Rear leg vs lead leg (skipping) side kick - which is harder and which is supposed to be harder ?

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rear leg

Lead and skipping

Lead and skipping regular speed

I have two questions up for debate:

Which is harder, and which is supposed to be harder?

Meaning, if I have a harder lead leg, does it mean that my rear leg is not doing what it should be doing or vice versa?

I am not ruling out: either one, as an answer

Discuss!

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rear leg

Lead and skipping

Lead and skipping regular speed

I have two questions up for debate:

Which is harder, and which is supposed to be harder?

Meaning, if I have a harder lead leg, does it mean that my rear leg is not doing what it should be doing or vice versa?

I am not ruling out: either one, as an answer

Discuss!
Harder in terms of able to do well technique wise ? Ability to land on an opponent ?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't edit the topic. I meant power.
All things being equal, the greater the distance the leg travels the more 'potential' for power you can generate. If your target is moving or has the ability to block or evade the kick, the question is not as simple to answer as other factors come into play.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
All things being equal, the greater the distance the leg travels the more 'potential' for power you can

The lead leg has a leap though, and it doesn't switch direction. Compare hook punch on a bag with a leaping hook and you'll notice that the leaping one is 30% harder.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The lead leg has a leap though, and it doesn't switch direction. Compare hook punch on a bag with a leaping hook and you'll notice that the leaping one is 30% harder.
Leaping hook ? Not a term I have heard before.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose, if you were only hitting bags, the greater the distance the leg travels the more 'potential' for power you can generate.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose, if you were only hitting bags, the greater the distance the leg travels the more 'potential' for power you can generate.

If it that were true, rear leg side kicks would be equally hard as rear leg roundhouse kicks. The reason they aren't is because the leg switches direction in the side kick

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If it that were true, rear leg side kicks would be equally hard as rear leg roundhouse kicks. The reason they aren't is because the leg switches direction in the side kick
Hahaha, ok, well you seem to have all the answers you need to hit a bag hard. Good luck.

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Delivered with proper technique and efficiency either will be powerful. Really the only difference is how the kick gets to the chambered position.

Personally I prefer a sliding front leg side kick. As you left you leg to chamber push off with the back foot to slide forward and deliver the side kick. It can also be done with a round or hook kick.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hahaha, ok, well you seem to have all the answers you need to hit a bag hard. Good luck.

No I don't. The confounding variable is that lead side kick has a very short path, and this needs to be taken into consideration. I think leaping weighs more than travel path but that's just me..

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From the chamber position the kicks are the same and should deliver equal power. However the rear leg will take longer to get chambered and be telegraphed more.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No I don't. The confounding variable is that lead side kick has a very short path, and this needs to be taken into consideration. I think leaping weighs more than travel path but that's just me..
You may want to consider how you are interacting with people here. If you ask a question and someone takes the time to respond, perhaps you may want to consider the information they are trying to convey to you before you give them the answer to your own question.

Seems like you are only interested in how much power you can generate to kick a non moving object like a bag. I'm not sure how useful that information is but I am sure you have a very good reason to ask it. Good luck with that.

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You may want to consider how you are interacting with people here. If you ask a question and someone takes the time to respond, perhaps you may want to consider the information they are trying to convey to you before you give them the answer to your own question.

Seems like you are only interested in how much power you can generate to kick a non moving object like a bag. I'm not sure how useful that information is but I am sure you have a very good reason to ask it. Good luck with that.
He did the same thing on the Reddit, now he has moved here to troll folks. Asks a question or for feedback them explains why you are wrong.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
He did the same thing on the Reddit, now he has moved here to troll folks. Asks a question or for feedback them explains why you are wrong.

If somebody writes a potentially false categorical statement based on an ommited premise (change of trajectory), I will use my friend science and correct them.

Latest Discussions