Supplement my TKD

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with some of you. I think private lessons can be very beneficial for accelerating a student's progress. I'll give a caveat to that:

Provided they're the right student.

Some students (you've seen 'em) are quick to buy every danged available piece of equipment the first week of training. They buy books. They buy videos. They sign up for (and sometimes take) private lessons. They then disappear. All good intentions, very little action. The purchase of the gear is a good sign the person has commitment issues, and buying the stuff is a way they convince themselves that THIS TIME they'll stick with it. You often hear a lot of verbal pledges to training--"Oh, I've wanted to do this for a long time. I'm REALLY going to get into this."

All that aside, a one on one with someone can be beneficial. This weekend I'm giving a 45 minute lesson on the dynamics of stretching to two beginners who both have an extensive background in athletics. In subsequent lessons I can work on kicking specifics with them. If one or both of them have a certain body type that isn't amenable to kicking along more orthodox lines I can modify the kick to fit them. I can give them exercises to do at home that will enhance their static active flexibility. I can tailor certain exercises and drills to fit that specific person's needs and capacities.

If they get better at an accelerated rate (and they will), I see no harm in this.

Regards,

Steve

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
A gold belt does not need private lessons; he/she needs to go to class as often as possible as practice basics. I say this for several reasons. First, 2-3 times per week is enough. Anything more and you risk overload. You need to give yourself time to absorb and digest what your Instructor has taught. Second, receiving private lessons from your Instructor runs the risk of producing jealousy and resentment among the other students. They are going to think "why is he so special?" My Instructor never gave private lessons, though God knows there were students who would have loved to have them.
The most your Instructor or any black belt should do is a little extra time before or after class to go over techniques you may be having trouble with.
I agree with previous postings: If you feel neglected, do not look for private lessons consider a different class. Keep in mind, if your teacher has a large number of students, he can't possibly devote substantial personal attention to individual students. Ask any public school teacher. All he can do is show the class, have you practice with a partner, and hope you get it.
I completly agree with you! except for the part about jealousy; if a student asks for a bit more insight that is one thing, but if you pay for a private lesson, it may be worthless, but other students are welcome to throw money at there incompetence as well.
Sean

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Responses to your question seemed to highlight a divide in the MA community between those who see MA's as simply a way to learn fighting skills and others who are looking for a deeper meaning.

No, not really. There's no real deep meaning behind saying "It takes time to learn how to apply what you're being taught."

The Gracies de-mystified MA's as fighting skills over a decade ago.

Not really. They tried to prove that GJJ was the ultimate fighting style. Now they all crosstrain with MT etc to fill in GJJ's holes. They may be results based, but they're still going to make you take time to advance in rank, because it still takes time to learn how to do and apply what you're learning.

You choose. Either way, modern training, hopefully, will soon overtake the outmoded "we've always done it this way" school of thought.

Yeah, those Gracies better get with it. Shame on them for not handing everything to a beginner on a silver platter all at once.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think private lessons can be very helpful, even at gold belt. Alot depends on the person and their ability to learn.

I have taught many private lessons, even for beginners, I currently teach a private lesson to a beginner 5-6 days a week, and after about 1 month of working his *** off he has the technique down extremely well for probably 4-5 months of group classes.

I am not saying it works for everyone, but it depends on the individual.

OP
G

ghostdog2

Gosh. Just got back to this thread and saw the response to my comments. Seems I hit a nerve.
I never suggested that B'man should get everything handed to him on a platter. I do think he should be allowed to progress as rapidly as his skill permits. Group training and group mind set are not for everyone.
You misunderstood my remark @ the Gracies. Perhaps intentionally and to help your point. Anyway, what I was trying to convey was the fact that BJJ showed its worth without the arcane rituals and mumbo jumbo of so many of the "traditional " MAs.
Go ahead and do it your way. Rather, do it the way your sensei ( don't you love those titles ) tells you to do it. Why should you or Blueman be any different?

OP
G

ghostdog2

I know I should leave well enough alone, but I read furthur back in the thread and what I saw was shocking.
No need for private lessons, my instructor wouldn't give them
No need for private lessons, the other students might get jealous
No need for private lessons, 2-3 times a week are enough for you
No need for private lessons, when you're a black belt you can practice all you want ( my favorite ).
My goodness, how dismissive of Blueman. How would anyone know how often is enough for him? Why/how would jealousy figure in?
I retreat to my original position: Many people see their study of MAs as continuing a tradition. Good. Then do it the way "they" did it back in the day.
Turn all control over to your instructor whom you will want to call by a respectful title in a foreign language, and follow the class. No private lessons for you, Mister. You must think you're special. Remember: go along to get along.
Could there be a better way? For Blueman?
Naw.

OP
B

blueman

Ghostdog,

With all due respect your input just confuses a beginning student in TKD. Its as if some fraud of training and tradition has been perpetrated on the TKD community and only you have the answer. While I am paying for MA training, I do want to be respectful of and learn by the tradition and culture. Are you suggesting I simply dismiss the advice given to me by those far more experienced, because they have a hidden agenda? You've made what I thought was a simple question into some sort of epic intellectual exercise. What do the Gracies have to do with my question? Perhaps a distinction has to be made
between self-defense, fighting systems, and martial sports.

Thanks,

Blueman

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
Gosh. Just got back to this thread and saw the response to my comments. Seems I hit a nerve.

Nah. Mindless MMA dogma's boring. It's potentially harmful to let mindless programming pass without comment. You should do yourself a favor and take your own advice.

I never suggested that B'man should get everything handed to him on a platter. I do think he should be allowed to progress as rapidly as his skill permits. Group training and group mind set are not for everyone.
You misunderstood my remark @ the Gracies. Perhaps intentionally and to help your point.

Nope. It was what it was. Most said it takes time to learn a given skill set thad that private lessons don't automatically help speed up that process. Since that's true, the fact Blueman's instructor didn't offer them didn't make him an incompetant instructor. You claimed that the Gracies had "demystified" training, (apparently group training's 'mystical' to 'ya) but shock of shocks, they still make people go through the ranks, and it takes time to learn the techniques, get physically there etc.

Given that you're railing against people who are saying, "Technique takes time and effort to learn." One would think that the Gracies had developed a magical fighting system that can be learned instantly from what you've posted.

Anyway, what I was trying to convey was the fact that BJJ showed its worth without the arcane rituals and mumbo jumbo of so many of the "traditional " MAs.

Like group classes... Riiiight.

Go ahead and do it your way. Rather, do it the way your sensei ( don't you love those titles ) tells you to do it. Why should you or Blueman be any different?

That would be utterly scathing, but you're just parroting what you've been taught, which makes you a hypocrite. Way to think outside of the box there.

OP
J

jakmak52

I disagree with you all...I took up crocheting to supplement my training and excelled superbly:supcool:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
jakmak52 said:
I disagree with you all...I took up crocheting to supplement my training and excelled superbly:supcool:
:asian: I've tried roller-blading (didn't work out too well), done lots of running (it's cold out there at 6am, but the dog seems to like it), and weight-lifting to supplement my TKD. I never thought about crocheting...how could I have missed that?

Miles

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as supplimenting goes, I study the fordmidable art of non sequiter. Hard to have a fist fight if someone's trying to massage the other into submission with a red herring after all...

OP
G

ghostdog2

Blueman,
Now that I know you are interested in " tradition and culture ", it all makes sense. Keep up the good work and enjoy your time in Stepford. Sorry I tried to see things from your perspective.
Marginal. How true. Your replies to scathing remarks will be more effective if you know what the words mean. Hypocrite does not mean or imply the " parrotting " of another's words. It does have a connotation of insincerity. I promise I'm sincere; well, not really. Anyway, more time in the Stepford library for you where you can learn to count in Korean and bow without losing eye contact. Important martial skills, those are. Right, Blueman?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are parroting MMA partyline. You're telling people to not accept their practices without a grain of salt while you're doing the exact same thing yourself. You're doing exactly what you're accusing everyone in this thread of doing. You're parroting your instructors, you're limited by your tradition etc. If such a notion is impossibly bad and limiting, then you are a hypocrite as youre engaging in the very practice you're trying to malign.

Thusly, you are a hypocrite.

And you're right. Nothing is worse than counting in a different language. Takes away 30 seconds a day's worth of your training that first week. Gotta optimize by learning Spanish words instead. They're way cooler since they're not Asian. Now *that* is innovation. Googleplatter! Oopmaloompa! Whew. I feel like I've shattered my chains of pointless tradition already.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
And you're right. Nothing is worse than counting in a different language. Takes away 30 seconds a day's worth of your training that first week. Gotta optimize by learning Spanish words instead. They're way cooler since they're not Asian. Now *that* is innovation. Googleplatter! Oopmaloompa! Whew. I feel like I've shattered my chains of pointless tradition already.

not only do i count in korean...but gasp...japanese too!!!........and i studied spanish for three years...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shame on you. All that potential code-switching means you'll never be able to fight! :rolleyes: