Realism in Training

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
After teaching a student a new technique or maneuver I always say, "Now do it 400 times and let me know when you're done."

Of course, they never can do it that many times in one class. LOL

But that's the point.

Then they usually bring that to my attention at which time I remind them, "Repetition is the key." :)

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At the age of 32 I can reflect back upon my early 20's.

I was a hot head. I was often involved in the bar scene, and I've been in about 20 street fights.

While I wouldn't consider any of these brawls to be life or death, I will say that when you are in a "real fight", there isn't any "conscious" decision making going on.

It's actually more like a rush, and then an adrenaline based blur, and you use the techniques that your familiar with by INSTINCT.

If you have to think of the motions before you hit someone with a reverse side kick, then you just got tackled onto the floor and you'r getting your face punched in.

If you should find yourself in a street fight that you cannot avoid, use the skills that you have mastered that come naturally to you, and forget about trying to land anything fancy.

All of the following are going to assist you in a real life fight:

1. Sparring
2. weightlifting
3. kata
4. self defence
5. cardio

I'd say that being "big" has been the greatest "natural asset" to me in a fist fight, but now that I'm about to become a blue belt and have a little more understanding of the mechanics of fighting........I'd say that I would probably get hit a LOT LESS now that I know a thing or two about martial arts and reaction timing.

Keep training everyone. Train for everything in your classes as if your life might eventually depend on it. Push yourself to the limits.

The only way you are going to get stronger is if you rush headling into PAIN, and then push past your previous barriers of tolerance.

Do this each week......

....and each week you will become a better fighter.

OnAQuest

PS-- With that said. Unfortunately......nothing prepares you for a real world conflict.........like having been in a few real world conflicts. Your first streetfight isn't going to go like you expect, but here is to my good thoughts that you prevail in that event!!!!!

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Both definitions looked correct. You can be attacked by ambush, a sucker-punch, and you can also be attacked in an alley. Now I would train for this by doing what are called "mass attacks" in your class. Mass attacks are meant for what you will see on the street, not like sparring though for you do not wear equipment. What happens is you get three or four other guys around you and you start out one at a time they will come up to you and throw any attack, you have no idea what it will be, but you have to defend yourself against it. Whatever comes to your mind first is what you have to do.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A fight as i see it in the broad sense, is when people are in disagreement or abusing themselves or others in the wrong way.
Fighting, one of the most important trivialities in life. However, peace and being in aggreement with one another are truly important.

Even if you hate everyone, you still can change that, you too, are someone. Self defence/fighting, defence/attack. Life/death. Agree/ disagree. It's ok but it's not OK...
sorry as i can't really express myself better at the moment... oh well, no worries, right.?

j

j

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, ...to learn to fight? ...is to fight to learn...

Real fights? ...is the not the same as sparring...(sparring does have a place to learn)

Real fights..NO rules, anythng goes,anything around you can be use as weapons to attack you...anyone can jump in anytime against you too...

Yes WE agree..."physical condition" is the MOST important to your survival.....OUT of gas? .....OUT of luck for sure....

Aloha, sprints...good stuffs to do...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, ONE more way to truely know real fighting? ....is to actual box with everything you got...

Two things will happen...One..you will find your actual "condition" of your body..

2nd, NOT as easy to hit tarkets (hands only here)...Research this further...and try it!

Aloha,

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is great, the harder the better. Getting used to being hit and reacting to it ect...For real life it helps to be aware of whats going on around you. use your eyes, ears, gut feelings, wits, ect... go over senarios in your head, what if's. Allways rember to breath, scan, breath & keep moveing.

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both definitions looked correct. You can be attacked by ambush, a sucker-punch, and you can also be attacked in an alley. Now I would train for this by doing what are called "mass attacks" in your class. Mass attacks are meant for what you will see on the street, not like sparring though for you do not wear equipment. What happens is you get three or four other guys around you and you start out one at a time they will come up to you and throw any attack, you have no idea what it will be, but you have to defend yourself against it. Whatever comes to your mind first is what you have to do.

That drill you call a "Mass Attack" is called "Bull In the Ring" in our school (and in most others).

Are you saying that being attacked in an alley is somehow different than being attacked by ambush or sucker-punched? Not sure what you meant by making that particular distinction.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the best way to train for a fight? Not a contest, but a real fight in the real world. Like Socrates used to do before getting too far into his debates with the Sophists, let's define our terms:

1) The first definition that I have of "Fight" is being attacked without provocation. Ambushed, sneak-attacked, sucker-punched, approached in an alley and cornered, someone pulling a weapon on you or threatening you in some other way. This would also include those who work in a profession that requires you to engage in physical violence to maintain safety and order.

Numer #1 would clearly be self defense which is legal.

2)The second definition is the old "Monkey Dance" where two hot heads decide to throw down in the parking lot or back alley or school yard etc. and face off in a sort of fisticuff duel.

#2 Is a fight, which is definitely illegal. I would advice against doing anything illegal.

To me, the second one can be avoided (and has been avoided ever since I've had a job I can't afford to lose by engaging in a pissing contest). However, the best preparation for this type of encounter is most likely going to be sparring where two prepared opponents are squaring off and going at it.

The first scenario is different. Sparring will not prepare you for it. Training/drilling of techniques, training your body how to move effectively and preparing the proper mindset to break free of the "freeze" and shock that one gets into when one is unexpectedly attacked so that one can go berzerk when throwing the techniques that one has ingrained into one's reflexes until the conflict is over.

Avoid #2 unless you want to risk going to jail.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score

What amazes me is how calm everyone is in this video.

The kid on the counter obviously was taken unaware by the robber. He didn't effectively remove the gun threat, instead he relied on the robber's reluctance to shoot and used that time to approach and engage the attacker. This is not something I would do myself.

Therefore, I'll just throw this question out there for y'all...if you found yourself in this situation, and like the victim were UNSUCCESSFUL with your initial disarm attempt...then what would you do next? Would your response pattern differ from the victim's?

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
What amazes me is how calm everyone is in this video.

The kid on the counter obviously was taken unaware by the robber. He didn't effectively remove the gun threat, instead he relied on the robber's reluctance to shoot and used that time to approach and engage the attacker. This is not something I would do myself.

Therefore, I'll just throw this question out there for y'all...if you found yourself in this situation, and like the victim were UNSUCCESSFUL with your initial disarm attempt...then what would you do next? Would your response pattern differ from the victim's?

kinda looks staged to me! The mma guy walks around the counter th whole time with a gun pointed in his face??
Maybe in hollywood???
Come on, the guy would have capped him!

Latest Discussions