Question?

OP
G

GouRonin

As a friend of mine once said, "It's your soap, your dick, you wash it."

I understand what you are saying, it's just seems really stupid and a waste of time to me. I will always see that as activity, not action.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

lmao interesting quote there gou lol and glad that i kinda made sense in that too lol

OP
T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

in response to gou its not the 12 hours that suddenly made me a black belt the 5 years leading up to that point did that... the 12 hours was more of a lets see what your really made of... it was a test of wills it was a are you going to break under pressure... it was a lets see what you have really learned in your training... it was not just an activity.... it was a chance to drive me beyond where i had been and beyond the hows and whys of technique it was to push me to the limit in that 12 hours... and it really never ended... i dont know what more to tell you... here is something that you might be able to compare it to as far as the idea behind it... think of it as a sort of crucible for martial arts... or a hell week for martial artists... all rolled into one 12 hour period... and before you draw your own conclusions... no i am not saying it was just as hard as those two events... i am saying it served the same principal... more or less initiation, a welcoming, a pressure test, a last chance to weed out the week, to see who is for real and who is there for a work out and and a piece of paper. hope that answers some of your questions

i want to know how you actually had time to do this 12 hour marathon of sorts? i have a full time job and train as hard as i can befoer and after work most days (injury pending due to hard sparring), and i certainly wouldnt have the time to do a 12 hour grading.
we have grading sessions after a certain amount of lessons racked up, we do rigorous combination work for 1.25 - 1.5 hours then a certain amount of 3 minute sparring rounds, pending on which singlet colour we are grading for. but really everyone regardless of singlet colour grading all know the same moves, even from early on, and by no means is it an indication of talent or ability, but only on time really. but alternatively if our kru doesnt believe we have done enough to attain or shown fighting spirit, then the grade (especially black singlet - and especially during full contact sparring) will not be obtained by the individual.
i think it should be earnt the hard way, should be a special achievement for sure, one that you should be proud of and cheerish, not paid for. but that is evident when you spar or fight these "fake" black belts. so really they are traitors to themselves, and who cares, they can claim everything under the sun, as long as you know deep down you can defend yourself, what else matters, thats what were doing it for really right?

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

well i was in college at the time and it was on a sunday 7am to 7pm so it was pretty easy to find the time for that...

OP
T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

well i was in college at the time and it was on a sunday 7am to 7pm so it was pretty easy to find the time for that...

fair enough, good stuff.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Why do you do this?

Sometimes I want to know just how hard I can go. It's not about whether or not I can do the stuff, if I couldn't, I wouldn't be there on the day. It's about the distance I am prepared to go for the prize, or to win. It's about the strength of my character, am I prepared to do everything I can, give 1000%, and then when it looks like I can do no more, can I do it just 1 more time?

I am the only one that I do this for, it's about being mentally tough. I know I can fight. I know I am good at it. I know that I possess that unbeatable spirit that martial artists often talk about. I want to know just how far that will take me on a physical level. More than all this, I want to show me that I am getting better everytime I do it.

For me, the martial arts are more than kick punch stuff, they're about every day being better than the day before. About getting from every day, not just getting through every day.

Above all, I do it for the sense of achievement.

--Dave

:asian:

OP
T

thaiboxer

im pretty much the same dave. Ive actually lost quite a great deal of weight 10 kilograms since starting and maintained it, whilst eating what i basically want really.
Ive pushed myself harder and harder to get fitter and stronger and have more endurance, still am, im not by far anywhere near fit enough to enter a ringwar yet as an example. (unfortunately time is a problem, i am full time work)
But the personal satisfaction of knowing you have achieved what you have through hard work, and can mix it with the best in your class, compared to when you first started, well there is no comparison.
No substitute for hard work in technique/fitness, getting into a real fight will determine this, regardless of belt rank or years spent learning.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thaiboxer

No substitute for hard work in technique/fitness, getting into a real fight will determine this, regardless of belt rank or years spent learning.

Amen to that Brudda!! :D

Latest Discussions