Spinning after roundhouse kick

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Now I've seen this in a few mma fights. The fighter does a roundhouse kick and ends doing a full 360 spin when getting back to their stance. Anyone know why they do this. I get that it'd give you more power and momentum but on a defensive side it's very risky especially in a mma fight where you turn you can get taken down and jumped on and choked out. On one occasion I saw them throw a kick knock the guy down but by the time he'd competed fhe full spin the guy was back on his feet. Now I'm not disrespecting anyone's style if that's the way a style teaches. I have a feeling it could be a mauy Thai techique? But I could be wrong. I just want to understand it and learn and hey I love roundhouse kicks maybe I could learn something to put into my own training

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because if you throw a roundhouse and miss you are in an awkward position. And need to either move or throw something to back the guy up.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The risk is worth the reward, in this instance. Yes, this is a ring technique, and no, you don't use it on the street, unless you are fighting twelve year olds. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, if the roundhouse is powerful and/or close enough, it makes them go defensive for an instant, which gives you time to throw the spin kick without too much fear (assuming they do not generally respond to roundhouses by rushing-this is something you'd test out beforehand).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on how well you kick to start with. Circumstances come after that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I've seen this in a few mma fights. The fighter does a roundhouse kick and ends doing a full 360 spin when getting back to their stance. Anyone know why they do this. I get that it'd give you more power and momentum but on a defensive side it's very risky especially in a mma fight where you turn you can get taken down and jumped on and choked out. On one occasion I saw them throw a kick knock the guy down but by the time he'd competed fhe full spin the guy was back on his feet. Now I'm not disrespecting anyone's style if that's the way a style teaches. I have a feeling it could be a mauy Thai techique? But I could be wrong. I just want to understand it and learn and hey I love roundhouse kicks maybe I could learn something to put into my own training

If you kick and miss, it might very well be faster to complete the turn than to reverse your momentum.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is also a bad habit.

Not necessarily.
Consider. I throw a roundhouse at your head with my right foot (now, that's not a threat, it's purely a hypothetical example. :) ) and you step back, causing me to miss. I allow my momentum to turn me around a bit further, drop that foot to the floor, and (still allowing my momentum to turn me) throw a spinning back kick with my left foot, which you're in range of.
Unless you're on the receiving end of the kick, how is that bad?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not necessarily.
Consider. I throw a roundhouse at your head with my right foot (now, that's not a threat, it's purely a hypothetical example. :) ) and you step back, causing me to miss. I allow my momentum to turn me around a bit further, drop that foot to the floor, and (still allowing my momentum to turn me) throw a spinning back kick with my left foot, which you're in range of.
Unless you're on the receiving end of the kick, how is that bad?
A practice of stopping your motion, is a practice of stopping your power. The idea is that you are bouncing off your opponent, rather than putting the brakes on yourself. Just something to consider. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A practice of stopping your motion, is a practice of stopping your power. The idea is that you are bouncing off your opponent, rather than putting the brakes on yourself. Just something to consider. :)
By the way, that is what is supposed to happen when you actually connect with a Muay Thai round house...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Gotcha. Misunderstood you.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I get that it'd give you more power and momentum but on a defensive side it's very risky especially in a mma fight where you turn you can get taken down and jumped on and choked out.
Agree. But the risk is relative. You may have a plan for that. Or even be willing to go to grappling (more than the other guy)...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, that is what is supposed to happen when you actually connect with a Muay Thai round house...

wT6gWnABf0ylFj6hTVst1CmX8V6KBmrKTBibnWqAgPqtwYTd_mt63Rr2NBtnqnbe-ppGA4qOkzC4FwbiREPH9kOoW4WOtxYUMK2Uaci879atewiG92XFlilf6-6tp_mvK_u5FJS9Wj6ytLQ=w320-h180-nc

The issue you have is if your round kicks are not hard. The other guy will be encouraged to catch them and take you down. Also creating risk.

(I will see if I can find it)

But generally they catch the kick and punch you pretty much unopposed in the face. Which sucks by the way.

Found him.

Nnbvk8GCVTmbkLwZ4Rbkb_hhrPow57mFKMukacfApInfEuSnuLQFs8zj5UG9eCjtG-cHyEoYAqI0pkvnzsVC6nEVO9ZGwzvu468DAZVcob7QxoI9hM_X_wCIP_hBjtpNfEJ7JAEtkiAlf9-7_nwrvaNzQKIAoSLl2UtOPJenJMxdfOAfFQ=w300-h200-nc

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude. That's what you are supposed to do.
Assuming you are talking to the OP, it depends entirely on the style (both fighting style and MA). Some MA's preach that you should turn to launch another attack (in certain circumstances), while others suggest you should never turn your back to the opponent, and if you miss to plant it in front and shift your stance, launch another kick, fall back, etc.
Even if you are in an MA that supports spinning after, if you have a slow spin/are not confident the other person won't bum-rush you, you wouldn't respond to a missed roundhouse by spinning.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Surely it's possible to kick through a target with correct form and not compromise position post-kick. No? I guess it depends on what you understand to be correct form.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. Misunderstood you.

I guess I misunderstood as well. I thought what you described was one continuous motion. I thought it was obvious that you would be keeping your eyes on your opponent to ensure they did not immediately attack either your roundhouse or your back kick. If they do not or can't react to the second kick (assuming the round house didn't tag them) it should catch them off-guard and connect.

Latest Discussions