Power of Kihap

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
can you explain the physiology of the statements you made about the kihap? ...........please

One aspect I'm aware of is the use of controlled breath expelling to make your body supple and limit damage to yourself during a physical confrontation. It's a part of martial qigong practice found in internal fighting systems.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I Kihap with a short, loud yell from the diaphram. The traditional way. Unfortunatly, you must hold your breath, momentarely, at the end of your yell. Holding your breath is not a good thing.

There is another type of Kihap where it is a little softer and does not have an abrupt ending, it trails off and you never actually hold your breath, you just start your inhale. This is a safer type of Kihap, but old habits are hard to break.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One benefit of a kihap is that if you kihap when you use a technique, whatever it is, should counterattack catch you in the torso area, you won't have the wind knocked out of you. In hapkido, we kihap when doing breakfalls for this reason.

Daniel

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
can you explain the physiology of the statements you made about the kihap? ...........please

My instructor said it realease Adrenaline. How is this different from Anger? I believe Anger release Adrenaline too.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree most of what was said in the previous posts.

I watched something on Discovery I they demonstrated the pressure of a punch striking a target with kiap and with out.. The strike with the kiap had more force behind it. Kind of the same thing when lifting weights excel when exerting as opposed to inhaling.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor said it realease Adrenaline. How is this different from Anger? I believe Anger release Adrenaline too.

That's not completely accurate. Anger can release adrenaline, but any kind of emotionality...activation of the sympathetic nervous system...could be anger, fear, sex...the neurolgical response is the same, it is our perspetions of what is causing the arousal that dictates how we perceive it.

In any event, in a fight, the actual fight is more likely to cause aropusal than a kiap....the kiap may, however help with focus and keeping your mind from running out of control into anxiety or something.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions