Rear leg vs lead leg (skipping) side kick - which is harder and which is supposed to be harder ?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kime is Japanese. I believe in Korean they just use "him" (힘) which translates as power, force or strength. That's the only term I've heard Kukkiwon instructors use on courses.

It's not power per se, but pointed power. The power you intend. For instance if you throw a push kick but intended a thrust kick, you failed. So something like pointed and profound power output is how I view kime.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kime is Japanese. I believe in Korean they just use "him" (힘) which translates as power, force or strength. That's the only term I've heard Kukkiwon instructors use on courses.
In simplest terms ‘kime’ means decision or to decide.
gyeojeong would be the Korean term. Honestly, I do not remember hearing this said very often.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
But there are ITF affiliates in the US also so what's the deal there? Did they follow Chois sons ITF? Why aren't they under USTF?
Prior to the USTF leaving the ITF the USTF was the only official body for the ITF in the USA for a long Time. Then (now) GM Hwang returned to the ITF and was allowed to form KATU as another body. So there were 2 USA ITF Affiliates. There was a scattering of some other old timers who remained somewhat independent but maintained ties to the ITF. When the Son's group split off some elected to follow him. When the NK group split off some elected to follow them. Some of those later left those groups to join the original core group. So, now there are various National bodies in the USA affiliated with Various groups using the ITF moniker. The USTF has no official ties to any of the ITF groups.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kime refers less to power and more to focusing that power at a specific point, so may have a somewhat different connotation than the Korean him. As to what InfiniteLoop was trying to say using the word, it's vague as usual. To really understand some MA concepts, training and study are needed.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Prior to the USTF leaving the ITF the USTF was the only official body for the ITF in the USA for a long Time. Then (now) GM Hwang returned to the ITF and was allowed to form KATU as another body. So there were 2 USA ITF Affiliates. There was a scattering of some other old timers who remained somewhat independent but maintained ties to the ITF. When the Son's group split off some elected to follow him. When the NK group split off some elected to follow them. Some of those later left those groups to join the original core group. So, now there are various National bodies in the USA affiliated with Various groups using the ITF moniker. The USTF has no official ties to any of the ITF groups.

Are your students allowed to compete in any of the ITFs? Does their allowance depend on if they got their belts prior to the USTF severing ties with ITF(s)?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill Wallace was known for only using lead foot kicks.
My teacher only trained "head lock" and "leg twisting" on his right side. I asked him why and he said, "For general skill, you train both sides. For door guarding skill, you train only one side".

For health and balance, to train on both sides is better. But for combat, to train one side is better.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My teacher only trained "head lock" and "leg twisting" on his right side. I asked him why and he said, "For general skill, you train both sides. For door guarding skill, you train only one side".

For health and balance, to train on both sides is better. But for combat, to train one side is better.
This should not be taken to extremes though. I know a few people that have bodies messed up because they only trained/used one side for specific activities.

If you mess up your health, then you will not do as well in combat, as if you kept care of your health. So some balance is important, even for combat.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This should not be taken to extremes though. I know a few people that have bodies messed up because they only trained/used one side for specific activities.

If you mess up your health, then you will not do as well in combat, as if you kept care of your health. So some balance is important, even for combat.
You don't have to train the same technique on both sides. You can train different techniques on different sides.

If you always put right side forward, you may train right jab and left cross. You have to switch sides in order to train left jab and right cross. Is that really necessary? Right jab and left cross can still balance your body.

Do you always inverse your training form (right punch -> left punch, left kick -> right kick)?

Last edited:

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes the Martial comedy on our site is even funnier than Master Ken.

If you always keep your right side forward, you only need to train your

- right leg skip in side kick, and
- left leg turn back side kick.

Do you need to train

- left leg skip in side kick, and
- right leg turn back side kick,

that you may never use? What's your thought?
I was taught if you do 10 kicks on one side you do 10 with the other side. By doing this you balance the body and if caught off guard you can fight from either a left or right stance. Also being able to switch stance can throw off you opponent.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was taught if you do 10 kicks on one side you do 10 with the other side. By doing this you balance the body and if caught off guard you can fight from either a left or right stance. Also being able to switch stance can throw off you opponent.
You were taught correctly, in my opinion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree.

HOWEVER, training for a professional match, that could be a different story.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am unorthodox from birth. However, I was a pretty unbiased and even fighter.
I do strongly feel a person should work their ‘go to’ techniques more, no matter which side they throw them from.
I tried never to use them to the point of predictably but they are the go to techniques for a reason.
Polish, polish, polish.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Let's take the "shin bite" as an example. In order to develop this technique, you have to spend time to use your shin born to press against a small tree (or pole). The more time that you spend on it, the stronger that your technique will be. So you have 2 options here.

1. Spend 1 hour on your left leg, and spend 1 hour on your right leg.
2. Spend 2 hour on your right leg, and don't train your left leg.

You will have different result depend on which method that you may choose.

1. Average good on both legs.
2. Very good on right leg, bad on left leg.

IMO, there is no right or wrong but trade off.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Spend 1 hour on your left leg, and spend 1 hour on your right leg.
2. Spend 2 hour on your right leg, and don't train your left leg.

You will have different result depend on which method that you may choose.

1. Average good on both legs.
2. Very good on right leg, bad on left leg.
Oshima Tsutomu, Shihan, highest ranked student of Funakoshi Gichin and founder/head of Shotokan Karate of America said "Eliminating one weakness is better than adding one strength."

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you solve the copyright issue of the dobok now that all ITF affiliation has ended? Do you guys have a new manufacturer?
I don't need to solve anything since it's not "My" organization. I do know years ago USTF obtained USA protection for the "Tree" on the back of the uniform and certain other ITF marks. After the breakup various ITFs modified those marks somewhat.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do know years ago USTF obtained USA protection for the "Tree" on the back of the uniform and certain other ITF marks. After the breakup various ITFs modified those marks somewhat.

Why do courts waste tax payers money with that type of nonsense? Same with the ITF logo dispute. It's beyond autistic.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't have to train the same technique on both sides. You can train different techniques on different sides.
I think the body will naturally follow this path of balance if allowed. I think of my training like a great oak tree. My root and footwork must be strong on all sides. So from the waist down the right side and left side must be the same strength and ability. Rising above the footwork and root, are my branches (strikes). The left and right sides of a tree have different size branches. This is like our kicks and strikes where the right side has a different preference than the left.

Even babies will naturally choose which hand to use for reaching.

Latest Discussions