Rear leg vs lead leg (skipping) side kick - which is harder and which is supposed to be harder ?

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is skip lead leg. I think you can get more of your weight to travel toward the target a greater distance more easily and coordinate that movement with the kick to ad power as opposed to using the rear leg. I think the difference may be in the skip with both feet on the ground as opposed to simply pushing off with one foot as the rear leg moves forward. I have no scientific justification - only experience.
Great example the kicker's momentum is moving forward not up. His whole body is behind the kick.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
But your argument didn't address that. It addressed something unrelated to his statement.

It adresses exactly that. All else equal, switching trajectory of a swing half way negatively affects the power. You wouldn't think that at first glance but in practise it does. You are not as strong after the pivot as you are before it. You are equally strong when throwing a roundhouse kick though because the motion is consistent.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great example the kicker's momentum is moving forward not up. His whole body is behind the kick.

There is no one correct way. If you want to kick from where you are standing but you want extra power, jumping up increases momentum behind the strike.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
And in case you didn't notice, my kick travels down, so the jump makes even more sense.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to hear my victim complain after I break his thigh in half:

"You weren't doing what you called it, so my knee is actually fine! "

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the bag doesn't lie, then you can test it yourself and get your own answers.

The eye test isn't very good when there's power in both. Better to hear from people who've been kicked.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Delivered with proper technique and efficiency either will be powerful. Really the only difference is how the kick gets to the chambered position.

Personally I prefer a sliding front leg side kick. As you left you leg to chamber push off with the back foot to slide forward and deliver the side kick. It can also be done with a round or hook kick.
Love these kicks. Sneaky & wicked it you have good speed.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is skip lead leg. I think you can get more of your weight to travel toward the target a greater distance more easily and coordinate that movement with the kick to ad power as opposed to using the rear leg. I think the difference may be in the skip with both feet on the ground as opposed to simply pushing off with one foot as the rear leg moves forward. I have no scientific justification - only experience.
Sir, do you have information on the tool they are using to hold the boards?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It adresses exactly that. All else equal, switching trajectory of a swing half way negatively affects the power. You wouldn't think that at first glance but in practise it does. You are not as strong after the pivot as you are before it. You are equally strong when throwing a roundhouse kick though because the motion is consistent.
Quit comparing a linear kick to a circular kick. The argument just does not work, in either type of kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would like to hear my victim complain after I break his thigh in half:

"You weren't doing what you called it, so my knee is actually fine! "
Sooo, the kicks in your videos are going to break the biggest bone in the body?

Now that is rich.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sooo, the kicks in your videos are going to break the biggest bone in the body?

Now that is rich.

I meant the thing that holds up the knee.

Anyway, a roundhouse travelling down is still called a roundhouse... A low kick roundhouse that is. A side kick travelling down has for some reason a new name but it is a side kick.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quit comparing a linear kick to a circular kick. The argument just does not work, in either type of kick.

That's what I was saying. Quit comparing them as if travel extent decided it.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will admit that I screwed up the question by having an oblique lead version.

I will post a new lead one traveling like the extention of my rear leg one. Then we will see if it's comparable power

Latest Discussions