Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
we dont have guns here unfortunately. The only ones with guns are the bad guys which get the illegally.

Yes, I have no practical experience but I know that this technique here sucks. His right side is totally open for attack.
Go to 7:00

Tell me that this technique does not suck.

I just don't want to learn anything which sucks, like this technique in the video. Why is this so hard to understand?!

I am simply unsure what really works and what does not work. It makes no sense to learn stuff which isn't going to work.

What sense does it make to learn such a technique as in the video which offers NO protection? He can get knocked out
any time while doing this technique.
So let me some up your sentence "I know nothing yet I know this sucks "

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No! I DO know theoretical stuff about protecting your centerline.

And having one side open is NOT good. I know enough to know that.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You mean you watched someone talk about it okay come on then sensai give us a good detailed explanation on what the centreline.

Yeah you said it /theoretical/ sometimes there's a difference to reality

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or Kyokushin if you want martial arts stuff - i.e. belts, uniforms, etc.

Boxing and Kyokushin are both complete arts that include ground fighting - you knock your opponent to the ground, and he doesn't get up. Both include weapons - YOU are the weapon.

I am kyokushin sparring today. I am going to get head kicked like a fool.

By the way op. Go in to a boxing school ask them those questions.

A lot of martial arts will let you try out the instructor in sparring. Without it ever becoming a death match.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys. I have only been on this forum for a short time, but it has become obvious that this guys is just a troll who is toying with everyone. No one on the planet is this clueless given the number of times people have

He's obviously just baiting everyone. No one is this dense. He's one, or an amalgam of all, of the following:

Enfant Provocateur
Lamer
Loopy
Troller

You overestimate people.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You really don't. Your comments illustrate as much. And until you actually start training, you won't.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
we dont have guns here unfortunately. The only ones with guns are the bad guys which get the illegally.

Yes, I have no practical experience but I know that this technique here sucks. His right side is totally open for attack.
Go to 7:00

Tell me that this technique does not suck.

I just don't want to learn anything which sucks, like this technique in the video. Why is this so hard to understand?!

I am simply unsure what really works and what does not work. It makes no sense to learn stuff which isn't going to work.

What sense does it make to learn such a technique as in the video which offers NO protection? He can get knocked out
any time while doing this technique.

You don't know what sucks till you deal with it. Gotta get in the gym and train my man.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With your superior understanding of what constitutes a technique that doesn't suck, it is obvious that you can now eliminate all arts that would use a two handed control on a weapon bearing limb from your consideration of which art to not train in. Just think, no need to check out, wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, aikido, hapkido, the FMAs, most Chinese arts, Silat or other Indonesian arts, combatives, Krav Maga and others.
Or you could actually study an art (just pick one) and realize that while your sucky technique exposes the entire right side of the defender, he has the BG right hand locked up, controls his balance and can completely destroy the bg wrist, shoulder and elbow if an attempt is made by the bg to counter on his offside from an unbalanced position. But you find fault because, after all, you have never trained.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I have wonder...are you jittery about trying our first class? You shouldn't be. Most classes are filled with good people who just want to learn and had no knowledge before trying too.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So the technique does work if done fast enough? Cause in the video he wasn't doing it fast.

I was just thinking that if a technique only works if you're fast enough then doing this technique is risky cause if you're not fast enough you
have a problem.

@ stonewall

But I already have some knowledge and this makes me more critical. Teachers probably don't like it when students ask too many questions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the technique does work if done fast enough? Cause in the video he wasn't doing it fast.

I was just thinking that if a technique only works if you're fast enough then doing this technique is risky cause if you're not fast enough you
have a problem.

@ stonewall

But I already have some knowledge and this makes me more critical. Teachers probably don't like it when students ask too many questions.
Actually, I hate it when students don't ask questions. I just want them to be INFORMED questions. Yours are not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

have a problem.

@ stonewall

Fast is a complicated subject. Because you not only have genetics and speed training. You are also dealing with efficiency and ringcraft.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

But is better than copping a knife in the eye.

Your options become a bit limited. So yes you are open to getting punched. But two hands will raise the likleyhood that you will actually catch the knife.

It is a tricky one to resolve there.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

have a problem.

@ stonewall

NO YOU DON'T you have no knowledge at all those videos have taught you nothing and anyone with even 1 lesson of training knows far more than you do

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because your cup is already full.

He is doing it slowly because he is demonstrating. It's not rocket science. :)
Okay, I'm going to hijack this thread in a possibly useful direction.

This is the problem with evaluating an art, style, or school solely from videos. Many videos are meant to teach or illustrate techniques. To do this, they normally show a very pure version of the technique, which requires using a compliant partner. To see the effects of a non-compliant partner on excellent technique, watch Olympic Judo matches; you can't see most of the technique because of the struggle, and what you can see is super-fast. This is actually what leads to many of the "TMAs suck" comments, when they are based on demonstrations, practice sessions using exercises for muscle memory, and teaching videos. None of those show what the techniques look like "in the wild", since the technique's street application will often be too messy and obscured by adjustments to the situation to be easily recognizable by anyone but an experienced student, and even that experienced student won't be able to see some of the finer points of the principles used. (Wow, long sentence. I'm exhausted.)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

have a problem..
Please, typing slowly and using small words so I can understand, explain how you believe ANY counter technique will work if it is done slow. PS. bonus points for thinking that if your counter technique doesn't work while someone is trying to stab you, it might be "risky". Because there was no danger of that before you attempted your technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.