Q an A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why the offensive move in long 2?

I am refering to the smother punch/sweep kick, uppercut/forarm strike, eye pokes.
Other then the obvious fact that it is offensive and that is the opposit of defensive/counters.:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Conatser may be in Austrailia still. Lucky dog, it is mid-winter Down Under right now. You may have to wait for your answer from him a bit.

It is an offensive move, but can also be considered a counter in that the Thrusting Sweep kick is a counter against a lead leg kick. That is not THE ANSWER, it is an answer. Also of note are that you get previews of things to come in Long #2, just like we do with the hand isolations in Long #1 being put into practice in Long #2.

Can you think of anywhere in the 3's, 4's, 5,'s, 6 or 7 where we see the same or similar actions?

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mr Billings,

Thanks for the info. It is food for thought and I will have to analize the motion a bit deeper and the look for the similarties with the others.:asian: :asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Mr. Conatser may be in Austrailia still.

I believe Mr. C. will be home on either Mon July 7th or Tues the 8th.
:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
It is an offensive move, but can also be considered a counter in that the Thrusting Sweep kick is a counter against a lead leg kick. That is not THE ANSWER, it is an answer. Also of note are that you get previews of things to come in Long #2, just like we do with the hand isolations in Long #1 being put into practice in Long #2.

Can you think of anywhere in the 3's, 4's, 5,'s, 6 or 7 where we see the same or similar actions?

The thrusting sweep kick as an offensive move?

Long 3 - Scraping Hoof
Long 4 - at the end after Twirling Hammers
Long 5 - at the end after Leaping Crane opp. to the close after T.H.
Long 6 - During Entwined Lance
Long 7 - I don't know that one.

Is this what you were looking for??? 'cause I'm at work and inbetween customers.:eek: :p

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Golden One, (copied from Kick thread)

On it's own thread is the question of "where the kick (promotion ceremony) came from. I know what it means from my instructors, Mr. Parker, and what I share with my students ... but I plead ignorance (a common plea for me) when it comes to it's origin. I know there are always "Rights of passage" whether you are a Shaolin monk and into branding, or whether a Marine and getting "pinned".

This right of passage is a big one for my students and myself. It is integral to the promotion ceremony and symbolic in nature ... as my feet leave the ground and I am caught. Where did this specific one come from, and when did Mr. Parker make it part of his promotions?

Thanks, -MB

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread has been dormant too long.
Was the previous question about the kick answered?

Mr. C, did you post anything elsewhere about your tour of Australia?

Vive la QnA Thread!

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by Michael Billings
"Where did this specific kick (ceremony) promotion come from, and when did Mr. Parker make it part of his promotions?

Everyone I've asked just said that it has always been there.......... so.....

:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
have you ever done a self-defense technique demo, and if so, what was the sequence and with how many partners?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
Have you ever done a self-defense technique demo, and if so, what was the sequence and with how many partners?

LOL, I make them up as I go..... or take a group of techniques and do them..... or do short 3 against opponents..... hell there are hundreds of combinations with any number of opponents.

:rofl:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
..wasn't precisely the answer I was goin' for. :shrug:

What kind of "Self Defense demo" might you be talking about then.... where ..... for what purpose... give me some more details....

:confused:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
What kind of "Self Defense demo" might you be talking about then.... where ..... for what purpose... give me some more details....

:confused:

quite honestly, for the hell of it. I like the precision and the timing that goes into them, and it looks badass when the uki's respond accordingly and techs. flow into one another.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
quite honestly, for the hell of it. I like the precision and the timing that goes into them, and it looks badass when the uki's respond accordingly and techs. flow into one another.

Then why not just go smack someone around then? :confused:

Some of the Demo.'s I've been involved with we have used a specific form and whilist the person is doing the empty hand form another group of people were doing the tech's on someone. As far as material pick tech's out of the web of knowledge and show the complexity as they get more in depth on the degree of difficulty. Show some sets to give the audience an understanding of what we do and why. Perform some sets with a partner using the "mirror image" or "opposite side" along with coordination drills while demonstrating.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Then why not just go smack someone around then? :confused:

Some of the Demo.'s I've been involved with we have used a specific form and whilist the person is doing the empty hand form another group of people were doing the tech's on someone. As far as material pick tech's out of the web of knowledge and show the complexity as they get more in depth on the degree of difficulty. Show some sets to give the audience an understanding of what we do and why. Perform some sets with a partner using the "mirror image" or "opposite side" along with coordination drills while demonstrating.

And what in the sam hill were you doing while everyone else was showing off?:rolleyes:

Latest Discussions