Jumping and Spinning Kicks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts on jumping and spinning kicks? I'm looking to discuss their applications both in sport fighting as well as real world application.

Have you used them in sport fighting events?

Have you used them in real life application?

Do you feel that they have a purpose?

For myself, I have used them with success in sport events/sparring. I've timed a spinning back kick just right and caught my opponent in the chest. Of course, there've been those times, when I didn't set them up right and my opponent was able to read me and countered the kick.

Have I used them in real life? No, and for myself, I probably wouldn't. Now, this isn't to discredit them, because IMHO, I think that every art has something to offer, but for me, I'd rather not take a chance spinning or jumping if my life depends on it. ;)

But again, I'm sure there're some who have had different results.

So, lets hear from some others! :)

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

All the time I teach them to alot of my student and also teach when they can and cannot be use. We as a whole do a pretty great job when someone comes running in with chest wid open which happens alot.

No I am one that believe being grounded is better than flying in the air and I do not teach them for SD.

For competition yes for Sd most likely no, I have seen a couple people use them in a real fight with some success but not me myself.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have I ever used them in self defense? No, but I haven't been in any fights either.
Do I think they can be used in self defense? With enough practice and proper timing, absolutely. I genuinely think that properly used spinning and jumping kicks, done by someone who is proficient in them, would be devastating in self defense.

Have I used them in sport applications? Absolutely. I almost taken people's heads off with them and more than proven their worth.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts on jumping and spinning kicks? I'm looking to discuss their applications both in sport fighting as well as real world application.

Mike

All the time. The spinning back kick is EXTREMELY useful as a counter in tournament fighting.

Nope. Of course I've been in one fight since I've became an adult so the lack of opportunity is a very real reason why not. I'd probably stick to low line kicks in a real fight unless the opportunity was just right. I do train high kicks a lot, so my technique is certainly there.

Sure. Spinning and jumping kicks are just another facet of exploring your body and what it can do. How can you be centered and grounded, key concepts in self-defense, unless you are comfortable with yourself and you are fully aware of what being centered and grounded feels like?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Spinning back kick is a wonderful technique, and I've used it many times in sparring; people don't expect you to spin in a direction that forces you to take your eyes off the target (your opponent), and tend to walk right into them, assuming you can't see them... the trick is to acquire your target before you spin.

Nope... but then, I've managed to avoid using any TKD in real life applications; I avoid situations that might need them, and the few times that hasn't been possible, I've been able to talk my way out.

Yes. Spinning and jumping kicks teach balance and athleticism. Are they, in general, useful for self-defense? Probably not - especially not the way they are seen in movies and TV. However, as with discussions of stretching, there are some things you practice for overall benefits, such as general physical conditioning, that may never be useful in direct self-defense, but can help anyway.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spinning back kicks are probably the most conservative of all of those techniques. You can quickly execute one, and can catch opponents off guard with a nice surprise. You don't have too much momentum thrown you off balance, and it's easier to recover from throwing this type of kick.

Spinning hook kicks, spinning crescent kicks, etc., though, take too much time to wind up, and run too much of a risk. While there are some exceptions out there, such as Bruce Lee and his kicks, most human beings aren't going to be nearly that fast.

Nevertheless, they should be taught and practiced, since they do help sharpen your balance, coordination, and timing.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I once overheard someone say that his jaw was broken once. It got broken by a spinning wheel / spinning hook kick (one of them -- the guy who received the kick was not aware of these kicks).

The guy doing the kicking was wearing some kind of cowboy boots.

There's a time and a place for these kicks. If they ARE landed correctly (in self-defense), they can bust the head. But, it has to work. There ARE people who can do them in SD -- I've met some who HAVE done them, haha! But not just anyone can make this work.

Also, if you are on a hillside covered in ice and you get into a fight during an earthquake, don't choose the jump spinning hook kick. The landing will suck.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that the 'spring' needed to get into the air to do a jump kick makes it more of conditioning method, like with a spinning kick. Therefore, I do not think of jump/flying/spinning/jump-spinning kicks in terms of 'can/would use', more in terms of 'getting a work out'.

If nothing else, I've a got video of a Tae Kwon Do fight were one guy knocks the other one out with a single wheel kick.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For Self Defence:

I would personally stay away from anything that took me off the ground however that said, if you could land just one of these ticks i think any fight would be finished very quickly. Even if it didn't knock them out i recon they would probably think twice before attacking again.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are fun for competition & sparring. They're also great for working balance. SD?...... not on a bet.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's theoretically possible to make almost anything work but it is dependent on you, your opponent, and the environment. Personally for self defense I'd stick with techniques that have the highest probability of success. In sparring, which is more like chess with karate moves, the pace is slower and the intensity is not life or death - there is liberty to experiment. Similarly in sparring, you have time to get to "know" your opponent. In SD you want to end the altercation ASAP.

My preferences:
Jumping Front Kick (useful for extra height, more like a hop)
Spinning Back Kick
Spinning Hook Kick
Roundhouse - Spinning hook kick combo

I don't recommend "flying" techniques or jumping and spinning at the same time.

_Don Flatt

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All good responses here, there's just one thing I would like to add:

Some spinning kicks are useful in SD if for some reason you get turned around, or your opponent circles you.

One example: you opponent charges you from too far back, and you jump out of his way (Bullfighter style -- El Toro!) Since it's easier to jump forward to get out of the way, he may pass behind you. Then a spinning kick (well grounded) is very effective. Of course, by then, you're not really spinning, since he's already gone around you, instead of you turning yourself, but it feels like you're spinning.

Or if you get knocked off balance, and end up turned away from your opponent, you can take a step or two away to get your balance back, (1/2 turn) and then finish the turn and kick if/when they press you. Again, it doesn't really end up as a true "spinning kick" but the principles practiced come into play.

Never jump, though in SD -- apart form worrying about the landing, you're committed to a certain direction of movement while in the air. Remember that part in the Matrix when Neo does that really cool flip-thingy while training with Morpheus? M. just waited until he landed, and kicked where he knew Neo would have to end up. A little over-dramatic, but the principle is the same.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty much everything I could say has already been said.

For sport? spinning and jumping kicks are great, and can be a powerfull weapon

For Self Defense? K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)

For training? They should be taught if those techniques are part of the style. The benefits, speed, balance, muscle conditioning, etc, are well worth it.

ogregod65

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree mainly with what everyone is saying about tournament fighting and jumping kicks. But i think that jumping/flying techniques can be useful in a SD situation. Let me claify:

A high flying attack such as a flying sidekick, jumping crescent/hook or any other type of acrobatic kick wouldn't be my first choice in real life situation.

But a low flying attack such as a skipping side kick, a low jumping double front kick, or a flying knee maybe a good choice. These attacks minimize air time for you and also allow to gain distance on an opp. The could also allow you to create an escape route depending on your environment. They are very straight forward attacks so it also minimizes giving your back to your opp unlike some of the spinning attacks.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone grabs you, particularly by the arm, I imagine a spinning or jumping kick could work.

Also, if you are running toward something, and some fool stands in the way to block you, a flying kick conceivably could work.

Never discount anything simply because your art doesn't emphasize it.

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hopping kicks with the front leg are good for gaining ground but I really don't like no feet on the ground for any prolonged period of time

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
not used them except in sparring a few times. on the street I doubt I would use any of them except perhaps under very special circumstances a jumping front snap kick. other wise on the street NO WAY!

Latest Discussions