Virtual Test.........

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since my brother asked me to chime in I'll ask a few questions.

1) Recite (type) the 1st Brown pledge (no peeking)...

2) At this point, what is your greatest contribution to the system? What do you eventually hope it to be?

3) You haven't worn another belt in a while my friend, do you have enough steam to hang in there after this?

4) At this point in your MA career if you could universally change anything in EP American Kenpo, what would it be? and why?

Your Brother in the Arts, jb:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
Since my brother asked me to chime in I'll ask a few questions.

1) Recite (type) the 1st Brown pledge (no peeking)...

2) At this point, what is your greatest contribution to the system? What do you eventually hope it to be?

3) You haven't worn another belt in a while my friend, do you have enough steam to hang in there after this?

4) At this point in your MA career if you could universally change anything in EP American Kenpo, what would it be? and why?

Your Brother in the Arts, jb:asian:

Hmmm.

I originally interpreted this Multi-part essay question as "Please describe in 2,500 words or less, the nature and origin of the Universe. Please be complete in your answer." But now I have reconsidered that interpretation so here goes. Elaboration available upon request.

1. I can not. I did not know the Pledges last year, and this year, in addition to having better endurance, I am supposed to know them all. So I will. But not today.
:(

2. My greatest contribution to date is the American Kenpo Homecoming Video. I think. I don't know yet what I might eventually hope it to be.

3. If you mean do I have enough steam to make Black after spending 12 years making it to 1st Brown (should that turn out to be the case), then Yes. That is not an issue. I will not quit at 1st Brown. Maybe at 3rd... I thought about that for about a decade...
:eek:

4. I think it would be most cool if we had a TV Interview or Videotape or something, perhaps where Mr. Parker was teaching the Yellow Belt stuff or some basics, where he said, unequivically "I'd like X to happen in/with American Kenpo if I died this afternoon." So that we'd all have a clear guideline as to what he wanted done.

But he may have done that. Back before I got all confused on the Internet, I thought Mr. Parker wanted everyone to be Self-Correcting and evolve the system after becoming proficient at the Spontaneous/Gaseous level. But it would have been nice if he'd said "Here, do this when you can no longer consult me." Especially if he'd set up some type of line of succession for the IKKA even if it were a council of 12 or 32 or 26 or 12 for that matter.
:asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I owe an apology to Mr. C and to Doug. I do find this quiz interesting and valuable.

No offense was ever taken....

Thanks for your perspectives.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
No offense was ever taken....

Thanks for your perspectives.

Amen.
I meant to address that earlier OFK. I never took offense but I wondered if it was clear on this thread that Mr. C proposed this as an online "primer" for my real, in-person test at camp on Nov 14-16. The idea behind this thread is that you guys are helping me get my brain working properly for test-time.

I of course took it as a compliment that you thought I was ready to pass right now. :)

I also almost choked from laughing so hard at Mr. Billings "fully "loaded" belt, with as many stripes as you can afford."

And I had also resisted the temptation to comment on distance learning but I will go ahead and give in here and say that I was rated in my region last year on a State Championship Circuit that I competed in. I was rated 1st for Forms and Weapons and in the top 5 for fighting and was invited to compete in all 3 categories at the State Championships which I could not attend. So I do go out to strange places and fight occasionally to keep myself honest and make sure I can actually do this stuff under a bit of pressure. Lest anyone think I do most of my Kenpo online. Heaven forbid.
:eek:

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What a great thread! I enjoyed reading this.
So, how did the test go (2 years ago :) ) ?

fuhok

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hall,

I must in good conscious tell one of your darkest secrets. Did you are did you not create your own system of Kenpo? Did you or did you not declare your self the Grand Master of that system? I would like you to elaborate on your Olive Garden Kenpo system. Don’t wait for the translation answer the quesiton!

(I have know Mr. Hall for over 15 years and have been waiting for this opportunity

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What a great thread! I enjoyed reading this.
So, how did the test go (2 years ago :) ) ?

Hello KenpoEMT,

My apologies for not responding. I've been off the boards for maybe 2yrs... I just ran across this thread.

I did not make it to that camp/test. I had surgery before camp and was still recovering from it. I tested the following year in Oct 2005 and was promoted to 1st Brown at that time.

On Sept 2nd 2006, I attended a Kenpo 5.0 seminar with my instructor Prof. Duffy as part of our quarterly instructor training camps. At this camp I took my "Last picture in this [Brown] belt" and I'll try to attach it to this post.

I was tested and promoted to 1st Black last weekend on Oct 7, 2006. I don't have good photo editing software, or a good photo or I'd post one of those here. But here is the last photo of me in a Brown Belt if I can get it working.
HallLastBrnBalloonSM.jpg

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hall,

I must in good conscious tell one of your darkest secrets. Did you are did you not create your own system of Kenpo? Did you or did you not declare your self the Grand Master of that system? I would like you to elaborate on your Olive Garden Kenpo system. Don’t wait for the translation answer the quesiton!

(I have know Mr. Hall for over 15 years and have been waiting for this opportunity

Grasshopper,

I have been away some time. This is a topic best suited to another thread. Yes I did create my own system. Yes I am the Grand Master of it. Yes I also have nearly 10 years in that Art.

And there is a guy on here that will certify me in that too. I need to search for him but this should only continue on another thread...

Have you been practicing?! :mst:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello KenpoEMT,

I was tested and promoted to 1st Black last weekend on Oct 7, 2006. I don't have good photo editing software, or a good photo or I'd post one of those here.

This might work I guess. It is not a good "Commemorative Photo." I'll try to get a good photo with Mr. Duffy next time I go to class. I guess it is clear enough that I'm not wearing a brown belt anyway.

Hall1stBlkDatedSM.jpg

This thread should close now I think. Re-reading it was very cool. It was a good use of the Internet I think. My thanks to everyone.