Pros/Cons of Point Fighting

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear everyones thoughts on the topic of point fighting. I think that its good to get in, move around, and work techniques. However, it should not be assumed that doing this will prepare you for a real fight.

So, I figured that we could look at some of the pros and cons.

Pros:

Timing
Develops speed
Works on improving control
Allows one to throw punches and kicks while moving and trying to hit a moving target.

Cons:

Shots must be pulled to avoid serious injury
Unable to hit certain targets due to rule restrictions
Not defending those targets because people don't have to worry about them being hit due to rules

***Just to clarify*** This post/thread is not meant to say in any way, that point sparring is a bad thing or something not worth doing. I've participated in numerous sparring sessions at the schools I've attended as well as attended many tournaments. Its one of the many areas of training that should be addressed.

Mike

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
As one of your old sparring partners here is my take...
I think it warrants its place in the dojo. See below...

MJS said:
I'd be interested to hear everyones thoughts on the topic of point fighting. I think that its good to get in, move around, and work techniques. However, it should not be assumed that doing this will prepare you for a real fight.

So, I figured that we could look at some of the pros and cons.

Pros:

Timing
Develops speed
Works on improving control
Allows one to throw punches and kicks while moving and trying to hit a moving target.
Cardio workout - I have see some great "technique" martial artists lose their wind in a matter of minutes.
Teaches how to use combinations effectively
Teaches us how to distance our opponent
In many cases, teaches the student to get over the fear of confrontation and getitng hit.

Cons:

Shots must be pulled to avoid serious injury "This can actually be a positive. It teaches the student to have control. Even in situations when harder contact is allowed, an opponent can spin at the same time you are about to throw a hard kick to the stomach. Learning to pull that strike quickly keeps opponent safe from back injury.
Unable to hit certain targets due to rule restrictions Explaining to the student why we do not strike these areas can teach them about the different targets and what damage they can do.
Not defending those targets because people don't have to worry about them being hit due to rules As many of us know (the hard way), even with rules in place, the accidental shots will need to be protected.

All it takes is one bad inceident and you can scar a student and instill fear.

***Just to clarify*** This post/thread is not meant to say in any way, that point sparring is a bad thing or something not worth doing. I've participated in numerous sparring sessions at the schools I've attended as well as attended many tournaments. Its one of the many areas of training that should be addressed.

Mike

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am doing my first tournament tomorrow and this is a good thread cause I am nervous as hell. I just got my brown belt so that makes me even more nervous.

I have heard that with point sparring it is skill but a lot of luck as well. Not always does the better fighter win in point sparring. I heard that it is better to do olympic. (I do TKD)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck in your tournament!

One other thing I forgot to mention...

Point sparring is also a great lesson in observing opponents as they spar others. I try to teach the students to watch others fight and find patterns, openigs and weaknesses.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I am doing my first tournament tomorrow and this is a good thread cause I am nervous as hell. I just got my brown belt so that makes me even more nervous.

I have heard that with point sparring it is skill but a lot of luck as well. Not always does the better fighter win in point sparring. I heard that it is better to do olympic. (I do TKD)

Point sparring will be there AceHBK and maybe you should give it a try, I'll be there from Twin Dragons, Skill for the most part with luck it is like evrything else, trying to hit first before your opponet is more of a skill level than luck you have to be able to evade as well attack at the same time, counter fighter do not do that well in point sparring the aggressor will almost always have the advantage. While with Olympic TKD you can come quite profeicent in counter fighting and win the majority of events by this method.
Terry
P.S. see you there tomorrow.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a great training tool. I've schools and individuals take it too seriously and develop too many bad habits. But for working timing and distance, it is a wonderful tool.

JeffJ

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh god point fighting has too many rules and stuff you can't use that you ahve already learnt which coudl be useful in real life, such as elbows, clawing, spinning backfists, low kicks to legs, even headbuts Minimal techniques are used in sparring, some punches, and round houses are most common but at the same time it gets you used to being hit and dealing wiht fear.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many excellent previous comments!
Skills learned in point fighting can be applied to the real deal.
For example: if I can develop the skill to consistently land jabs to the face, I can change the jab to an eye shot on the street.
If I can successfully land a good front kick to the stomach in point fighting, I can adjust a bit downward and turn it into a groin shot. :0)
Also, although a successful point fighter may not necessarily be equally successful in real combat, I can tell a good deal about a student by watching them point fight. What kind of explosion do they have? Speed? Reaction time? How do they react when they do get hit which happens even in controlled matches.
True, there is nothing like a real fight but a real fight, although sparring brings you much closer than just training in the air with no contact or without a live partner.

Good luck AceHBK!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AceHBK said:

Best of luck to you!:asian:

Please let us know how you did!

Most important thing to keep in mind is, have fun!! Use this as a learning tool!!

Mike

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am sure this may seem like a silly question...what is point fighting? I have been in TKD for about 1 year and we haven't gotten to all the tournament stuff yet.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
I am sure this may seem like a silly question...what is point fighting? I have been in TKD for about 1 year and we haven't gotten to all the tournament stuff yet.

No questions are silly. Asking is the only way you'll know!:)

Point sparring is the same as regular freestyle sparring would be, the exception being that points are awarded to hitting the body. I've seen some events where a punch will score 1 point and a kick will score 2. For example: If we were sparring using the point method, and you executed a kick to my stomach, you'd be awarded 2 points. If I threw a controlled punch to your face, coming close enough, but not actually hitting, I'd get a point for that strike.

The strikes should be executed as cleanly as possible. Simply throwing a punch 8 inches away from my face is not going to get anything.

Mike

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because rules change by style, dojo, instrcutors, i will give you a quick oveview.

Basically you are usually in a aprox. 15' x 15' eing or designated area. You face off with an opponent (preferably the same rank). Points are awarded for a strikes made to approved areas (and in some cases taken away for illegal contact). Some matches are timed and others are whomever gets to specified number of points firstd. In some cases kicks are worth more points than hand stikes.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
How often do you think point sparring should be done? If done to much do you think that it will water down the effectiveness of the students in a real life situation? Just playing devil's advocate.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
We offer one optional sparring class per week. I agree if done too often it may have a negative impact. But it is an effective training tool.

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! My understanding was that is how the winners are determined at tournaments. Is there a different method as well? I also thought you could be awarded by executing a perfect block, is that right?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I will definately let you all know how it went.

This is a great thread b/c I didnt know u could score from a controlled non contact punch to the face.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Each tournament is different and each school has its own set of rules. So it is hard to sum up all of them.

If you are looking for specific TKD rules, I know there are some great people to ask in the TKD threads. terryl965 is defintley one of them.

Take care. :)

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
Thanks for the replies! My understanding was that is how the winners are determined at tournaments. Is there a different method as well? I also thought you could be awarded by executing a perfect block, is that right?

There are different rules for different tourneys, though I've never heard of anyone awarding points for a block...? Some tournaments will allow hand techniques to the head, others won't. There are also different types of tournament sparring, such as point sparring, continuous sparring, light contact, no contact, heavy contact, etc. In a continuous sparring match the competitors do not stop in between points scored...the judges count points and tally them up, the winner being the one who scored the most points after all rounds are complete. Someone said earlier that point sparring is great for building stamina (?)...continuous sparring is much more effective in building up stamina/endurance, IMO.

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jgrimm01 said:
There are different rules for different tourneys, though I've never heard of anyone awarding points for a block...? Some tournaments will allow hand techniques to the head, others won't. There are also different types of tournament sparring, such as point sparring, continuous sparring, light contact, no contact, heavy contact, etc. In a continuous sparring match the competitors do not stop in between points scored...the judges count points and tally them up, the winner being the one who scored the most points after all rounds are complete. Someone said earlier that point sparring is great for building stamina (?)...continuous sparring is much more effective in building up stamina/endurance, IMO.

Thanks for the great info! I am volunteering at a tournament that our club is hosting. I look forward to learning a lot there as well. At least I now know what Point a fighting is

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I feel that point sparring is very limited in its usefulness. I teaches bad habits, like stopping action when a hit is scored. Its akin to playing tag, or the slap boxing I remember doing as a kid. Now, I feel sparring is absolutely necessary, but done without points and the rules associated with them. Now, there still needs to be some prudence when sparring, or you and all of your training partners are going to be hurt more often than not.

I hold this opinion for anyone interested in the martial aspect of fighting arts. If one is solely interested in the sport aspect, then point fight to your heart's content.