Virtual Test.........

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
How about this one...

If GM Parker were still alive, and you could ask him for one point of clarification, either about a specific technique or the art in general, what would you ask him?

Whew! An easy one. Or so it seems. I would ask "Is the point of the entire system to be to move spontaneously, efficiently and in multiple directions at once regardless of how many techniques or what types of technique it takes to train someone to get to this point?"

Feel free to ask me to elaborate as you see fit.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by don bohrer
Doug,

If you could give a newby three pointers on executing techniques what would they be?

don

Whew. I also teach this in most of my intros. All of them when I remember. :)

1. Keep your back straight
2. Keep your shoulders over your hips
3. When in doubt (about a stance, angle, amount of power....) split the difference

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
What is your personal forms theme on....

For this test my form theme will be on Simultaneous Upper and Lower Body Strikes and I hope to modify 15 techniques to add complimentary strikes so that whenever possible a Upper or Middle Body strike is accompanied by an attack to the hips or the legs.

Originally I had hoped to use some of my Black Belt Thesis research for this test but that is not going to be practical to attempt.

Feel free to ask for elaboration and clarification.

K

KenpoGirl

What, in your opinion, is the most important focal point in your training? Basics, Tech's, Freestyle, coordination, mental, spontenaity or something else, and why?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or do you have a topic yet?

A written Thesis is not required for this test.

Elaboration available upon request.
:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
What, in your opinion, is the most important focal point in your training? Basics, Tech's, Freestyle, coordination, mental, spontenaity or something else, and why?

If I understand correctly my answer is that Basics are the most important part of training. If your basics are not solid then your combinations of Basics, which we call techniques, will not be solid and this will inhibit your Freestyle and coordination and may also therefore intermittently interrupt your mental concentration, spontaneity and everything else.

It is hard to run if you can not stand up. I would think.

---
As part of this virtual test, I can upon request I can elaborate further on any answer.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Next questions:

in 100 words, Explain the existence of the universe. :p

Demonstrate and show what fission energy is.

In 100 words or less, explain the meaning of life.

Good luck:p :p :p

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want to be promoted?

Because it is not a Journey, unless you are moving.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A comment and a quesiton:

First, I disagree with promotions having anything to do with moving through your own "Journey";

Second, What is it in you that seeks the validation of yourself from others, i.e. rank? You are exposed to a tremendous amount of knowledge, so I know it is not just the lack of material.

-MB

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
A comment and a quesiton:

First, I disagree with promotions having anything to do with moving through your own "Journey";

Second, What is it in you that seeks the validation of yourself from others, i.e. rank? You are exposed to a tremendous amount of knowledge, so I know it is not just the lack of material.

-MB

I confess that I do not fully understand your question, sir.
However, as Mr. Parker outlined his Belt Ranking System in Infinite Insights Book 1 and I subscribe to his asertions, I would like to progress through that system. And I would like to progress through that system as if he taught me himself. That is impossible I know, but I evaluate all my learning through that Prism. I think "Hmmm, is this how Mr. Parker did it? Is this how he would have shown me to do it?" Again, I have no way to know this but it seems I can get close and that this is a good way to work through his system.

I'm also assuming that Mr. Parker "built" Kenpo and gave us the Yellow Brick Road/Belt Ranking System as a means to "get there" and that once I have travelled all the way down that path, I will have a much greater probability of knowing Why Mr. Parker laid such a path than I would had I stopped halfway there and thought to myself "This is a stupid place to put a path in the woods, why should I keep walking?"

Did Dorothy stop on the Yellow Brick Road and say "Can't we get to the Emerald City by Helicopter?" I don't think so, she only knew that she had to get to the Emerald City.

As a student in an art with a Belt Ranking System as Mr. Parker outlined I think it is my duty to follow the Belt Ranking System through before I can adequately form an opion of what it puports to teach. Assuming I believe the end of the Journey to be worthwhile (even though it may also be the start of another Journey).

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am somewhat playing devil's advocate here, but given your time IN the Art, your time AT the Art is disproportionate. (mine too, I know!)

I think it is a bit disingenuous to say:

cdhall posted:

I think it is my duty to follow the Belt Ranking System through before I can adequately form an opion of what it puports to teach.

We are not puppets on a string, nor are we good little soldiers marching all in a row to a goal at the end of "the yellow brick road". Rather, I would argue that the path itself is the Journey, and I would bet dollars to donuts you have already formed an opinion of not only what it purports to teach, but of what in-fact it does teach.

You are sorta backing into something with less that a full committment. I know how many seminars you attend, the time you spend AT the Art as v. IN the Art. You are ready to move on. Do so here as well as at your upcoming test. Boldly, with confidence (not to be confused with arrogance), and do your best.

-Michael

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry Mr. Billings I'm still confused.

To be fair from about 1987-1998 I was only peripherally involved In the Art. But if Mr. Parker outlined the Belt Ranking System well then I should go through it to see what he was thinking. Really. I picked Mr. Duffy over Mr. Abedin because Mr. Duffy was in the IKKA and had gone down the path I wanted to follow. I knew that would cost me some time in the Belt Ranking system.

I think that in honor of Mr. Parker's efforts I should find a way to get his system, as he outlined it, from someone who knows it.

At that point I will feel that I can have a claim, by Mr. Parker's own standards, to "know" Kenpo. Not to have mastered it. Not that I don't know a lot of it now. But I think that following the Ranking system is part of the deal, otherwise I'd go do JKD or something and not wear a gi or a belt and maybe even be more like Gou Ronin. :eek:

I'm not trying to duck you. If I didn't understand your question, post it again or PM me if you like, but I don't mind accounting for myself out in the open.

At least not yet.

P.S. During about half of my 10 years In Kenpo, I averaged 1 class per month or less while I was in College, commuting between San Antonio and Austin and/or was pre-occupied looking for a job or going into and coming out of the Army. So I really have about 10 years At the Art broken into 2 large pieces.

I'm going to PM you to follow up with more info but I can repeat some or all if it here if necessary.

By the way sir, it is very flattering that you are this interested in my Kenpo well-being. No kidding. I mean that. There is a lot of mutual support on this board between many of the members (ie. Ian's thread on being graded) but I want to be sure to give you a thank-you here.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say we just promote Doug right now. Why even ask for a video when an internet quiz proves someone can talk about Kenpo principles.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that cracked me up.

So you don't have to walk the walk if you can talk the talk. (In my announcer's voice) "So for a mere $999.00, I too will promote you to Black, and for a measly $500 per stripe, I will send you now, a fully "loaded" belt, with as many stripes as you can afford."

Doug has to test in-persona, and it will be a tough one if I know his instructor. Nothing like a little pain for a lotta gain.

Oss,
-Michael:D

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you OFK.

By the way, for what it is worth my "Panel" last year was comprised of Mr. Duffy, Mr. Trejo and Mr. White.

My endurance was lacking last year and it had better be noticeably improved this year.

Mr. White and Mr. Trejo will both be at camp. It is possible I will have the same testing board as I had last year.

I better Not make any of the same mistakes!
:eek: