My thoughts about new taekwondo uniforms & belt system

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The World Taekwondo federation (?) has come out with an idea about new taekwondo uniforms and perhaps a new colour belt system. I don’t know how far everything has come and nothing is yet final. I believe uniforms will change but I hope they don’t follow up on their idea for new colours on the belts.

The real reason for all of this is still a mystery to me. Perhaps there is some kind of power struggle between Kukkiwon and WTF?

How do I feel about new uniforms? If we are talking about poomsae competition then new and different uniforms are a good idea. Unfortunately those new models are in my point of view a step backwards. Kuk sool won and Hwarango are already using similar uniforms, so why don´t we go in a totally different direction? Why try to make up stories about traditions and “old ways”?

New black belt uniform

Perhaps it’s a better idea to focus more on that we are a modern martial art? Make a totally new attractive uniform with a great design and for christ sake get some feedback from professional designers!

..and then the proposal for a new belt system

The colours are:

9. geup white
8.geup ivory
7.geup yellow
6.geup light gold
5. geup green
4. geup blue
3.geup orange
2.geup purple
1.geup red

I have just one simple question. Why change it? It’s working and most schools won’t change their belt systems anyway. Now if you look at the colours, the orange belt is the third highest belt in the new system. According to my experience, in most schools that are using the orange belt, it comes after the yellow belt. Also in most Karate systems and Judo, the orange belt comes after the yellow belt. To me this whole thing with new belts is just a stupid idea.

The cynic in me says that someone has made good deals with the manufacturers ..?

Yours,

Markku P

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am still thinking that doboks can be better and this is my proposal:
For all the gup/kup studentes white dobok (no color collar).
For the black belts open white gi jacket with the black lapel and black pants.

About the belts, we have so many colored belts I think promotion gup/kup test can be done once a year for exchange of the color of the belt, and I will only use four belts:

1.White (beginer).
2.-Yellow.
3.-Green.
4.-blue.
5.-Red.
6.-Black.

Manny

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That would make great sense... come up with a uniform that the young people would want to have on. I dont see them looking at this "new" one and falling all over themselves to get one. I think they should do the same with patterns. Throw out the "traditional" patterns and come up with competition patterns that enhance and showcase TKDs kicking and dynamics. Maybe do like Ice skating does at the international level and have compulsory patterns in traditional and then more open style patterns to showcase higher levels of ability. This robot style they went to just dosnt do it for me.

The World Taekwondo federation (?) has come out with an idea about new taekwondo uniforms and perhaps a new colour belt system. I don’t know how far everything has come and nothing is yet final. I believe uniforms will change but I hope they don’t follow up on their idea for new colours on the belts.

The real reason for all of this is still a mystery to me. Perhaps there is some kind of power struggle between Kukkiwon and WTF?

How do I feel about new uniforms? If we are talking about poomsae competition then new and different uniforms are a good idea. Unfortunately those new models are in my point of view a step backwards. Kuk sool won and Hwarango are already using similar uniforms, so why don´t we go in a totally different direction? Why try to make up stories about traditions and “old ways”?

New black belt uniform

Perhaps it’s a better idea to focus more on that we are a modern martial art? Make a totally new attractive uniform with a great design and for christ sake get some feedback from professional designers!

The colours are:

9. geup white
8.geup ivory
7.geup yellow
6.geup light gold
5. geup green
4. geup blue
3.geup orange
2.geup purple
1.geup red

I have just one simple question. Why change it? It’s working and most schools won’t change their belt systems anyway. Now if you look at the colours, the orange belt is the third highest belt in the new system. According to my experience, in most schools that are using the orange belt, it comes after the yellow belt. Also in most Karate systems and Judo, the orange belt comes after the yellow belt. To me this whole thing with new belts is just a stupid idea.

The cynic in me says that someone has made good deals with the manufacturers ..?

Yours,

Markku P

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
its all about money. Think of all the inventory that becomes obsolete and people need to buy new stuff to keep up? Oh and guess who makes all that new stuff? not the USA even all the US brands for most MA stuff is not made here even if it is marketed by a US company supply house it is still Korean or foreign made.

Until KKW steps in and officially determines a control over Gup testing and relates that to uniforms and belts I don't see a big change in the Dojangs however if the WTF develops new requirements related to competition rules and that creates an opportunity for the USAT to collect revenue by supporting the change for its sanctioned events you can bet they will jump at that.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Until KKW steps in and officially determines a control over Gup testing and relates that to uniforms and belts
I don't think they never do that. I would be a suicide for the Kukkiwon. It would be very hard to control and most national federations wouldn't follow it,
since they don't even follow the current rules.

/Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
About the belts, we have so many colored belts I think promotion gup/kup test can be done once a year for exchange of the color of the belt, and I will only use four belts:

1.White (beginer).
2.-Yellow.
3.-Green.
4.-blue.
5.-Red.
6.-Black.

Manny

I would have more belts, anywhere 9-12 belts..The belt test every 3 or 4 months and this way it would be easier to motivate students ( kids )

/Markku P.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I quite agree on your point but WTF could make changes related to competition for sanctioned events and people would have no choice not sure why they would do that? but I am sure money comes in somwhere? oh we will get the old preverbial in order to standardize and increase quality but somebody who has already developed the new uniforms and anthing else is I am sure lobying or friends with somebody?

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and crap like this is why I aint a part of the wtf or the kkw

I think every big organization has their own problems. I don't have any problems with Kukkiwon or WTF ( I can of course be critical ). I still train and teach my own way, my students gets Kukkiwon certificates and they can attend national championships, if they are good enough then World championships etc.

/Markku P

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While for over 40 years we have used a standard WTF testing and grading proceedure our belt system is as follows

White Belt
10th Gup

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
White Belt
10th Gup Yellow Belt
9th Gup Green Belt Low
8th Gup Green Belt High with continuous black strpe in the middle
7th Gup Blue Belt Low
6th Gup Blue Belt High with continuous black strpe in the middle
5th Gup Red Belt Low
4th Gup Red Belt High with continuous black strpe in the middle
3rd Gup Brown 3rd
2nd Gup Brown 2nd
1st Gup or Deputy Black Belt Brown Belt with continuous black strpe in the middle

Testing can be from 2 months to six months between Gup levels depending on ability of student and the recomendation of the instructor.

In between this we use the tip testing or striping for progressive completion of requirments to motivate students to progress between 4-6 stripes

We have used this for over 40 years in our association while in tournament brown belt has been thrown in with red belt or black belt depending on the specific rules of the tournament.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

New black belt uniform

The colours are:

9. geup white
8.geup ivory
7.geup yellow
6.geup light gold
5. geup green
4. geup blue
3.geup orange
2.geup purple
1.geup red

Yours,

Markku P

Isn't this the same as this recent thread? http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?96756-Evolution-in-taekwondo

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally don't get the color additions because the original color belts have philosophical meanings behind the colors and their orders..... How is the change really justified other than for political/regulational reasons?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally don't get the color additions because the original color belts have philosophical meanings behind the colors and their orders..... How is the change really justified other than for political/regulational reasons?

From what I understand though there is no global "original color belts" in Kukki-Taekwondo. There isn't a list in the Kukkiwon Textbook. As has been posted recently on this forum, everyone seems to have their own set. What do you consider the "original color belts"?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have more belts, anywhere 9-12 belts..The belt test every 3 or 4 months and this way it would be easier to motivate students ( kids )

/Markku P.
Motivation aside, consider the number of Techniques, and Patterns. Youd be teaching them just about double the amount of stuff per rank, which may perhaps have a negative effect on the overall outcome of their Training.
For example, due to having to teach multiple Patterns to each Rank, youd have to not only split up the Ranks, but also the people within those Ranks, so as to teach the Patterns in order.

On Topic; I think its silly to change the whole Belt System. But at the same time, beyond principle, and sensibility, it doesnt REALLY matter what color your belt is. Until your a Black Belt, it just displays your progress. A white belt with Black Notches added after each Grading would be just as effective.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand though there is no global "original color belts" in Kukki-Taekwondo. There isn't a list in the Kukkiwon Textbook. As has been posted recently on this forum, everyone seems to have their own set. What do you consider the "original color belts"?

Good point. I never really saw an official rendering of what color belts should be. However, there seems to be a general consensus and a lot of similarities. Also, from the original post that WTF 'decided to change' the color belt schemes, I could conclude that WTF must have had a color scheme before they thought about the supposed changes?

Latest Discussions