Rear leg vs lead leg (skipping) side kick - which is harder and which is supposed to be harder ?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't have to.

It can't lie. I know if I hit the spot and when I missed it based on the bags objective reaction. I have no trouble generating power with any one of those three shots. I condensed my kicks to avoid wrecking the apartment and they still had "kime" (Korean?).

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The bag doesn't lie.
The video doesn't lie. Watch the video labeled "Lead and skipping" and step thru it frame by frame. All your "skip" does is replace you front foot with your rear foot, there is nearly zero forward movement for your body. By the time you start your kick the forward movement has stopped. I suggest some private lessons with your instructor.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can't lie. I know if I hit the spot and when I missed it based on the bags objective reaction. I have no trouble generating power with any one of those three shots. I condensed my kicks to avoid wrecking the apartment and they still had "kime" (Korean?).
That's kind of the point. You're convinced that any difference is in the kick, when it's really more about how you do the kick.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The video doesn't lie. Watch the video labeled "Lead and skipping" and step thru it frame by frame. All your "skip" does is replace you front foot with your rear foot, there is nearly zero forward movement for your body. By the time you start your kick the forward movement has stopped. I suggest some private lessons with your instructor.

Regardless of whether there is much forward movement, there is a jump up and then thrust.. And this clearly creates force due to the momentum it creates.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's kind of the point. You're convinced that any difference is in the kick, when it's really more about how you do the kick.

I am convinced that a swing is more impactful than an pivot and a thrust, at least for human beings. Is that a controversial view point?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether there is much forward movement, there is a jump up and then thrust.. And this clearly creates force due to the momentum it creates.
So in your mind, vertical movement creates forward momentum? You better talk to your physicist friend. You know, the one who doesn't know what the formula for kinetic energy is.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
So in your mind, vertical movement creates forward momentum? You better talk to your physicist friend. You know, the one who doesn't know what the formula for kinetic energy is.

Lol no. I said that even If I don't have forward momentum, I still have momentum from the jump. When I do the rear leg pivot version I also have momentum but not from a jump.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's more ignorant than controversial.

Let's try it. If you wanted to recruit maximum power generation with a baseball bat, would you rather swing up and then poke forward, or would you swing circularly? I use the baseball bat as an analogy to your leg in an effort to enlighten you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's try it. If you wanted to recruit maximum power generation with a baseball bat, would you rather swing up and then poke forward, or would you swing circularly? I use the baseball bat as an analogy to your leg in an effort to enlighten you.
I'd do different things in different situations. The notion that any one technique is best for all situations is more than naive.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd do different things in different situations. The notion that any one technique is best for all situations is more than naive.

The situation is generating as much power as possible, with a swung baseball bat. I did not say anything about pragmatism.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it that were true, rear leg side kicks would be equally hard as rear leg roundhouse kicks. The reason they aren't is because the leg switches direction in the side kick
There's more than one thing that can impact power. As he said "all things being equal", if you were to take just that one factor, the one that travels longer has more potential for power. So a close side kick has less potential for power than a farther side kick (to a point), and same with roundhouse kicks. Doesn't mean that a far side kick can be more powerful than a roundhouse kick or vise versa, that's an entirely different question than the one he was answering entirely.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is skip lead leg. I think you can get more of your weight to travel toward the target a greater distance more easily and coordinate that movement with the kick to ad power as opposed to using the rear leg. I think the difference may be in the skip with both feet on the ground as opposed to simply pushing off with one foot as the rear leg moves forward. I have no scientific justification - only experience.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's more than one thing that can impact power. As he said "all things being equal", if you were to take just that one factor, the one that travels longer has more potential for power. So a close side kick has less potential for power than a farther side kick (to a point), and same with roundhouse kicks. Doesn't mean that a far side kick can be more powerful than a roundhouse kick or vise versa, that's an entirely different question than the one he was answering entirely.

I don't believe that he is correct even in an all else equal situation.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is skip lead leg. I think you can get more of your weight to travel toward the target a greater distance more easily and coordinate that movement with the kick to ad power as opposed to using the rear leg. I think the difference may be in the skip with both feet on the ground as opposed to simply pushing off with one foot as the rear leg moves forward. I have no scientific justification - only experience.

Good kick

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since we are talking about a side kick, I think a better analogy would be a pool cue.

Latest Discussions