Supplement my TKD

B

blueman

I'm currently a gold belt taking local classes 2-3 times a week in Tae Kwon Do. I would like to supplement these lessons with private "one on one lessons" in just training the proper techniques for kicks. When I ask my instructors whether anyone gives such lessons they dismiss my query with telling me not to "rush" the process. I'm not satisfied with that answer. The current classes I take are like a clinic and there is barely any personal attention from the instructor. There's personalized training in tennis, golf, etc., why not TKD? Any thoughts on what I should do to find a one on one instructor?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think you're instructor is right...whether or not you're happy with it...learning proper technique takes a long time...you're muscle's need time to adjust and "learn" what to do...extra practice may not always help that much...i'm not saying only practice a couple of times a week for about a half an hour...but pushing yourself too hard can be just as detrimental as not doing anything...

keep working hard in class...improvement is a long, slow process

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bignick is right. Mostly at first you need to build muscle, the right muscle for TKD. You can-- on 5 or 6 days out of the week do TKD at the clinic or at home. Kneeups-knees to chest, practice sidekicks, front, round, practice flexibility-you will need it as in side and front splits, see flexibility threads.

Practice pushups, crunches, you will need your abs. Practice your form as your instructor has shown you. Alot of repetition is required for form. Ten times each day, not rushed but correctly. Do the long forward stances, long and correctly-shoulder length apart, back leg locked and heel down. And do the blocks correctly from the correct crossover start position. Try practicing holding your front kicks (out at point of kick) for a few seconds.

Remember this is a loonnnnng process, you should concentrate on becoming as good as you can for the material you learn at that level. If you don't learn the basics well, it will show later. TW

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do it on your own then. Take a technique a night a few nights a week and work out focusing ONLY on technical/mechanical efficiency. NO power, NO speed. Just four count front kicks until you are ready to pull your hair out.

I think taking a Tai Chi "low and slow" mentallity to a few basic techniques is a great way to develop technical proficiency. It won't 'accelerate' the process, but it will 'solidify' the consistency of sould mechanics.

Instead of asking for private lessons, take the initiative to ask about specific 'techical focus points' in a single technique of your instructor. "What makes a 'perfect' front kick?" for instance. Proper chamber, proper base leg orientation/planting, pointed or pulled back toes..... you know the game. Then, spend 10 minutes a day on just one technique for technical consistency...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
blueman said:
I'm currently a gold belt taking local classes 2-3 times a week in Tae Kwon Do. I would like to supplement these lessons with private "one on one lessons" in just training the proper techniques for kicks. When I ask my instructors whether anyone gives such lessons they dismiss my query with telling me not to "rush" the process. I'm not satisfied with that answer.
I gotta say, no matter what you do, it's going to take time and it's not really a process that you can rush even with private lessons or relentless drilling. You'll just wear yourself out with minimal gains.

You could try finding a training partner though. That might satisfy your needs for a more personal focus.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
blueman said:
I'm currently a gold belt taking local classes 2-3 times a week in Tae Kwon Do. I would like to supplement these lessons with private "one on one lessons" in just training the proper techniques for kicks. When I ask my instructors whether anyone gives such lessons they dismiss my query with telling me not to "rush" the process. I'm not satisfied with that answer. The current classes I take are like a clinic and there is barely any personal attention from the instructor. There's personalized training in tennis, golf, etc., why not TKD? Any thoughts on what I should do to find a one on one instructor?

Are you saying that the instructor is not taking the time to make sure you are doing the kicks technically correct? are there maybe other BB/senior ranks in the class that you can get advise from??

If you are unhappy with type of instruction, maybe you should look around.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nay sayers, ALL OF YOU. It takes time, yes, but there is nothing wrong with suplementing. The trouble would be trying to find someone, then making sure that not only is he/she qualified, but does he/she also teach the same tech. Private lessons can be anywhere from $20-$80 an hour, depepnding on qualifications. If you really want to do it, you should do your homework. The biggest problem however, is that you will be going against your instructor's wishes. This damages the trust and respect that you and your instructor should have for each other. If you are not happy with what you are getting from your experience, you should find a new instructor.

Just my oppinion

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
Nay sayers, ALL OF YOU. It takes time, yes, but there is nothing wrong with suplementing. The trouble would be trying to find someone, then making sure that not only is he/she qualified, but does he/she also teach the same tech. Private lessons can be anywhere from $20-$80 an hour, depepnding on qualifications. If you really want to do it, you should do your homework. The biggest problem however, is that you will be going against your instructor's wishes. This damages the trust and respect that you and your instructor should have for each other. If you are not happy with what you are getting from your experience, you should find a new instructor.

Just my oppinion
Han Mi I totally disagree with your comment, he is a gold belt not ready for one on one lessons. It will be a waste of money this early in the game. They can work on technique by themself or perhaps get advice from upper belts after class. One on One training is more often for the serious MA'ers no offense but a gold belt has maybe 6 to 12 weeks in not really enough time for them to really stretch those muscles properly. I believe a Mc Dojo would be ready to pounch on a victom his instructor will let him know when the time is right for him. Like I said no disrespect here, just My OPION.... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Han Mi I totally disagree with your comment, he is a gold belt not ready for one on one lessons. It will be a waste of money this early in the game. They can work on technique by themself or perhaps get advice from upper belts after class. One on One training is more often for the serious MA'ers no offense but a gold belt has maybe 6 to 12 weeks in not really enough time for them to really stretch those muscles properly. I believe a Mc Dojo would be ready to pounch on a victom his instructor will let him know when the time is right for him. Like I said no disrespect here, just My OPION.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
I understand your concerns. However, there are still benefits to one on one lessons. At my studio, we don't get many students that want or need them, however when a student asks for private lessons, we try to accomidate them. Sometimes it is because their schedule dosn't permit them to come to class at the regular time and sometimes they are falling into a pit. Whatever the reason, I had a green belt that needed private lessons in order to help him focus and retain proper technique. He had adhd, so that was the reason. Also My instructor has had many people start in private lessons and move on to the class. There is nothing wrong with one on one instruction. If the student believes that they are getting something out of it, who are we to say it is wrong?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
I understand your concerns. However, there are still benefits to one on one lessons. At my studio, we don't get many students that want or need them, however when a student asks for private lessons, we try to accomidate them. Sometimes it is because their schedule dosn't permit them to come to class at the regular time and sometimes they are falling into a pit. Whatever the reason, I had a green belt that needed private lessons in order to help him focus and retain proper technique. He had adhd, so that was the reason. Also My instructor has had many people start in private lessons and move on to the class. There is nothing wrong with one on one instruction. If the student believes that they are getting something out of it, who are we to say it is wrong?
Very well put, you are exactly right it is up to the instructor and his said no for whatever reason he had. There maybe more to the story then me and you will ever know. I know I will not give privates to just anybody they have to have a commitment to the Art of TKD and be in good standing with the school I run, and if it's a child there homework better be done also or no one on one for them. Too mony possibilities that we can't see, so my advice is follow the instructor wishes... His school his rules.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
icon10.gif

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A gold belt does not need private lessons; he/she needs to go to class as often as possible as practice basics. I say this for several reasons. First, 2-3 times per week is enough. Anything more and you risk overload. You need to give yourself time to absorb and digest what your Instructor has taught. Second, receiving private lessons from your Instructor runs the risk of producing jealousy and resentment among the other students. They are going to think "why is he so special?" My Instructor never gave private lessons, though God knows there were students who would have loved to have them.
The most your Instructor or any black belt should do is a little extra time before or after class to go over techniques you may be having trouble with.
I agree with previous postings: If you feel neglected, do not look for private lessons consider a different class. Keep in mind, if your teacher has a large number of students, he can't possibly devote substantial personal attention to individual students. Ask any public school teacher. All he can do is show the class, have you practice with a partner, and hope you get it.

OP
A

AaronLucia

Self training is probably the most important. :p

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You have made multiple statements about your training. Let me restate some of these statements as questions.

- Is there a problem with my school not offering one on one training to a Gold belt?

Most of the other instructors have tried to quiet your fears that your instructor is advising you improperly. I’ll join the chorus and say that the advice is sound and sure. I believe that private lessons are a while away.

- Is there something I can do to supplement my martial arts experience?

You are in the early stages of your martial art training and eager to improve. Yes, much of what you are looking for will come in time, but there are things you can do with out extra instruction. Increasing your physical well being with cardio, strength and stretching programs. You can also read about your art and about the martial arts and aspects within the art that interest you. Once, you are to a physical level that allows you to expend all your energy in class and have full mental clarity, I would increase the number of classes you take.

- Is it me or my school that has the attitude problem (Am I at the right school)?

This comes from multiple comments about not being satisfied with the answer you were getting from the people around you. The one thing you should know is that your school is an honorable school. As you can see many have written to say that your instructor is doing right by you. The Martial arts are generally a path to self-awareness and armed with this ask yourself these questions. Is this style of teaching suitable for you at this moment? Are the people in your class the type of people you can trust and depend on? Am I willing to let things come to me at the time my mind and body are ready for them? Do I trust the teacher? If you have the answer NO to any of these questions maybe it’s time to find a new instructor.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that was a great post...

i'd like to ask a question of you...how long have you been training in taekwondo?...rank systems vary from school to school and i was wondering how long you'd been doing it

OP
B

blueman

Thanks for your help. I've been training since Feb'04, graduating to a gold belt the end of July. I love this sport and want to be the best I can be. The replies that I received really have shown me this is a process, not just leaning the forms, combinations, etc, but respecting the instructor's direction. I appreciate your input and value your opinion.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
congratulations on the promotion by the way...

keep working hard by yourself...ask your teacher to critique your techniques and spend time working them by yourself...

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Blueman, I can appreciate that you are eager to learn. I have been as well. When I was a white belt, and then yellow belt, I just could not get enough of training, and I was often discouraged when I was not allowed to practice some of the advanced techniques, or learn more than the others at my level.

I was a white belt for 3 months, and then a yellow belt for almost a year (due to a military deployment), so I did all I could to remember what I learned at those lower levels, and I can honestly say that the exercise in patience has paid dividends.

I am now a red/brown stripe (3rd gup), and testing for Brown in a couple of weeks (2nd gup). I can honestly say that I have benefitted greatly having to take a long time for my training. I started training in May '01, and during this time, I've watched my wife, daughter and son all progress up to black belt in the time I've been training. I'm just thankful that I have had the opportunity to see them progress, and grow, and realize now that I still have a lot to learn before I become a BB.

Keep on training, and never get discouraged. Also, I would say do not pay for private lessons, unless you are in a position that keeps you out of a normal class schedule. Definitely, definitely work on your techniques at home as well. Sometimes (at least in my case) that is the best thing for you to improve and progress :) Good luck :)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can definitely relate. I missed my yellow green belt test because my brother was in travel hockey and my parents decided it was more important to be at his games than to make sure I got to test. I also missed my blue belt test because my mom decided I needed a month off from class as a vacation. My Instructor decided I had not been to class enough. I was too nervous around him to tell him it wasn't my fault!
The key word is patience. 2-3 times per week is enough, unless you are an aspiring Olympic competitor. I used to be exactly the same way-first in class, last to leave, wanted to practice every day. You need downtime to absorb and relax. After black belt you can practice as much as you want.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've been a yellow belt(first after white) in judo for coming up on a year and a half...during this whole time i've been practicing in judo the whole time....more than once my instructors have urged me to test...somehow it always gets put aside....like one of my friends said, "as long as i'm learning and i know i'm improving...that's all i care about"

OP
G

ghostdog2

Blueman:
Enjoyed your post and think you have the right idea: Question, explore, learn. With all due respect, many of those who replied seem to have missed the point (to me): your lessons should suit you. The idea that "one size fits all" makes no more sense in MA than in anything else. The speed of the wagon train is the speed of the slowest wagon. Group classes teach down to the middle of the class and not up to the exceptional student. If your instructor can't/won't suplement your lessons, look elsewhere. Line drills are too much like line dances for me.
Of course, it may be that you are just a whiner and want attention. You choose.
p.s. Responses to your question seemed to highlight a divide in the MA community between those who see MA's as simply a way to learn fighting skills and others who are looking for a deeper meaning. The Gracies de-mystified MA's as fighting skills over a decade ago. You choose. Either way, modern training, hopefully, will soon overtake the outmoded "we've always done it this way" school of thought.
p.p.s. Your last post was a sellout.

Latest Discussions