Preparing for a Black Belt

G

Gary Crawford

I'm so proud of you!It sounds like you did much better than I did.I was sure I had failed.The Kenpo bb test is the best learning experience I have ever had as you now know.I love your attitude about teaching.I hope you enjoy teaching as much as I do-there is no greater joy or better learning experience.You will be sucesessful because of your sense of humor.That is the true key to teaching anything-if you have no sense of humor,you can't be interesting enough to get anyones attention.I,like the rest of MT,hope to be lucky enough to cross your path someday!

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Sensei MJ - You are an inspiration. I have a BB pre-test evaluation in 5 weeks and I am SO NERVOUS!!

It sounds like you performed in a manner to be proud of - AWESOME, GIRL!!

:asian:Georgia:asian:
Georgia,

Thanks...and You are going to do so great - you survived the real thing girl! I'm most proud of you for that! Compared to that this will be a cake walk, and remember when all else fails just sink your teeth into em! :lol: Can we start a Georgia BB test thread? ...That'd be great!!!!

Good thoughts,

MJ :)

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
I'm so proud of you!It sounds like you did much better than I did.I was sure I had failed.The Kenpo bb test is the best learning experience I have ever had as you now know.I love your attitude about teaching.I hope you enjoy teaching as much as I do-there is no greater joy or better learning experience.You will be sucesessful because of your sense of humor.That is the true key to teaching anything-if you have no sense of humor,you can't be interesting enough to get anyones attention.I,like the rest of MT,hope to be lucky enough to cross your path someday!
Thanks Gary! I do love teaching! I'll bet you did better on your test than you know!! It'd be cool to meet you too! :)

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Thank you for taking all of us on your journey.:asian:
:asian: Thank you for sharing the ride!!!! :tank:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJ, that's fantastic! Congrats all around, I'm glad it was such a good experience, too!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Sensei MJ! It may seem like the test is a finale to all your work, but as others have also put it, it is really the beginning. Enjoy the journey!
May God Bless You and give you maannnnnny training days! :asian: TW

CB2379

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was one of the people who assisted in MJs test and words can not describe how awesome it was. I have been training at the same school as MJ for about 17 months now and have seen how hard she has worked for her test. Her effort and dediction are truly an inspiration for all the students at our school and especially for me. I truly took alot from watching her test and saw that gaining a Black Belt is more than just a test for a rank. I was so proud to be a part of her test and one of the main things that she kept saying throughout her thesis presentation was that its the journey that is more important than the outcome. Sitting there watching her video (which was amazing) showed that after years of training together, strangers can become training partners, friends and then a family.

After watching her sparring, one thing I definately took from that was that she is one tough cookie. After 100 sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, over 250 kicks and 350 punches, then demonstrating 170 techniques, 19 forms/sets and then sparring with 3 other people for 5 mins each with no stopping, she took on a 3rd degree black belt who has studied for over 25 years and was completely fresh. She took every blow and kick from him and reacted harder and harder after each attack. When he grappled with her, she did everything including biting him (YEAH MJ!) to get him off. Truly, it was a sight to see. During the some parts of the test, especially the exercises, some of the other students we chatting quitely with others, but when she was sparring, there wasn't a sound in the place. Everyone was watching with awe. Even our instructor got up and was rooting her on. She refused to quit. That was an inspiration.

I have read how all of you have congratulated her and she truly does deserve it, as does everyone who is a black belt.

Chuck

S

SMP

Breathing is most important - dont forget to breath without air we die. Your muscles and your mind require air. good luck

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
Her effort and dediction are truly an inspiration for all the students at our school and especially for me. I truly took alot from watching her test and saw that gaining a Black Belt is more than just a test for a rank. I was so proud to be a part of her test and one of the main things that she kept saying throughout her thesis presentation was that its the journey that is more important than the outcome. Sitting there watching her video (which was amazing) showed that after years of training together, strangers can become training partners, friends and then a family.
Chuck :asian: I am humbled by your words, and so very glad that you were able to take away so much from this. You are such an exceptional student and it is a pleasure to see you now begin to share your knowledge as an instructor to new students. I am so proud of your efforts :D and appreciate all you did to help me get where I am, and I am so looking forward to sharing the ride with you as move along in your journey!:)

She refused to quit. That was an inspiration.
:asian:

MJ :asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
Hi everyone,

I was one of the people who assisted in MJs test and words can not describe how awesome it was. I have been training at the same school as MJ for about 17 months now and have seen how hard she has worked for her test. Her effort and dediction are truly an inspiration for all the students at our school and especially for me. I truly took alot from watching her test and saw that gaining a Black Belt is more than just a test for a rank. I was so proud to be a part of her test and one of the main things that she kept saying throughout her thesis presentation was that its the journey that is more important than the outcome. Sitting there watching her video (which was amazing) showed that after years of training together, strangers can become training partners, friends and then a family.

After watching her sparring, one thing I definately took from that was that she is one tough cookie. After 100 sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, over 250 kicks and 350 punches, then demonstrating 170 techniques, 19 forms/sets and then sparring with 3 other people for 5 mins each with no stopping, she took on a 3rd degree black belt who has studied for over 25 years and was completely fresh. She took every blow and kick from him and reacted harder and harder after each attack. When he grappled with her, she did everything including biting him (YEAH MJ!) to get him off. Truly, it was a sight to see. During the some parts of the test, especially the exercises, some of the other students we chatting quitely with others, but when she was sparring, there wasn't a sound in the place. Everyone was watching with awe. Even our instructor got up and was rooting her on. She refused to quit. That was an inspiration.

I have read how all of you have congratulated her and she truly does deserve it, as does everyone who is a black belt.

Chuck
Chuckster! I was wondering how long it would take for you to get here. Welcome. KT

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read the news!
party-smiley-006.gif
:partyon:

Congratulations Sensei MJ!!!!!

From what I've read about your test, just the beginning workout part sounded exhausting not to mention everything else you had to do! I and everyone else am very proud of you!!! You have definitly earned it!!!! :asian:

party-smiley-020.gif

Robyn :asian:
party-smiley-032.gif
:asian:

CB2379

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Chuckster! I was wondering how long it would take for you to get here. Welcome. KT
Hi "Kenpotiger"
Yes, I have been reading this for about a week now and decided to start posting and figured I'd talk about MJ's test. Sorry you missed it!

I have less than 5 days to prepare for my Blue Belt test on Friday and I'll be at the school tonight!

Chuck

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
Hi "Kenpotiger"
Yes, I have been reading this for about a week now and decided to start posting and figured I'd talk about MJ's test. Sorry you missed it!

I have less than 5 days to prepare for my Blue Belt test on Friday and I'll be at the school tonight!

Chuck
Good luck for your test! You'll do great, since you've seen how an awesome black belt does it!

- Ceicei

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chuck you are sooo ready. You did all of those techniques for me perfectly last week!!!
OOOWA OOO.... GO CHUCK... GO CHUCK:partyon:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
CB2379 said:

Chuck
I know. Be ready! Tonight and Wednesday. See you in a little while.

CB2379

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good luck for your test! You'll do great, since you've seen how an awesome black belt does it! - Ceicei
Thanks, Ceicei, I really appreciate it!

mj-hi-yah said:
Chuck you are sooo ready. You did all of those techniques for me perfectly last week!!!
OOOWA OOO.... GO CHUCK... GO CHUCK:partyon:
Hi MJ,. Thanks for your encouragement. I think I am ready to. I've told you already that for some reason getting to Blue Belt is an important step for me. I am not really big into the color of the belts, but for some reason, the Blue Belt symbolizes a big step for me and I am actually nervous about it!

I'm definately going to be praciticing this week!

Talk to you soon,
Chuck

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
Thanks, Ceicei, I really appreciate it!

Hi MJ,. Thanks for your encouragement. I think I am ready to. I've told you already that for some reason getting to Blue Belt is an important step for me. I am not really big into the color of the belts, but for some reason, the Blue Belt symbolizes a big step for me and I am actually nervous about it!

I'm definately going to be praciticing this week!

Talk to you soon,
Chuck
That's only because the blue is stylin!:ninja: Now...GO GET IT!!!!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love that new avatar :asian:

Look at the smile on that girls face. Talk about happy :partyon:
darn I can feel the joy through the picture even

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Love that new avatar :asian:
Thanks Sheldon!:) I promised OC KID a pic of the belt being awarded, so I gave up my cool cat for awhile, I think that smile reflects total satisfaction in knowing that even though I got my butt kicked I got the last bite :). Seriously, I was just so happy to cross the finish line that day... I must say I love watching all kinds of cats so I love your avatar too, but especially I get a kick out of your chosen MT name t"shadowchaser"...very fun!!!:boing2:

Latest Discussions