Q an A

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenpoNovice said:

Could an argument be made that the Yellow Belt Self-Defense techniques are the master key techniques?
NO, however, since they are the 1st exposure to the system, obviously there are many key ingredients there but not all not to mention at this level there is no need to press "keys".... the student can't even walk and chew gum much less understand the underlying approach and details to the system.

That is why we 1st are taught to - KNOW OF ..... then, KNOW ...... and finally we seek to UNDERSTAND.

KenpoNovice said:
If Yellow Belt couldn’t work as the "Master Key Techniques for the system", shouldn’t we revise the system, placing the Master Key Techniques at Yellow Belt, so the student can familiarize themselves from the beginning?

Possibly, but once you clearly (and I have to emphasize clearly) there is no need (why reinvent the wheel) annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is much more to it than just 10 beginning techniques.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
NO, however, since they are the 1st exposure to the system, obviously there are many key ingredients there but not all not to mention at this level there is no need to press "keys".... the student can't even walk and chew gum much less understand the underlying approach and details to the system.

That is why we 1st are taught to - KNOW OF ..... then, KNOW ...... and finally we seek to UNDERSTAND.

Possibly, but once you clearly (and I have to emphasize clearly) there is no need (why reinvent the wheel) annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is much more to it than just 10 beginning techniques.

:asian:
There you go giving the obvious answer again, :)

K

KenpoNovice

Mr. Chapel and Mr. Conaster:

Thank you for your answers!

KenpoNovice

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Conatser,

I recently posted the following in a recent thread. What are your thoughts, please?

Category Completion seems to be one of the most widely used and least explained terms in all of EPAK. What is your definition of this term, how does it apply to how you use/approach the art and can you give specific examples where it is demonstrated?

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
yeah.......... I met him a time or two...

:supcool:
I have no independent recollection of Mr. Conatser or any illegal acts he may or may not have committed.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I have no independent recollection of Mr. Conatser or any illegal acts he may or may not have committed.

I take it you forgot about the gorilla costume and cheez whiz incident in Hoboken back in 1978???

How easily we forget!!!! :drinkbeer:partyon::lool:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
I take it you forgot about the gorilla costume and cheez whiz incident in Hoboken back in 1978???

How easily we forget!!!! :drinkbeer:partyon::lool:
My attorney will contact you on Monday morning for violation of the confidentiality agreement you signed.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bdparsons said:
Mr. Conatser,
I recently posted the following in a recent thread. What are your thoughts, please?

Category Completion seems to be one of the most widely used and least explained terms in all of EPAK. What is your definition of this term, how does it apply to how you use/approach the art and can you give specific examples where it is demonstrated?

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

The term "category completion" is a term that "Huk Planas" has coined (not an actual Ed Paker Kenpo term) to demonstrate the many basic 'actions' that ones body can and should be aware of. i.e. inward block - outward block (uppercase) then downward outside - downward inside (lower case). Demonstrating that there is an inward and an outward in the upper level and an inside and outside on the lower level thus teaching a complete complimentary coverage for both upper and lower. This happens over and over with all of the basics. But many seem to not know or understand all of these options and varied basic actions that we can have with the human body.

I hope that sheds some light on the subject.

btw how are you....:)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

What is the Black Dot Focus Concept ?

Having a significant background and exposure to the Japanese Martial Arts in Hawaii presented Ed Parker, with a dichotomy of perspectives when he made the transition to a wholly Chinese based methodology in Southern California around 1961.

One of the prevailing methods among some Japanese Stylists is the concept of the "One Punch Kill Philosophy." Although a misinterpretation of the Chinese Martial Sciences, it prevailed and dominated within the Japanese Cultural Arts in general, and the various Karate-do styles in particular. Some have philosophized its progenitor was in the teaching of the Japanese Sword Arts.

This concept emphasized the training of sharp powerful blows designed to incapacitate or "kill" with one strike, in conjunction with the pari passu position of the opposite striking hand to the hip.

Prevalent in Kata, and step sparring, it seemed in Parker's observations to be at odds with the combat experiences he had on the streets, and his training as a boxer, even though the Japanese were intensely finical in this aspect of their training. Parker considered this to be a tocsin in any interpretation of what he was exposed to, and clearly a questionable tactic.

Ultimately this flawed concept became completely exposed when Parker switched lineages. He often spoke of how he had acute dysphagia in this regard, and found its Kafkaesque nature obvious when the misinterpretation was placed in context. Clearly this was an unfledged perspective.

Explained by Sifu Ark Wong as a curate's egg methodology, it depended extensively on information not readily available to the perspective of the Japanese training, which emphasized the "do" aspect over function. Although potentially an artifice, clearly it was being misinterpreted.

Parker ultimately chose to demonstrate his perspicacity of the concept by inserting an elementary or simplified concept into his various teaching interpretations after his lineage change. He conceptually called it "White Dot versus Black Dot Focus."

From a superficies perspective, he assigned "White Dot" to the Japanese concept. This indicated the emphasis of striking with one hand while assigning the counter position of the opposing limb to "pulling back" to the hip, ostensibly to create a powerful strike. Although anatomically, in some applications, this can have a measure of viability, in other applications it ignore the reality of human physical confrontation and contested martial interactivity.

The "white dot" was to be visualized on a "black background," with the white dot representing the focus of the strike, with the exclusion of all other awareness or "blackness." While Parker allowed some validity to the concept of the pari passu, he felt to ignore other offensive possibilities of a combatant as folly and felt it necessary to interpellate the idea.

In the early years many old and transplanted students had great difficulty when Parker attempted to deracinate them from old habits. In many instances, he chose to let them continue even though he personally felt much of it was a tarradiddle at odds with purposeful applications.

Parker however, based his own applications on the "Black Dot Focus" perspective as emphasize by my first teacher, Ark Wong. Although stopping short of direct vilipend of the concept, Ark Wong often spoke of its misapplications.

"Black Dot Focus" as promoted by the Parker Concept visualized a "black dot on a white background." Here the black dot represented the striking point, and the white background reminded students to be aware of defensive and offensive possibilities beyond the strike emphasis. However, even though this is true, all applications are subject to the vicissitudes of the dynamics of human martial interactions of combat Kraiguar.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "white dot" was to be visualized on a "black background," with the white dot representing the focus of the strike, with the exclusion of all other awareness or "blackness."

"Black Dot Focus" Here the black dot represented the striking point, and the white background reminded students to be aware of defensive and offensive possibilities beyond the strike emphasis.

:banghead: Hey I thought I told you not to tell anyone without my permission! :yoda:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but very close at the Internationals one year this fighter named "choo choo" was about to get his ........ handed to him. Mr. Parker came flying down the stage and the entire arena was around this one ring with he and Mr. Parker in the middle...... I was right behind Mr. Parker, Man was that exciting!! But it didn't come to pass. Thank goodness......... The guy smartly backed down......:rofl:

I would imagine that the agitator had to take at least a moment to look around, and realize even if he could get through the guy with the silver mane there were an awful lot of guys wearing his patch!

Latest Discussions