Video Clip revisited and Taiji class update

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a great taiji class last night, I got an awful lot of Yang/Tung history and it was rather amazing to hear. I also learned my Sifu knows one heck of a lot of people in the Yang taiji world today and who their teacher or teachers were and one heck of a lot about Yang history. I also got a comment on this video clip that was once posted on MT from my Sifu, he actually brought it up while we were talking about Taiji lineages and got to Wu style, I did not bring up this clip.

I am not sure if he was there to watch it, saw the clip or both. It is possible he was there he did travel with his Sifu from time to time; the guy doing the form in the very beginning (not fighting) was his Sifu. My Sifu said the actual match was a pathetic display of martial arts and that the Taiji was Wu style, nothing against Wu style but against the practitioner. He said all the training vanished and it just became a brawl there was no Taiji in it as far as he was concerned.

The reason I posted this is because at one time on MT this was a big issue that was used to show the ineffectiveness of CMA. Even my Sifu a long time CMA practitioner feels it is not a good example of CMA, just wanted to note this

Also ironically last week in Xingyi my Xingyi Sifu made a similar comment. He was showing us variations of Piquan; from different stances for possible encounters (the santi stance is not going to be correct or possible in all encounters). He said that he never understood why people with years of training when it came to a real fight lose all their training and skill and it just turned into a brawl.

My Yang sifu also had some other comments on the state of Taiji today and to make a long story short and less inflammatory lets just say my Yang style sifu is rather impressed by what he has seen done by Chen Zhenglei and Chen Xiaowang.

But back to my Taiji class, I had my legs worked to death with a jain (straight sword) form he had me drill over and over again, got sore legs today but it’s ok. The rest of the class had its usual social time. Also good news, my Sifu said he wants to start push hands again in the advanced class next week. And if the new people are not happy and do not want to train it they can do something else or leave early.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions