Responsibility of a Martial Artist

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a question for all of your folks here on the forums. In my style that I study Shaolin Northern Longfist there is a term called Wu De. Martial Morality. It touches on many different topics but one that is interesting to me is that Martial Arts as we all know is meant to be used in Self Defense only. However it is also taught in my school that MA is also to help protect and defend those that can't protect themselves. I understand that people stepping in to help others is happening less and less these days , mostly due to legal ramifications, and other factors.

WHat is everyone's feelings on this topic ? Do you feel it is our responsibility to step in as a trained MA-ist ? or not ? I look forward to all of your answers.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Arts as we all know is meant to be used in Self Defense only. However it is also taught in my school that MA is also to help protect and defend those that can't protect themselves. I understand that people stepping in to help others is happening less and less these days , mostly due to legal ramifications, and other factors.

WHat is everyone's feelings on this topic ? Do you feel it is our responsibility to step in as a trained MA-ist ? or not ? I look forward to all of your answers.

Interesting subject there Bowser! I'm glad people out there are emphasizing Wu De!!!

I do feel that it's the responsibility of the able to do for those that cannot do for themselves, so long as it is legal and moral to do so; and so far as it does not forfeit the life of the one who is 'stepping in'. ((They can still act, but then it's not "wu de"....it's WONDERFUL, but I won't say that it's a 'responsibility' to do it.))

thanks for the interesting topic. I hope it generates a lot of good discussion.

Your Brother
John

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel that, as a moral/ethical responsibility, I have a duty to help those who need it. As a martial artist, I may have more tools with which to do that than other people - but even so, how I help will vary based on the situation; I may intervene, I may call the police, I may look for others to help as well. There is no one answer that works for all, or even most, situations, as each situation, along with each person involved, is different every time.

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
'Step in if you can do something about the situation. Do not get involved if there is nothing that you can do.' is something that i read in a buddhist book not too long ago. It takes lots of humility and a good knowledge of your own abilities...
This changed my attitude on 'how to step in', instead of being blunt and direct, i am becoming more creative in ways 'to do something', more proactive and a lot more subtle... in MA and in life.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My responsibilities are to my family first friends second others last. One problem with stepping in is how do you know who is in the right I know the police have a problem at times with people stepping in there are lots of times when you may be hindering more than helping.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're putting your life on the line. It's a huge favor and has nothing to do with any concept of responsibility, except the feeling you yourself carry with you so what you will do is what you will do, right or hospitalized. I will always call the police if I feel there's anyone in danger. I won't step in to save an old lady from a knife weilding mugger unless I can sneak up on him with a blunt instrument and even then I might kill him, enter the legal rammifications. One of the toughest calls you can be forced to make, ignorance or extreme risk. It's a situational call above all but in general, I put my skin before a stranger's but a phone call is free.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel that, as a moral/ethical responsibility, I have a duty to help those who need it. As a martial artist, I may have more tools with which to do that than other people - but even so, how I help will vary based on the situation; I may intervene, I may call the police, I may look for others to help as well. There is no one answer that works for all, or even most, situations, as each situation, along with each person involved, is different every time.

Very well put. I don't believe a martial artist has more or less responsibility than ordinary people.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very well put. I don't believe a martial artist has more or less responsibility than ordinary people.
While essentially a "me too" post, my opinion echoes Kacey's and Brian's. When first reading the OP, it occurred to me that a martial artist has no more or less responsibility to help others than anyone else.

Seth T.

White Belt
Reaction score

The responsibility may not be higher, but there will probably be a higher percentage of situations where a martial artist feels like they are equipped to help than the average "man on the street." That seems like the tricky part to me, and is where your skills and thoughts about determining risk would really have to come into play.

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
I myself don't feel morally obligated to jump into a dangerous situation without any real thought just because I am a martial artist. To do so would be foolish and contrary to what my art teaches. I do, however, recognise the fact that I may be able to defend myself better than someone who has no training, and that the skills I have could be used to help someone who needs it. It is important to remember that we are still human, and although our training may make us feel more confident in our abilities to handle a hostile situation, each one must be carefully considered on it's own merit. I will of course do whatever I feel the sitution calls for in order to help- be it calling the police or running for backup- but I don't think I should have to put my life in danger needlessly because I have martial arts experience.

Cool as it would be, we're not a band of superheroes :p

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
'Step in if you can do something about the situation. Do not get involved if there is nothing that you can do.' is something that i read in a buddhist book not too long ago. It takes lots of humility and a good knowledge of your own abilities...
This changed my attitude on 'how to step in', instead of being blunt and direct, i am becoming more creative in ways 'to do something', more proactive and a lot more subtle... in MA and in life.

