Piecemeal Instruction

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. We have 'wellness' where I work as well, and have been toying with something similar. The overarching purpose of the class is what you have to fit the Goju into. Sanchin is perfect, and you should make a case for it...breathing, alignment, meditation. Sanchin doesn't have to be performed hard to have benefit. Pick one or two katas with nice 'self-defense' bunkai that can be done by aging knees :) to plant the seeds, and if you also have solid kobudo, teach a bo kata. Kobudo is great for wellness (cardio).

The sponsor of my program opposes sanchin. His reasoning is that the audible breathing would make some (most?) of the students self-conscious and they might not stick with the class as a result. Any shime testing would also be a no-no, given the need for me to touch the students, many of which would be women.

This may or may not be a deal-breaker. I haven't really argued the point forcefully yet.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like the sponsor 'knows' what women will want without asking. :)

If his/her mind is made up, biased based on what he 'knows', then no way to change it. I'd personally make a case by performing Sanchin 'soft', soft breathing, and the beneficial aspect of that kata for 'wellness' (mind/body connection, etc.). All katas can be done 'hard' or 'soft', and since it's 'just' a taste of Goju, no 'touching' *roll eyes* need be done. (Old way: learn by watching sensei.)

I suppose, if he thought about it, 'kiais' are out as well. LOL!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would not omit Sanchin maybe make an exception on the shime but would not omit sanchin. Kotekitae is also essential really its essential to all okinawan karate again not something I would omit. The hojo undo to some degree you could overlook but part of karate is builiding a strong body.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's an issue of the company wanting to foster good exercise habits through a martial arts program while minimizing sensitive issues like too much body contact (sexual harassment or the prospect of someone getting hurt in sparring).

How about flower arranging?

Ok that was not a productive comment to make, but really... We're talking about martial art. If people can't cope with touching another human being or being touched by one, MA is probably not for them.

Btw, what you describe seems an awful lot like tae-bo.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sponsor of my program opposes sanchin. His reasoning is that the audible breathing would make some (most?) of the students self-conscious and they might not stick with the class as a result. Any shime testing would also be a no-no, given the need for me to touch the students, many of which would be women.

This may or may not be a deal-breaker. I haven't really argued the point forcefully yet.

At some point you will have to decide if you want to teach MA or run an adult daycare. Because based on your description, the result would have nothing to do with MA at all.

I suppose you can't make them exert themselves either, on the premise that sweating would make them self conscious or conscious of others as well?

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If we look at Sanchin and the true principal behind it we can see that the shime done by most is not necessary. The kata is to develop body elignment and proper breathing etc. It was never intended to see how much punishment one can take.

So keep sanchin in. Use it to teach the concepts of goju/karate that it should be used for.

Go with white, green, brown belts (beginner, intermediate and advanced) in the program " "Wellness through karate concepts". No black belts!

In this type of class I would drop kobudo and probably no kumite. Maybe keep 2 man drills (1 steps, 3 steps) whatever you have in your curriculum.

Sign some sort of certificate but never use your "Dan grade". Just be, in this class, the wellness instructor.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about flower arranging?

Ok that was not a productive comment to make, but really... We're talking about martial art. If people can't cope with touching another human being or being touched by one, MA is probably not for them.

Btw, what you describe seems an awful lot like tae-bo.

We're lawsuit crazy in the US. I understand their perspective and I respect their needs. It may not coincide with my own objectives, meaning we don't work together, but I'm not going to mock their side.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My experience with 'wellness' is that it's focus is to encourage physical (mostly) and mental (less so) well-being in order to keep staff healthier, and therefore more productive. Just about anything can fall under this umbrella (heck...we have cake baking...how 'healthy' is that?)...it depends on the spin. On promoting the activities that fall in line with the program focus.

My experience where I work is that karate never makes the cut as out of 300 employees, only about 6 of us (2 women) ever sign up for it. The very first hurdle (as the sponsor knows) is to get women in the class in the first place. You have to overcome 'karate stigma' (mental bias that women already have in place from negative stereotyping of the art). It's easier to get them to do 'women's strenth training' if you don't advertise it as 'gym workout'. Same with 'karate'.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry -- but you can't teach martial arts without some contact. Sometimes, you just gotta move a person's body to the right place. That is NOT the same as license to grope or harass!

And any exercise will include some moments of discomfort & self-consciousness. Overcoming that is part of the growth of exercise...

It sounds like they don't really want you to teach martial arts, but some sort of cardio-kickboxing type program. If you're up for that -- go for it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I already mentioned tae bo.

I don't know how difficult it would be for you to be able to teach it, but it would have the advantage of being a 'known' system which was designed without any contact.

That way they don't have the misconception that that are learning a martial art, and you don't have to break your head about how you can strip the guts out of goju and still have enough left to teach them. It seems ideal for the stated requirements. And it might also make things easier for the sponsor since tae bo is a known quantity and therefore easier to promote towards people who would be uncomfortable with the contact / sweatiness / other stuff typically associated with karate.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry -- but you can't teach martial arts without some contact. Sometimes, you just gotta move a person's body to the right place. That is NOT the same as license to grope or harass!

And any exercise will include some moments of discomfort & self-consciousness. Overcoming that is part of the growth of exercise...

