Q an A

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jbkenpo said:
Could we ever envision a "Gathering of the Eagles" type thing for EPAK specifically? All the members of the Journey, all those that should have been in there (Kelly, Palanzo, Doc, etc...), and others that are making an impact at this time (Whitson, etc..)? Or are there too many "organizational gatherings" and "seminar formats" already to prevent this reality from happening? Could such an event lead to improvements in the system as a whole? Or should there be another design format to encourage should dialogue?

jb
Actually JB we came very close to that in the "Homecoming" event hosted by Ed Parker last year at the original (kinda) school in Pasadena California. Most gave seminars over two days, and we had a dinner at Won Kok, (one of Mr. Parker's favorite late night eat/meet spots).

Off the top of my head there was myself, Ed Parker, Dave Hebler, Chuck Sullivan, Lincoln Conti, Steve LaBounty, Tom Kelly, Richard Planas, Albert Conejo, Bob Liles, John Sepulveda, Frank Trejo, Dennis Connatser, Diane Tanaka, Doreen Cogliandro, Zach Whitson, and others including Mrs. Ed Parker (Sr.), Sherry Parker, Yvonne Parker, etc.

At one point we all gathered to share stories and anecdotes of Ed Parker Sr. while those that didn't know him asked questions. Perhaps with a bit of proding and promises of participation - it could be done again.

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

I just do not understand why all of the seniors are not leading by example and coming together to brain storm/shar ideas to help with the progression of Parker Kenpo. Isn't this what Mr Parker wanted?

I like the idea that we at least have this forum to ask questions but why don't you guys lead the way and cut through all the b.s.?

I hope you do not take offense to this but someone needs to ask?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
I just do not understand why all of the seniors are not leading by example and coming together to brain storm/share ideas to help with the progression of Parker Kenpo.
Actually, there have been several attempts to "gather together", and many ARE leading by example through their own individual efforts.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to get a great number of these individuals to agree on specifics. Many are what I term... "era-lized", which means that they learned material from Mr. Parker during the "era" that they were with him and many went in different directions over time but didn't keep current on his constant and "evolving material", so they are well entrenched in their personal comfort zones with the way that they learned the material during their "era" and do not want to adjust anything or move out of it, (of course this is only one observation and opinion {mine} there are most probably a few other reasons also), but none the less each person is {at least in their minds PROGRESSING} the system as they see it.

I do share your thoughts on the possibilities of a more "Unified Kenpo Front" and would welcome any possibilities.:)

Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Isn't this what Mr. Parker wanted?
As to the desires of Mr. Parker on the "progression of Parker Kenpo" as you stated, from my observations, as varied as the system seems.... the Art is doing well and will continue to do so. There are many fine Seniors currently teaching (whatever they are teaching) and there is a fine crop of younger generation instructors out there that are coming up doing a great job as well, so I don't really see any problems here. There are many new and bright stars on the horizon.

I think Mr. Parker has a taught a great many how to think, use LOGIC to determine true answers and many of us will NEVER let his SYSTEM PERISH!

Atlanta-Kenpo said:
I like the idea that we at least have this forum to ask questions but why don't you guys lead the way and cut through all the b.s.?
Yes, we have this and other forums (I think this one is the best IMHO) in which several talented Seniors, instructors, black belts and under belts ask and answer questions for all that venture in (and there are a variety of differing opinions also... LOL).
You however will have to cut through whatever :bs: there may be.:ultracool

Atlanta-Kenpo said:
I hope you do not take offense to this but someone needs to ask?
NO offense taken from me..., thanks for asking. {I hope you feel better now}:uhyeah:

:asian:

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

I believe that I am fortunate to be under one of the seniors that has the same perspective as you (Lee Wedlake Jr). Mr Wedlake has been a constant sorce of motivation and has reminded me to think and think often. Study, analyze and explore all possibilities. I know that I am just a 1st BB and my learning has just begun. Man is that scary.

Do you have anyone in the Atlanta area? I would be interested in understanding sl4.

Thanks and please advise

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Doc,

I believe that I am fortunate to be under one of the seniors that has the same perspective as you (Lee Wedlake Jr). Mr Wedlake has been a constant sorce of motivation and has reminded me to think and think often. Study, analyze and explore all possibilities. I know that I am just a 1st BB and my learning has just begun. Man is that scary.

Do you have anyone in the Atlanta area? I would be interested in understanding sl4.

Thanks and please advise

Well that's the problem with not being commercial. I will not allow anyone to teach SL-4 who is not credentialed to do so, and there is no such thing as competent "distance learning." My credentialed teachers won't leave because they're afraid they may miss something. Therefore proliferation is a slow process. If you're under Lee Wedlake, you're with a good man. If you ever get to Southern Cal, give me a shout and I'll spend some time with you to give you an idea of its depth and have a bite.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 Orig. Posted:

Actually, there have been several attempts to "gather together", and many ARE leading by example through their own individual efforts.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to get a great number of these individuals to agree on specifics. Many are what I term... "era-lized", which means that they learned material from Mr. Parker during the "era" that they were with him and many went in different directions over time but didn't keep current on his constant and "evolving material", so they are well entrenched in their personal comfort zones with the way that they learned the material during their "era" and do not want to adjust anything or move out of it, (of course this is only one observation and opinion {mine} there are most probably a few other reasons also), but none the less each person is {at least in their minds PROGRESSING} the system as they see it.

I do share your thoughts on the possibilities of a more "Unified Kenpo Front" and would welcome any possibilities.:)
Thanks for the insight. I concur and we can always hope for the best, but I do not think it is in every individual's best interest to unify. It may or may not be the best thing for Kenpo, but many of the Senior's livlihood is tied up in their own Association or student base also. This is just the fiscal reality. Not a bad thing, just a thing. In the meantime we can learn from all ... or not, as we choose.

Respectfully,
-Michael

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Thanks for the insight. In the meantime we can learn from all ... or ... not..., as we choose. Respectfully, -Michael
You're welcome!

Personally speaking ...... It (unification) has never been a "barrier" to ME or my students, as to what Association or Organization any Kenpo Instructor {that I choose to associate or train with} heads or belongs to.

I find all these individuals very open, friendly, respectful and willing to share or train their personal Kenpo Talents when asked. Steve LaBounty, Tom Kelly, Huk Planas, Bob White, John Sepulveda, Frank Trejo, Ron Chape'l, Paul Mills, Skip Hancock, Bob Liles or Dian Tanaka, just to highlight a few of the Kream of Kenpo are all excellent instructors at what they do, and well worth time on the floor with.

As to others that are not so gracious or have agendas.... well, ... I just don't spend a lot of time with.

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi GD

I was looking through the freestyle techniques and got stumped on this one. Can you crack this code for me?

BPTDH Using the codes I know:

B is the base move
P is a punch
T,D or TD is unknown?? :idunno:
H is a palm heel

Also could you check my understanding of the following codes:
dK is a drag kick (this is lead leg front kick with the rear leg dragging up to the front leg, before the kick, to close distance) For example B1aPdK

s is a snap kick (this is a front kick with a snapping method of execution) For example B3asKrKsrK

rs is a reverse snap kick (this a back kick with a snapping method of execution) For example B6arsK6hK

Thank you for you time.

Cheers Dom :asian:
Sendai Kenpo

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dominic Jones said:
Hi GD, I was looking through the freestyle techniques and got stumped on this one. Can you crack this code for me?

BPTDH Using the codes I know:

B is the base move
P is a punch
T,D or TD is unknown?? :idunno:
H is a palm heel
Sendai Kenpo
Hee hee....... you had to dig around pretty deep to find those old codes.

TD = Take Down The rest you have correct.

Dominic Jones said:
Also could you check my understanding of the following codes:
dK is a drag kick (this is lead leg front kick with the rear leg dragging up to the front leg, before the kick, to close distance) For example B1aPdK
Sendai Kenpo
Yes, dK = drag kick....... drag the rear leg up and kick with the front

Dominic Jones said:
s is a snap kick (this is a front kick with a snapping method of execution) For example: B3asKrKsrK
Sendai Kenpo

Actually, this series {B3asKrKsrK} is # 27 of the Blue Belt [RL] ....
sK = snap Kick
rK = roundhouse Kick
srK = spinning rear Kick
B3asKrKsrK indicates the execution of the first variation of the base move, while simultaneously executing a left front crossover. Follow up with a right front snap ball kick to the inside of your opponent's right knee. As your opponent's right knee buckles, plant your right gauging leg while delivering a left roundhouse kick to his groin. Plant your left gauging leg as you continue the flow of your action into a right spinning back heel kick to his body.

Dominic Jones said:
rs is a reverse snap kick (this a back kick with a snapping method of execution) For example B6arsK6hK
Sendai Kenpo
NO .... you are off a bit here......
rs = reverse snap kick .... (many call this an inverted front kick - front kick turned heel/instep upward) this is used when you are in the RL alignment.

B6arsK6hK indicates the execution of the first variation of the base move, while simultaneously executing a left rear crossover. Immediately deliver a right reverse snap kick to your opponent's stomach. As your opponent backs up, plant forward and immediately flow into a left rear crossover, simultaneous with a right thrusting back heel kick to his body.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Hee hee....... you had to dig around pretty deep to find those old codes.

TD = Take Down The rest you have correct.

Yes, dK = drag kick....... drag the rear leg up and kick with the front

Actually, this series {B3asKrKsrK} is # 27 of the Blue Belt [RL] ....
sK = snap Kick
rK = roundhouse Kick
srK = spinning rear Kick
B3asKrKsrK indicates the execution of the first variation of the base move, while simultaneously executing a left front crossover. Follow up with a right front snap ball kick to the inside of your opponent's right knee. As your opponent's right knee buckles, plant your right gauging leg while delivering a left roundhouse kick to his groin. Plant your left gauging leg as you continue the flow of your action into a right spinning back heel kick to his body.

NO .... you are off a bit here......
rs = reverse snap kick .... (many call this an inverted front kick - front kick turned heel/instep upward) this is used when you are in the RL alignment.

B6arsK6hK indicates the execution of the first variation of the base move, while simultaneously executing a left rear crossover. Immediately deliver a right reverse snap kick to your opponent's stomach. As your opponent backs up, plant forward and immediately flow into a left rear crossover, simultaneous with a right thrusting back heel kick to his body.

:ultracool

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the swift and knowledgable response GD.

It was the first time for me to see the code with an attached description.

Originally Posted by Goldendragon7

Very cool. Do you have all of the freestyle techniques written out?

Cheers Dom
Sendai Kenpo :asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dominic Jones said:
Thanks for the swift and knowledgable response GD.
It was the first time for me to see the code with an attached description.
Very cool. Do you have all of the freestyle techniques written out?
Cheers Dom Sendai Kenpo :asian:
You are certainly welcome, and yes I have everything written out.

:supcool:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Too much like algebra. I hated algebra. I much prefer "when da guy go li' diss, you go li' dat". Dave
LOL :uhyeah: Yeah, in the beginning I thought the same, but after I worked with the codes for a while they are really useful teaching tools...
annnnnnnnnnd..
they can serve as a secret 2nd language at some tournaments....... %-} where the competitors don't know what you are saying..... LOL

rKtsKB5aPbkhKsrKbkB1b/aHTDPrK:idunno:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
rKtsKB5aPbkhKsrKbkB1b/aHTDPrK

Now if we can only get Mr. C. to say these outloud.. not in his 'underbreath' tones ;)
rkmnmmnmnskbmmmammlb5manamnmnatsmnmnnmnnm....... hee hee

but you know why I do this......... ;)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Concerning the technique 'Deceptive Panther', I have a question about how quick the technique starts. We were discussing it last night at our studio, and those senior to me don't like the way I am running it.