And then the question is does one know if they have the ability to do something about the situation or not.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
This has been a very thought provoking thread for me. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were walking near an open area by my townhouse. As we walked by, one of the local gangs (just moved to the area) were talking about fighting tactics. Needless to say, I started thinking to myself about countering these tactics and believe that I had the ability to do so rather quickly....until a couple of days later I learned that a gun was used the night before by one of these hoodlums. Because of that, I would have 2nd thoughts on when to and when not to set in.

One just doesn't know. I would have no hesitation about calling the police...and have done so to inform them of what I overheard. Granted they probably already knew of these gangs...but I thought it was important enough to tell them what I heard.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The responsibility may not be higher, but there will probably be a higher percentage of situations where a martial artist feels like they are equipped to help than the average "man on the street." That seems like the tricky part to me, and is where your skills and thoughts about determining risk would really have to come into play.

Nah, true self defense or help doesn't come in the form of punching/grappling skills imo.

OP
bowser666

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great responses from everyone so far !! I am glad to hear all of your thoughts. It is a very deep , and thought provoking question , so I want to ask all of you to slightly flip the situation and think about it this way.

Let's say a loved one or friend etc.... is in a situation ( you are not around ) would you prefer a MA-ist to help or not help ? That is if 911 has already been called but threat on life is immediate ? I personally would want someone to step in and help.

The thought of someone hurting a loved one ( or anyone for that matter) and noone helping infuriates me. I would step in and do what I could to help save another. Not helping or doing anything is almost as bad as the one commiting the violent act.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With great power or ability comes great responsibility. Just make sure you know what's going on first.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great responses from everyone so far !! I am glad to hear all of your thoughts. It is a very deep , and thought provoking question , so I want to ask all of you to slightly flip the situation and think about it this way.

Let's say a loved one or friend etc.... is in a situation ( you are not around ) would you prefer a MA-ist to help or not help ? That is if 911 has already been called but threat on life is immediate ? I personally would want someone to step in and help.

The thought of someone hurting a loved one ( or anyone for that matter) and noone helping infuriates me. I would step in and do what I could to help save another. Not helping or doing anything is almost as bad as the one commiting the violent act.

I understand why you're asking this question in regards to martial artists - but honestly, I don't think that MA training automatically means that someone should interfere in a dangerous situation. There are many types and levels of MA training, and the blanket assumption inherent in your question - that MA training of any type or level means that MAists have the ability, and perhaps even a duty, more than that of other people, to interfere in such situations concerns me deeply. While there are no doubt those who would disagree with me, people, in general, have a moral and ethical obligation to help the helpless to the best of their abilities - no matter what those abilities are, no matter how they were attained - training in MA does not confer any type of invincibility, nor does it in any way alter that moral and ethical obligation; as I said before, it provides more tools - but that's it. There are many people who would disagree with me on the obligation part; that's their choice. But MA training has very little to do with my belief; it affects only the tools available to me should I be presented with such a situation.

Were someone dear to me to be involved in such a situation - yes, I sincerely hope that someone would help. Call the police, distract the problem person(s), tackle the problem person(s) if it could be done with a reasonable hope of success - whatever could be done without escalating the situation, and increasing the risk to those already involved, or those trying to help. But again - I would hope that anyone who could help would do so to the extent of their abilities while remaining safe - regardless of those abilities. People who think that having a ranking in an MA makes them invincible, and/or equivalent to LEOs are wrong, and dangerous.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as someone is helping out, that is what is the good thing. A martial artist does mean he is trained enought for what maybe going on. Remember every stituation has a different scenirio, so we must take each one at the time of it happening and who was there in order to make the right decissions.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Before I would step in (beyond a phone call that is), I would have to determine first if I had the ability to help. Sometimes you don't. But if I did, my next question for myself would be, are my other responsibilities secure (kids safe) -- which frees me to help. My final question would actually be a prayer. I would really want to know what Someone much wiser than I has to say about it, and if He can use me. If all those are answered with "yes", then I would help, even at risk to myself.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for all of your folks here on the forums. In my style that I study Shaolin Northern Longfist there is a term called Wu De. Martial Morality. It touches on many different topics but one that is interesting to me is that Martial Arts as we all know is meant to be used in Self Defense only. However it is also taught in my school that MA is also to help protect and defend those that can't protect themselves. I understand that people stepping in to help others is happening less and less these days , mostly due to legal ramifications, and other factors.

Personally, I don't want to get involved physically. IMO, it could bring on more trouble that you originally had. If I do see something happening, I won't hesitate to call the police. Give as much detail as possible of whats happening. If I step in because I see some guy hitting his girlfriend or wife, whats to say that when I step in to help her, she doesn't turn around and start attacking me? You'd think that something like this wouldn't happen, but it may.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My friends Kasey has a very logocal response to this query. Based on hearing this from one of my instructors...I tell my students confidence is not knowing how to punch or kick, but when to do so. I beleve this to be the case here.