Really discouraged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was thinking Paddy Cake Paddy Cake. But on 2nd thought might be too violent for him.
Are you talking about internal or external styles of patty cake? But then again, both roads lead to the summit, I suppose.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I mean sure, I ask a lot of questions. But does this really mean that even if I learnt self-defense
it still wouldn't work for me?! Does this argument make sense?

If you don't have the will to fight a particular technique is immaterial, you don't even have the will to get off your butt and visit a school in person.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said it elsewhere and I will say it again. This is what you say to an instructor who has attracted your interest...

1. The reason you want to learn martial arts.
2. Any physical or emotional limitations you may have.

Then ask if their art is right for you. You will get more than just a yes or no. When you ask questions in the formats you do, whether you know it or not, you are directly challenging the guy (like the time you asked "is your art better than...") or indirectly by saying "I look at all these self defense videos and the techniques just don't look like they work."

No one is going to want to deal with such a person.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I emailed a school which offers self defense and in my email I asked a few questions and
described a few things which worry me, like for example that in demo videos techniques all
work but that demo videos aren't very realistic and that I worry that you learn stuff which doesn't
work in reality.

And the guy replied and said that what counts is wether you have a fighting spirit and that if you're
a "head person" you can train whatever you want and you'll still get knocked out instantly!

Is this true? He also more or less told me that he wouldn't want me as student.

Now I'm really discouraged.

I mean sure, I ask a lot of questions. But does this really mean that even if I learnt self-defense
He can obviously tell your a keyboard warrior. A guy who tells an instructor about all the weaknesses of martial arts yet has never done one class what's he supposed to think. If you gave him all the questions you've been putting on here then he's right to say he doesn't want you...good school obviously not a McDojo...or maybe you're so annoying even a McDojo would be embarrassed to have you as a student

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No I did not tell him that HIS stuff sucks. I told him I watch many videos and that my concern is that the demonstrations
in the videos are usually never realistic and not like in a real fight.

Maybe he just told me that he wouldn't want me cause he realized that I'm not fooled by techniques which suck. This is also possible.

I told him I watched a video where they showed a jiu jitsu technique against sharp weapons and that the technique wasn't good imo
cause he left his whole side open for an attack.

Maybe he just realized that I'm a critical thinker and that he doesn't want people in his class which actually think and ask questions.
Oh because you're revolutionary genius who is the only one who knows the truth right? Yeah he gets sick of stupid questions like duhhh do you teach me to block duhhh do I need to pay you

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is it you want out of martial arts again? Or do you just want to get people to answer you because you feel lonely? If so, that's OK, but let us know. If there is something in particular you want out of martial arts, there are a lot of people here who are experienced in learning, and some of them teach as well. When most of the answers start sounding the same, maybe you should pay attention.

As to your statements in your post here. You know you know nothing about learning martial arts. Why do you constantly challenge people here as if you did? You seem to criticize every school you look at, and without visiting them. What knowledge do you have to do that? None. You don't know enough about any art to do that. I have seen videos on MT that have received a lot of criticism. That criticism is often not because the technique doesn't work, but that the art of the criticizer doesn't think it will work. A twist on the old saying; if your only tool is a hammer, anything you see that doesn't look like a nail won't be any good. It doesn't mean there is only one good martial art, it just means many MA have a different focus.

As you have been told over and over again, go to some of the schools in your area and watch. If you have questions, ask them. If you want to criticize people with much more experience in an art than you will ever have, keep your mouth shut, take your hammer with you, and go look for something else.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He may be like most people in life who have no time for someone trying to waste their time!

If you want to train, find some place and train. Quite wasting people's time here or elsewhere!

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys. I have only been on this forum for a short time, but it has become obvious that this guys is just a troll who is toying with everyone. No one on the planet is this clueless given the number of times people have
He may be like most people in life who have no time for someone trying to waste their time!

If you want to train, find some place and train. Quite wasting people's time here or elsewhere!

He's obviously just baiting everyone. No one is this dense. He's one, or an amalgam of all, of the following:

Enfant Provocateur
Lamer
Loopy
Troller

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a solution to this problem: everyone could just stop responding to anything he says. Don't even look at his posts, so the thread history shows zero views. Eventually he will get bored with his monologue and go away.

It will take discipline, the temptation will be tremendous. But we can do it, if we choose to so unite.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a solution to this problem: everyone could just stop responding to anything he says. Don't even look at his posts, so the thread history shows zero views. Eventually he will get bored with his monologue and go away.
Ah, I see. Look at the left column, and the name of the OP will be there. Ignore all threads started by this particular troll (the listed OP). Done!

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Look at the left column, and the name of the OP will be there. Ignore all threads started by this particular troll (the listed OP). Done!

I'm not seeing it. I can ignore the user, but not the threads. Can you be more specific?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you ignore the user, then future threads started by this user will not show.
Ah -- sorry, I was ignoring in the traditional sense of simply not directing my attention, but not in the "Ignore User" sense. Got it. Ignoring.

Edit: Actually, now that I've ignored the OP, this thread doesn't show up in the feed, even though it's an existing thread. Good news all around.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I emailed a school which offers self defense and in my email I asked a few questions and
described a few things which worry me, like for example that in demo videos techniques all
work but that demo videos aren't very realistic and that I worry that you learn stuff which doesn't
work in reality.

And the guy replied and said that what counts is wether you have a fighting spirit and that if you're
a "head person" you can train whatever you want and you'll still get knocked out instantly!

Is this true? He also more or less told me that he wouldn't want me as student.

Now I'm really discouraged.

I actually have some sound advice if you are willing to listen. I've been doing Brazilian Jujitsu as my primary art (sport), and I do basic self defense seminars when I can. I carry a handgun for self defense and so a lot of my self defense stuff is more about either getting out of the way and NOT fighting...or getting up and getting away from someone. Space is my friend. Everything I do...I try and use my head and think about how do I avoid the fight...and how do I get out of the fight quickly. Why?

1) There is ALWAYS a bigger, better, badder, tougher, meaner, nastier fighter. ALWAYS!

It doesn't matter how good of an instructor you are...your instructor probably wouldn't last in a fight with a juiced up a Brock Lesnar. But your instructor might know some dirty techniques to keep himself alive long enough to pull a gun, keys, a knife, a rock, pen, or another person to help out. The reality is that he has to have have learned those techniques to use them. And he has to have drilled them long enough for them to be reaction...hard wired.

Self defense is a mindset. And you have to shape that mindset first. You shape that mindset by learning techniques and learning how to avoid fights. By playing mental games, and then learning how to turn off the chess game and just MOVE.

So the short version: get in and take classes. Just like any other sport. Being great doesn't mean you always win. It means you give yourself a better chance.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
we dont have guns here unfortunately. The only ones with guns are the bad guys which get the illegally.

Yes, I have no practical experience but I know that this technique here sucks. His right side is totally open for attack.
Go to 7:00

Tell me that this technique does not suck.

I just don't want to learn anything which sucks, like this technique in the video. Why is this so hard to understand?!

I am simply unsure what really works and what does not work. It makes no sense to learn stuff which isn't going to work.

What sense does it make to learn such a technique as in the video which offers NO protection? He can get knocked out
any time while doing this technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions