Ratio of Belts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to the KKW website, it's 1 year wait between 1st & 2nd, 2 year wait between 2nd & 3rd, 3 years between 3rd & 4th Dan, etc.

I know I follow KKW but we only test when the person is ready and for me that takes more than one year. I believe in being complete and remember those are minimal guidelines.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I follow KKW but we only test when the person is ready and for me that takes more than one year. I believe in being complete and remember those are minimal guidelines.

My mistake Terry. I thought you were looking for the KKW guidelines. GM Sell uses the "3 years for 3rd, 4 for 4th, etc." timeframe as well. In most cases, it makes sense. It frustrates me a bit, given my situation, tho.:boing1:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mistake Terry. I thought you were looking for the KKW guidelines. GM Sell uses the "3 years for 3rd, 4 for 4th, etc." timeframe as well. In most cases, it makes sense. It frustrates me a bit, given my situation, tho.:boing1:
I completely understand, How come he does not skip dan you?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I completely understand, How come he does not skip dan you?

I don't know, I've never asked. Perhaps if I were closer to his part of the world & saw him more than once a year, he might. My guess is that it makes it harder when we're not in the kind of close contact that I would be if I saw him more. I don't really worry about it, tho. All the young masters still call me "sir" when they find out how long I've been training.:mst:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know, I've never asked. Perhaps if I were closer to his part of the world & saw him more than once a year, he might. My guess is that it makes it harder when we're not in the kind of close contact that I would be if I saw him more. I don't really worry about it, tho. All the young masters still call me "sir" when they find out how long I've been training.:mst:

Now those are true Master then.
icon10.gif

ihraxhunnie

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually at my school the only timeframe is what the KKW states but do not hold me to it because each individual needs there own time to get to the poinf of testing, muts of my students wait at least three year between first and second. and probaly 4-6 yeata between 2 and 3, for myself I waited about 19 years between 3 and 4 th by choice.

yeah i waited 6 years between 1st and 2nd.. i'm most likely not going to go for my 3rd in the three year min... i could probably be ready if i really worked at it but i'm really starting to get back into my american freestyle karate so i'm spending more time at the dojo and less at the dojang

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was TOLD that I'm going to test for 2nd Dan in Nov.. The Ukes are already lining up to take a shot at the old fat grey haired cop, it ain't gonna be pretty...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm testing in August... Not looking forward to the PT portion, 'cause some lazy fat guy moved into my living room when I wasn't looking, and took my seat!

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I was advanced in Kempo, but now back down to Beginner in Northern Longfist. Looking forward to becoming black belt in this style though in a few years. Great poll by the way !!!

Latest Discussions