Q an A

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
When I used to help coreograph these "demos" for tournament competition, I told the team leader to pick a theme. Once a theme was decided upon, a flow could be conceived. From there, the sky's the limit. Of course, Mr. C probably has a much more logical, scientific approach. I'm ready to learn something new, do tell, sir.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I'll bet it was wrong.........................:rofl:

I guess it could be but I've studied Mr. Planas' video's on form 6 many times over and took 3 pages worth of notes. Other than my immediate instructor no one else has looked over it as I've performed it.:mad:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I guess it could be but I've studied Mr. Planas' video's on form 6 many times over and took 3 pages worth of notes. Other than my immediate instructor no one else has looked over it as I've performed it.:mad:

Don't frown at me Mister! You're wrong, now go back and practice!:D

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

When I used to help coreograph these "demos" for tournament competition, I told the team leader to pick a theme. Once a theme was decided upon, a flow could be conceived. From there, the sky's the limit. Of course, Mr. C probably has a much more logical, scientific approach. I'm ready to learn something new, do tell, sir.

Depending on where you are doing the demo and what the audience is .... will depend on what you develop. Some "demos" are for competition, some for information (advertisement for studio), some historical, yet others entertaining.

If it is for a tournament..... then there are numerous possibilities with much technical info and angling toward the judges.

If it is for a public demonstration in front of a grocery store or movie theater (we did several demos at theaters on stage for the opening of Enter the Dragon ..... many moons ago) then other designs may be formulated.

The sky is the limit and it can be a lot of work and fun to develop them.

If we have time, next time I'm out remind me and we will whip up one in class for fun, and go over a few different examples.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
A underhand heelpalm is a heel palm thrown as it rises from a low region upwards ..... and hits strictly with the palm heel

A upward Claw is a maneuver similar to the upward heelpalm but also uses the fingers in a "clawing" fashion.
and is "usually" executed behind the radial line reference of the shoulders in an upward stiff-arm manner.

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on escape from the storm and what are some of the variations you have seen? what was the purpose behind the ending?
later
jay

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
What's your sign? do you come here often?
LOL, hmmmmm ahhhhhhh an intellectual I presume......lol Well my sign is Scorpio, Dragon, and proceed with caution!

Doc said:
Do you come here often?
Only once in a while unless awakened.

Attachments

• $sleepingdragon.gif
    44 KB · Views: 284

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I think everyone ran out of questions......LOL

:idunno:
OK, I can think of at least on more question. But please politely refer me to a link of this has been gone over before.
:idunno:

Why do so many of the weapon techniques not follow "Divert, Seize, Control, Disarm?"

Why and for what purpose was this formula developed if not for the high-level weapon techniqes?

For the weapon techniques that do not use this formula, should they be updated by a Kenpoist or his/her instructor to follow the formula?

As one of my favorite essay-exam giving teachers used to always add to every essay question, why or why not?

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jaybacca72 said:
What are your thoughts on escape from the storm.

What are some of the variations you have seen?

What was the purpose behind the ending?
later jay
You just had to ask didn't you.......... LOL ok here goes...
Escape from the Storm's theme is a variation of "Brushing the Storm" but introduces new strikes (inverted palm heel strikes with twist stance use as well as using a crossover as a "Bracing Angle" and "Fulcrum" on the lower limbs).
This also utilizes "Dropping" to the ground and the importance to being low as you "manipulate" the opponent. Note how tracking is utilized, and the adjustments and alterations due to depth factors is needed.

As to variations, there are or can be an unlimited number depending upon which point during the technique you deviate from. You can graft any number of different scenarios or variable expansions. I personally like to insert a "take down" after the heel palm to the groin and lifting the leg, but that is just one of many possibilities.

As in all "ideal" phased techniques ..... we establish an initial "point of reference" for the new student. As the student matures, the "what if" factors and experimentation is necessary to explore since the ideal phase is only "one" possibility that may occur and the advanced student must realize that many factors can/will come into play in a real confrontation, thus the need to be able to apply extemporaneously the equation formula, and thus formulate from your repertoire of knowledge to be successful.

"One" example or purpose would be.... after you grabbed the leg and kicked to the groin, you may have slipped a bit and fell forward thus forcing you to go down rather than to remain a "stand up", so you drop into a "twist" and continue in some fashion such as described. This is only one possibility and many, many others can be formulated as well.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
cdhall said:
In our weapons training we utilize the following formula, "Divert, Seize, Control, Disarm. Why and for what purpose was this formula developed?
One of the unique qualities of Ed Parker's American Kenpo System is the attention and LOGIC dedicated to either principles, concepts or theories.

To thoroughly understand and thus teach this system you need tools to work with. This is just one example of an important tool.

cdhall said:
Why do many of the weapon techniques not follow "Divert, Seize, Control, Disarm?"
We must realize that there are many factors that go into the understanding of our "system". One of these factors is that there are always exceptions or "options" (for the advanced students not necessarily taught to the beginners) to any rules that may have been developed. The Equation Formula also comes into play here, i. e., one may start with Divert, then move directly to Disarm and eliminate "Seize and Control, or opt for another rearrangement due to specific circumstances due to several considerations... (environment, range etc.). :)

cdhall said:
For the weapon techniques that do not use this formula, should they be updated by a Kenpoist or his/her instructor to follow the formula?
Well, first off.... ALL"DO" use the formula, just not always in the exact order you mentioned. I don't know if "updated" is the correct word I would use. I would rather say "understand" more of the depth of the formula and it's variables and why.

cdhall said:
As one of my favorite essay-exam giving teachers used to always add to every essay question, why or why not?
Now you should have more ammo...... so tell me why or why not.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
"One" example or purpose would be.... after you grabbed the leg and kicked to the groin, you may have slipped a bit and fell forward thus forcing you to go down rather than to remain a "stand up", so you drop into a "twist" and continue in some fashion such as described. This is only one possibility and many, many others can be formulated as well.
makes sense~ what has me puzzled is after all that, doing the in-place switch and going back in... i'm sure there is good reason, i just don't see it.

pete

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
makes sense~ what has me puzzled is after all that, doing the in-place switch and going back in... i'm sure there is good reason, i just don't see it.

pete
Neither do I, however - Mr. Parker always told me that you should never view THOSE (his emphasis) techniques as complete entities. Sometimes you remove certain ideas from the technique and study them independent of the rest of the "moves."

From that perspective, the "in-place switch and going back in ..." may make more sense. Just maybe you are not going back in but initiating from a singular circumstance that finds an attacker vulnerable to such an action based on environmental as well as other factors. Just a thought Pete.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Could we ever envision a "Gathering of the Eagles" type thing for EPAK specifically? All the members of the Journey, all those that should have been in there (Kelly, Palanzo, Doc, etc...), and others that are making an impact at this time (Whitson, etc..)? Or are there too many "organizational gatherings" and "seminar formats" already to prevent this reality from happening? Could such an event lead to improvements in the system as a whole? Or should there be another design format to encourage should dialogue?

jb

Latest Discussions