand over to him. at the time, i have the right to call him sifu. from then on, i started to know the internal parts of taiji. it's different from what i learnt before i became his tudi. i am still on the way to be accepted as a tudi by the other taiji master.
i wish you all could be accepted as a tudi of your master.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So I can then assume Tudi is Shanghai Dialect then?

Wu style in Shanghai, which one, Northern like in Beijing or what the Wu family now teaches from the time they spent in Hong Kong?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no clue what the technical language/regional stuff is about, but let me say to ggg: CONGRATULATIONS!

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
to XUE SHENG:
Tu di is not a shanghai dialect but mandarin!
in shanghai, most of wu practitioners belongs to the lineage of Ma Yue Liang, called "circle form". a little of practitioners are practising "square form", the lineage of which confuses me, because what i have been told from my master is not the same as said by other Wu practitioner.

To: kidswarrior
thanks for your kind words!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
to XUE SHENG:
Tu di is not a shanghai dialect but mandarin!
in shanghai, most of wu practitioners belongs to the lineage of Ma Yue Liang, called "circle form". a little of practitioners are practising "square form", the lineage of which confuses me, because what i have been told from my master is not the same as said by other Wu practitioner.

Thanks

Then is sounds as if your Wu is closer to that of Beijing (Northern Wu) than what the Wu family later developed in Hong Kong since it comes from Yang Banhou > Wu Jianquan > Ma Yue Liang, but I could be wrong.

And Congratualtions

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NO, say it ain't so! :(

Of COURSE it's not so.... I'm just trying to be nice :D

But seriously folks

If it is Yang Banhou > Wu Jianquan > Ma Yue Liang it is my understanding that it is, for all intensive purposes, considered Northern Wu. But I am not in China and I don't train Wu so it is possible I am mistaken.

When the Wu family left Beijing for the South they changed the form, after they got to Hong Kong (I believe), to what some call Wu and others (me) call Southern Wu. This is not Hao style which, just to make matters more confusing, is also called Wu, Wu/Hao or Hao.

Southern Wu or the Wu of the current Wu family is somewhat different from Northern Wu, and just to confuse you a bit more Shanghai is considered South if yuou are a Beijingren

I did train a wee bit of Wu many years ago but only one form and I believe it would have been considered Northern as well.

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
about the history of Wu, frankly speaking, i don't know much.i don't think it makes any good to my practice.
and after finding my current master, i am not even allowed to read any books related to Taiji. my master said that if i don't reach the certain level, reading couldn't give me any help, and sometimes may cause misleading.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of COURSE it's not so.... I'm just trying to be nice :D

But seriously folks

If it is Yang Banhou > Wu Jianquan > Ma Yue Liang it is my understanding that it is, for all intensive purposes, considered Northern Wu. But I am not in China and I don't train Wu so it is possible I am mistaken.

When the Wu family left Beijing for the South they changed the form, after they got to Hong Kong (I believe), to what some call Wu and others (me) call Southern Wu. This is not Hao style which, just to make matters more confusing, is also called Wu, Wu/Hao or Hao.

Southern Wu or the Wu of the current Wu family is somewhat different from Northern Wu, and just to confuse you a bit more Shanghai is considered South if yuou are a Beijingren

I did train a wee bit of Wu many years ago but only one form and I believe it would have been considered Northern as well.
Wish I knew what wu were talking about. Is this related at all to the wu in wushu, or say, the Wu in Tim Cartmell's Shen Wu?

Hey, I took German in college. You know, in case of the Fourth Reich? :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wish I knew what wu were talking about. Is this related at all to the wu in wushu, or say, the Wu in Tim Cartmell's Shen Wu?

Hey, I took German in college. You know, in case of the Fourth Reich? :D

I am mostly of German but I am to busy working towards world domination though Xuefu to think about it :D

Wu is the family name all of the most popular (most known 5) Taiji styles are family names Chen, Yang, Wu, Wu/Hao, Sun

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
about the history of Wu, frankly speaking, i don't know much.i don't think it makes any good to my practice.
and after finding my current master, i am not even allowed to read any books related to Taiji. my master said that if i don't reach the certain level, reading couldn't give me any help, and sometimes may cause misleading.

If you are happy with your sifu and your training that is all that matters