That's true enough. I guess the main area of conflict is that sanchin is a drill where contact between instructor and student is expected. Whereas impromptu bodily corrections occurring in other kata or other drills are viewed as more incidental.

It sounds like they don't really want you to teach martial arts, but some sort of cardio-kickboxing type program. If you're up for that -- go for it.

I wouldn't go that far. As the instructor for the course I would surely be shaping much of the content, regardless of the impression you may have received from my posts.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I already mentioned tae bo.

I don't know how difficult it would be for you to be able to teach it, but it would have the advantage of being a 'known' system which was designed without any contact.

That way they don't have the misconception that that are learning a martial art, and you don't have to break your head about how you can strip the guts out of goju and still have enough left to teach them. It seems ideal for the stated requirements. And it might also make things easier for the sponsor since tae bo is a known quantity and therefore easier to promote towards people who would be uncomfortable with the contact / sweatiness / other stuff typically associated with karate.

Um, no.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's an excellent idea, and hope it takes off. :) I know another that did something similar, hoping that it would bring students to his school...but it never happened. Worse case, at the very least, it's advertising. :)

Good luck.

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like with this program, you can't teach what you love, but could you love what you teach? You seem passionate about teaching Goju, but would you enjoy teaching this new thing whatever it turns out to be? Would you be happy with what your students get out of the program?

If you think so, I say go for it! Otherwise, like you said, your newbies will take their cues from you, and if you're not proud of what you're teaching them, they'll probably pick up on that.

But people create new programs all the time. If you were teaching a women's street defense seminar, you wouldn't use the same curriculum as your karate class. If someone came to you and asked you to design a program for kids with disabilities, you might have to modify your some parts to meet their special needs.

I'm a big believer in tradition, but I also see the value in flexibility and adaptability.

katagrl

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in tradition, but I also see the value in flexibility and adaptability.

I agree with this. It sounds like a good opportunity to introduce people to some of the basic concepts of your style, but at the same time let them know that there is more to it than what you are able to teach them in that setting. Would it be possible for you to have handouts giving some background and history of Goju, as well as the curriculum of what you teach at your main dojo? That way the more motivated students might follow you there, while the others would at least get some kind of exercise, but would know it wasn't full-fledged Goju karate. As far as belts, I probably would only go through the first few ranks with a modified program, then let them know they would have to transfer to the main dojo if they wanted to continue. It sounds like both a great marketing opportunity and chance to introduce something you love to some new people (and make some money, oh yeah, that), and for them to learn something new and fun that will make them feel more fit, and a few might continue on long term. It's a win-win!

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many of you would consider letting students pick and choose what they learn from you? I am a goju-ryu karate instructor with a fairly 'traditional' curriculum, including hojo undo, kotikitae, kata, bunka, kumite, and kobudo.

That said, I've been given an opportunity to teach a regular corporate class with a significant amount of new students. The sponsor of this proposed course is a dan holder in another karate style and he loves my material, yet he feels due to the business setting of the class, I would need to drop elements I believe are core to what goju-ryu is. Namely sanchin and shime testing to begin with, but I imagine there other drills and practices named later.

The idea is to advance these business-class students through an approved curriculum, and if they want to learn the material left out, they could do so privately at my own dojo.

It's a good opportunity to spread my teacher's brand of karate, yet I'm wary about ceding control. It is somewhat disconcerting to think that the sponsor, although he would be one of my students, would have a significant amount of input into the class' content and organization.

Sounds like capitalists to me. The business interest. Corporate.

I know what I would wanna tell em if I were in your shoes.

Seems like you wanna teach real karate not some watered down stuff.

Tell em to get stuffed. Not in those words, of course, but let em know you're into imparting the true ma and spirit of, not some mcdojo-ish thing.

btw my senseis teach Traditional Shotokan. One day a student came in (so my Sandan told me) who wanted to learn shotokan. but his religion was against bowing some kind of hindu or Sikh maybe. (im not sure what religion he was tbh) So he wouldnt bow to the sensei. My sensei pretty much told him he couldnt stay there.

can u see my senseis arent interested in money?

If you're not against the idea, fine. If so tell em to blow respectfully and teach in your dojo what u wish. Its your dojo, after all.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, dancingalone, I've experienced both sides of this one. We have a variety of Wellness programs going at work..... and contrary perhaps to some of the commentary, I believe those are the sign of a good and caring employer. Too many places just run people down before tossing them aside.

We do some Tai Chi/Qi Gong material as a small group - but you are correct about liability concerns. It was made very clear at the outset that only stress reduction and health benefits could be done - and I made it very clear to each person that they would not get the full essence of Tai Chi that my tecahers had provided. Still, they have gotten significant benefits from what we can do...

On the other side of things, my daughters practice goju-ryu - so as an observer for some years, I have a general idea.... and I do not understand how another Black Belt can expect you to remove key elements of the art. This seems a needless compromise, unwarranted interference. One would think he'd be more sensitive to that....

If I had to suggest anything, it would be to give a program of instruction to help these workers. I believe you can really help them. But do not call it goju ryu, and explain that your teachings are drawn from it but with material left out.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I had to suggest anything, it would be to give a program of instruction to help these workers. I believe you can really help them. But do not call it goju ryu, and explain that your teachings are drawn from it but with material left out.

and absolutely refuse to give them belts or ranks of any kind.