Martial Arts Experience

I

Icepick

I was just wondering how many arts are represented on this board. Could everyone check in and let us know what you've studied?

I'll start:
Modern Arnis 6 yrs.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 9 mos.
Balintawak, Wing Chun, American Kenpo, Boxing, Bando, JKD less than 6 months each

Thinking about picking up some Judo, if my ribs ever heal.:karate:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Modern Arnis - 3 mo (aprox) - currently actively training.
Am also working on sword techniques activly.

Others
American Kenpo - 6 mo
Wing Chung - 2 mo
Tai Chi - 2 mo.
Ninjitsu, Iaiado, Kenjitsu, Kendo - less than 1 month (based on books only, no formal training)
Sai, Bokken, Bo, Jo - - less than 1 month (based on books only, no formal training)

OP
G

GouRonin

Been boxing now over 10 years.
American Kenpo, about 7 years.
Judo, on and off for about 2 years.
Arnis, playing with it here and there for maybe 6 months.
Systema, here and there about 6 months.
Did some Jujitsu for about 6 month here and there.
Dunno if I can think of any more at the moment.
:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okinawa-te since '91.

Dabbled with Wing Chun, but nothing serious.

Some form of kempo (which I think was bogus) for about a year.

Been researching and studying about the martial arts fairly continuously since '81. Still pi$$ed that I can't find the majority of my library after I moved.

Informal training in TKD for about a year.

Several years wishing I had a certified JKD instructor.

Cthulhu

OP
K

Kyle

Karate 3 months
Wing Chun 7 months
Hung Gar 2 years
BJJ 6 years
Abusing Icepick 9 months
Boxing 6 months
Muay Thai 2 months

- Kyle

OP
I

Icepick

Kyle -

You're TOO funny! :rofl:

What the @#$% is HUNG GAR? And remember, this is a family oriented forum, so let's keep it G rated.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hung Gar is the style of southern Chinese gung fu developed by Hung Hei Goon. Hung Gar gung fu basically means 'Hung family (clan) gung fu'. It's one of the five 'family' gung fu styles from southern China: Hung, Choy, Lay, Lau, and Mok.

I believe it is based on Shaolin tiger style, with elements and movements of White Crane, Dragon, Snake, Leopard, and Five Elements Fist.

Cthulhu

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm new. :) I just started training in the northern long fist style of shaolin kung fu. I have just over one month experience now. :) I also tried learning some basic tai chi, things like the 24 posture standardized form, via a combination of books and videos. Yes, I know that's not the best way to learn and I've probably messed up tons of details in the process. But our long fist instructor said he may teach us some Yang style tai chi later on, so I might get some actual training in that eventually. I've been doing some tai chi that way for maybe two years. I forget exactly. I've kind of stopped in favor of practicing the long fist stuff I'm being taught right now. :) So to summarize in a little chart like everyone else:

Shaolin Kung Fu, Northern Long Fist -- ~1 month
Tai Chi (no real, official training) -- ~2 years

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that would be considered a beginner.

My original instructor teached a hybrid of AK/Tracy kenpo with arnis and other forms mixed in. I'm been out of training for almost a year because of an injury, but I have started to train in American Kenpo.......... So officially it's

Kenpo/arnis/(tiny bit of) jujitsu combination - 2 years
American Kenpo - 6 months on and off

But lets not forget the 4 years of Ballet/Tap/Jazz lesson when I was a kid. That counts too doesn't it?

;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ohhh...."Combat Ballet". :D

Hey, if Tae Dough can be considered a martial art.......:rofl:

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
Been training for about 28-29 yrs. so far.
TKD from mid to late 70's
Bando/JKD '80-still practice elements thereof
Aikido '90-present
Modern Arnis late '91-present
I was 14 when I began, I'm 42 now. I didn't feel old till just now.............sh-t!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Frequent moves mean I've achieved kyu ranks in Isshin-ryu, Goju-ryu (Shobukan), Uechi-ryu, Iaido, Judo, Aikido, Ric Jornales' Arnis-Kali Sipa-Sikaran, as well as an American form of self-defense and an Americanized system of kung fu. In addition I've had the chance to do a little Shorin-ryu and a little jujitsu. I've also been studying Tai Chi for about a year now. I started studying the martial arts around 1977 and started Modern Arnis in 1986 or 1987, which I continue to practice.

OP
D

Despairbear

Greetings all,

Aikido about 5 years
Stick and sword work about 10 years off and on.
WMA about 1 year.
A bunch of other stuff over the years, ground fighting, boxing, ju-jitsu, striking arts, knife fighting, archery, marskmanship, fencing, and anything else I can get my hands on.

Despair Bear

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I began I Judo in 1952 and stopped formal training and teaching in 1980 -- (yodan). BTW, I turned down godan because it was pure political bovine excerment!

Shotokan karate for about 4 years in the mid-1950’s -(no rank).

Matsubayshi karate 1960-1962 under Nagamine Shoshin -(shodan)

Goju ryu 1962 for three months with Miyazato Eiichi -(nikyu)

Kenpo with kajukenbo Sifu Tony Lasit -(shodan)

Occasionally I do some basic kata in whatever karate I remember after all those years (good exercise) and have been known to visit Judo dojos for a very mild workout.
:asian: :)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have studied:
American Kenpo
Tracy's Kenpo
Kara Ho Kenpo
ITF Tae Kwon Do
Matsubayashi Ryu - Shorin Ryu
Shotkan

It has been a great 20 yrs

OP
G

Graham674

Shotokan - off and on for 2 years
Kuntao - 3 years
Wing Chun - 6 months
Hung Gar - 3 months
Wu style Tai Chi - 3 months
Judo - 6 years.

Plus some time in fencing and SCA heavy weapons :rolleyes: . I wish I'd started in Judo and never gone down all those dead ends.

JG

OP
G

girlychuks

Shaolin Kempo, 4 months

I'm just a dabbling snot-nose but I LOVE it and I have devoured every book, site, and video I can get my mitts on. Not to mention exhausted my instructors with why? why? why? How? show me again....
I feel like this is the beginning of a beeyootiful friendship..:angel:

OP
P

paulk

I have studied

Kenpo Karate with Master Bob Rose (3 years)
Kempo Jujitsu With Sensei Terry Coughtrey (14 years)
Goshin Jutsu With Sensei Malcolm Keith (3 years)

And have tried various other styles over the years.

Currently teaching an interpretation of Kempo Jujitsu

Have a look at our site

OP
I

Icepick

Girlychuks -

I'm excited for you! Martial arts has never gotten old for me. Everytime I start to think I know something, I see a technique that opens my eyes and makes me say WOW!

Have fun!

160+ views, and only 17 posts? Come on people, let's find out what resources we have here!

OP
B

bscastro

This is a very interesting thread. It's great to see such variety in the forum. As for myself, I'm glad to say that I practice aspects of every style I've studied (some more than others). Moving around for school and work has allowed me the fortune of training under and with some cool guys. As for time spent under an instructor in different systems:
1. Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwon style - 6 years (since 1995)
2. Pangasinan style Kali - 3 years (started in 1995)
3. Pikiti-Tirsia Kali - 2 years (started in 1996)
4. Modern Arnis - just started a month ago

I've dabbled in Muay Thai, JKD, Tai Chi, Wing Chun, other Filipino martial arts, and some grappling. Dabbling meaning that I've gone to seminars, trained with people informally, etc.

Hope to keep learning more and more as there's much more to learn!

Bryan

Latest Discussions