Question on spinning side kick and spinning hook kicks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I've been told is to never throw a spinning kick on it's own as it's easy to see coming and puts you off balance. The best way is to use it after another kick preferably a roundhouse kick when you throw the roundhouse kick if you miss you're momentum will already be beginning to spin so follow on after the roundhouse with the spinning kick
I prefer the front kick, but one more opportune time, for a spinning kick is right at the beginning of the match, before either of you close the distance.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Open up the match witht he spin.... better be blazing fast, but if so, power to ya... I had to use mine in combinations or as counters when I "convinced" the opponent to move back. That was my favorite time, actually. Take that with ya!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka, Superfoot's close-in kicking ability is awesome, but remember how flexible he was able to train himself to be as well. I completely agree with the training methodology you put out there, and would recommend youtubing (verb form) Bill Wallace's PKA fights so you can see what the finished product can look like.

My only issue with it is that it's a sport-based solution. I'll go with a (probably soon to be attacked, and rightly so) general globalization: It is usually not a good idea to be standing on one foot in a fight.

But, man... it feels Good to land a spin-heel to the head on someone as they are charging in... as long as the power is enough to toss them, rather than you!

I hear ya, JP, standing on one foot in a fight can get you in trouble. But a good kicker is just that.

I spent a lot of time with Bill, we were team mates for a bit overseas as well, he was an instructor and coach of mine for a time and I learned a lot from him. He's great to train with....if you can stand him.

I sat ringside for many of his PKA fights as well, but, yes, that was a sport based application of his kicking skills. And his kicking within the ring was different than in sport/point karate, which was different than how he applies his kicking, or perhaps better stated, how he looks at kicking for self defense application as opposed to competition.

But in those three specific areas he kicks a little closer in than most karate kickers like to. Seemed to work pretty good, too. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really? Open up the match witht he spin.... better be blazing fast, but if so, power to ya... I had to use mine in combinations or as counters when I "convinced" the opponent to move back. That was my favorite time, actually. Take that with ya!
They would have to do something stupid, of course. :)

Latest Discussions