Here is the basic movement as I understand it ... not the entire technique, just to the point of my question.

• Fighting positions .. Attacker in left neutral bow, defender in right neutral bow.
  • Attack ... Right front kick to right roundhouse kick.
  • Defense ... Universal block while stepping back slightly with rear leg. Then shuffle in and perform a right side kick to the attackers' left leg.
I think my question is about a) the effectiveness of the Universal block and b) the timing of the shuffle?

a) Should this Universal Block act as a 'strike' on the front kick? (knocking the attacker off balance and interrupting the second kick)

b) I think the shuffle & side-kick should take place in the beat between the front kick and the roundhouse kick. This would move me inside the attackers' range before he can fire off that roundhouse. My instructors are telling me I am moving in too quickly, because I am not blocking the first kick.

The rest of the technique is not posing any challenges, (at this time) ... just the timing on the first move and a half. I would appreciate any thoughts?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Concerning the technique 'Deceptive Panther', I have a question about how quick the technique starts.
Greetings.....

OK, well first off..... let's make sure we are on the same page with the same description of said technique before we try to dissect it and examine it's components to find the challenge. :) Here is how we do this specific technique....... (with some additional notes for you):uhyeah:

DECEPTIVE PANTHER (Combination Right Front Snap Kick (Low) & Right Roundhouse Kick (High)

1. While in a right neutral bow, quickly shift your left foot (up the circle) toward 4:30 into a right 45 degree cat stance facing 10:30. Simultaneously deliver a left downward block to the inside of your opponent's right low kick and position (to cover high for any attack here - foot or hand) a right inward block for (what will turn out to be) his right high kick, this will resemble/become a universal block.

2. From your right 45 degree cat stance (facing 10:30), deliver a right snapping knife-edge kick to your opponent's left inner knee. (Your opponent should buckle out as well as bend forward.)

3. Plant your right foot forward into a right transitional neutral bow (facing 10:30). As you plant deliver a right downward back knuckle strike to your opponent's right mastoid. Without loss of motion pivot clockwise into a right front rotating twist stance as you deliver a left downward hammerfist to the right side of your opponent's neck.

4. Using the power of a fully accelerated move, pivot counterclockwise out of your twist stance as you deliver a right stiff-arm lifting back knuckle strike to your opponent's face. During your back knuckle strike have your left hand check at your opponent's right shoulder. As you continue the accelerated move, deliver a right back kick to his groin. This kick employs the grafting of thrusting and lifting methods of execution.

5. From the Point of Contact of your kick, execute a right front crossover, and cover out twice toward 4:30.

NOTES ON DECEPTIVE PANTHER

1. NAME: The name of this technique originates from the nature of your opponent's attack. Your opponent is first trying to deceive you with a low kick, before following up with a higher kick. This deceptive gesture resembles the feinting moves of a panther, thus the name Deceptive Panther.

2. THEME: (1)This technique is Family Related with Swinging Pendulum and Detour From Doom, thus it has a similar theme. This technique teaches you the merits of moving up the circle to get you out of the line of attack, as well as how you can extend the range of a your right Knife-Edge kick. The timing of the foot maneuver and the kick is crucial in maximizing your power. Timed with precision, body momentum becomes the chief contributor to the sum total of your force, which helps destroy his foundation. The first action triggers the second action (your right knife-edge kick to his knee), as if they were consolidated as one. Although precise timing gives you the illusion of consolidation, the two moves are, nonetheless, separate. The shifting of your feet, and gravitational marriage are repeated principles that help enhance the use of body momentum.

(2) Deceptive Panther also introduces the use of a Fully Accelerated Move, whereby you gain power by dropping into your rotating twist stance, and gain power on the lift when twisting out. This in-place stance change uses forward and reverse motion achieving nearly 360 degree torque that contributes greatly to the force of the kick.

(3) Furthermore, some of the benefits of a rotating twist stance are revealed: checking, locking, buckling, breaking, and complete rotation for power.

(4) The final kick of this technique is your introduction to Grafted Kicks where you employ a scoop, thrust, and lift.

3. THE ATTACK: In the IDEAL PHASE of this technique your opponent is to the front in a left fighting stance. He then executes a double kick; first a low front kick toward your groin, and secondly a high roundhouse kick toward your head. Other WHAT IF factors are:

a. Your opponent is able to front crossover before you counter.
b. He kicks high, then low.
c. He precedes his right kicks with a left kick.
d. Their is a wall to your immediate right that restricts your movements.

4. Determine the relationship between Deceptive Panther, Detour From Doom, and Swinging Pendulum.

5. Review Kick Set #2 for what it teaches and apply that knowledge to this technique.

6. This technique is a good example of the benefits of perceptual, mental, and physical speed. Add this technique to your freestyle movements.

NOW....... Let's get to your specific questions....

michaeledward said:
Here is the basic movement as I understand it ... not the entire technique, just to the point of my question.

* Fighting positions .. Attacker in left neutral bow, defender in right neutral bow.
All we know for sure (at this point) is that WE are in a right neutral bow. The opponent could actually be in either (wouldn't matter).

michaeledward said:
Opponents Attack ... Right front kick to right roundhouse kick.
Agreed

michaeledward said:
Defense ... Universal block while stepping back slightly with rear leg. Then shuffle in and perform a right side kick to the attackers' left leg.I think my question is about a) the effectiveness of the Universal block and b) the timing of the shuffle?
ok, a bit of detailed examination is needed here..... first off ..... we don't know that he is going to deliver a front kick then roundhouse kick so we treat this as a front kick attack with a check {universal block} (this check may or may not become active) .....

We don't deliver the 'Universal Block' by stepping back, rather UP towards 4:30 (off angling) with the rear or left leg and settle into a 45 degree cat. There is no need to "Shuffle" to deliver the right snapping knife-edge kick to your opponent's left inner knee due to the proper adjustment (which closes distance and increases access) of the left foot.

Keep in mind our 1st action is to get out of the centerline of his initial attack (front kick), we do this by shifting our left foot (up the circle) toward 4:30, as we raise our right foot up onto the ball of the foot into a right 45 degree cat stance facing 10:30, simultaneously delivering a left downward block to the inside of your opponent's right low kick and at the same time position (to cover high for ANY attack here - foot or hand) with the right hand a right inward block/check [Important NOTE: this will be defined as a block if contact is made .... if not it will simply be a positional check] for (what will turn out to be) his right high kick, this will resemble/become a universal block in either instance.

The Universal Block is very effective here, it allows for complete coverage for actual or perceived protection, whether or not it utilizes both left and right arms or just one.

michaeledward said:
a) Should this Universal Block act as a 'strike' on the front kick (knocking the attacker off balance and interrupting the second kick) or just a 'block'?
Either. It can act only as a block or if you have the skill for sophisticated delivery of motion,....... then you can have a "striking block".:ultracool

michaeledward said:
b) I think the shuffle & side-kick should take place in the beat between the front kick and the roundhouse kick. This would move me inside the attackers' range before he can fire off that roundhouse. My instructors are telling me I am moving in too quickly, because I am not blocking the first kick.
With the way that we have described the technique above... this would not be applicable, but it would be a great what if, .... if the opponent reacted away from you on the first block and you needed to adjust closer due to his increased distance after the front kick... you would be forced to make some sort of adjustments, which may include a shuffle in this instance.

michaeledward said:
The rest of the technique is not posing any challenges, (at this time) ... just the timing on the first move and a half. I would appreciate any thoughts?

I hope this helps shed some light for you. Great question btw!

Latest Discussions