Goju-Ryu/Taekwon-Do

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine has found a Goju-Ryu class quite close to home and he wants to try it, he also wants me to come along and train too. I'm very tempted as it's a style that I've admired for years, but do you think it would confuse my Taekwon-Do training too? I know some of the TKD practitioners on here also study Okinawan Martial Arts, so how do you find it? I train every day in TKD, except on weekends when I train alone, but the Goju-Ryu class doesn't clash with my TKD classes. Should I give it a go? I can't see it doing anything more than just enhancing my technique, and if I get to undergo a bit of Hojo Undo, then all the better!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I thought I'd post this in the Japanese arts section as I wanted to know what those who practice the art think, and not (so much) those who practice TKD.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I haven't cross trained, I've heard many people say cross training is more effective once you have mastered the foundation of your first choice of martial art. My husband trains in wing chun and Tkd, but kept it to strictly Tkd til he had been a black belt for many years.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While I haven't cross trained, I've heard many people say cross training is more effective once you have mastered the foundation of your first choice of martial art. My husband trains in wing chun and Tkd, but kept it to strictly Tkd til he had been a black belt for many years.

^^This. I was getting ready for my black belt in TaeKwonDo when I started Judo. The way it happened, I graded to yellow belt in Judo and fought at my first Judo shiai before I graded to black belt, but that's irrelevant. I think more TKD experience is a good idea before you start Goju Ryu personally but I won't discourage you.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have stated that I'm a First Dan in TKD, and that essentially, this will still be my 'main' art of choice. Your opinions are still appreciated.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing hasnt interfered with my TKD (Which is a very Hand-Heavy-In-Application Form), and as such, as long as you keep them seperate somehow (Personally, i use Stances. Assume a Boxing Stance to Box; Assume a TKD Stance to TKD), and go from there.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu is a close in fighting art that is kata based. All kicks are below the waist, with grabs and take downs. In it's most truest sense, it is not geared toward tournaments, but I do feel there could be some merit to starting it, and judge for yourself down the road. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to train with a new student in our Isshin-Ryu dojo last night who has trained for years in TKD and has some boxing background as well. Gotta say, he is fast on the uptake and by the way, he hits like a freight train. About the only thing I noticed was his tendency to punch and stick, instead of using the snap punch as we do. There was a lot of cross-over. We block a little differently, our stances are not as deep, but he seems to be having no trouble transitioning. I'd say give it a shot and see what you think.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a great opportunity to learn another system. If you want to cross-train, go ahead. I think it's good to have one solid system you studied for 4 or 5 years when reaching black belt, and then if you like go to another school to try out another system.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We study ITF Taekwon-Do so we're not really geared towards tournaments. Having said that, when we spar in class, kicks must be above the waist, no hits to the back, and there are no takedowns, although we do use them in self defence we don't use them for sparring. I'm definitely gonna go, I love the look of the kata's, and it just seems like a system that would really enhance my techniques as a martial artist! I'll start next saturday (17th september) and let you know how it goes!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a second degree black belt in WTF Taekwondo and yes I did crosstraing for a year in american kenpo karate. TKD is still my main martial art and kenpo gave me a set of new self defense techs, so I say go ahead, try the Goju and have fun most of all, two things can hapen: a) you get involved with Goju and liked and never look back or b) You will keep TKD as your main martial and get some Goju moves, either way you don't loose a thing so go ahead, crosstraining is fun, refreshing and helps to make some extra friends.

Manny

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have stated that I'm a First Dan in TKD, and that essentially, this will still be my 'main' art of choice. Your opinions are still appreciated.

Robin, my sincere apologies. For some reason I thought you started quite recently; my mistake.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By all means, try it out, you just might like it. I would be interested in reading your impressions of training in Goju-ryu karate as you progress. Personally I find that many students with strong experience in another style, particularly Shotokan, have a lot of trouble adapting to the foundational methods in Goju. Would be interesting to read what a taekwondoin thinks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd do it. In a heartbeat.

Goju ryu is #2 in my list of things to do if I wasn't doing what I already do. #1 is Uechi ryu.

It's good, solid, no nonsense, get right to the bottom of things MA.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the Goju.

Our Goju school trains kobudo with a Chung do Kwan school. The teacher there is a 4th dan with over 20 years of training, and he tried training goju last year and liked it very much. However, he didn't return this year and I asked him about it. He stated that he found himself conflicted. He loves his TKD, and learning the bunkai has really enhanced his understanding of his forms, but can't 'integrate' the styles, nor really keep them seperate.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on the Goju.

Our Goju school trains kobudo with a Chung do Kwan school. The teacher there is a 4th dan with over 20 years of training, and he tried training goju last year and liked it very much. However, he didn't return this year and I asked him about it. He stated that he found himself conflicted. He loves his TKD, and learning the bunkai has really enhanced his understanding of his forms, but can't 'integrate' the styles, nor really keep them seperate.
Thats a bit odd - Ive not heard of any other Style Blend with that kind of effect. Curious indeed.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he meant 'mentally'. And it depends on the Goju. Some is very 'chinese', very kung fu in power generation and combined with focus on hand/arm techniques doesn't automatically mean it will complement TKD.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats a bit odd - Ive not heard of any other Style Blend with that kind of effect. Curious indeed.

That's really not so unusual. TKD is frequently taught as a long range sport style where you dart to score a few quick points before disengaging on purpose to avoid counterattack. If that is the mindset you're used to, you'll definitely have trouble assimilating into the Goju way, at least the Goju-ryu I study and teach. And that's even before we get into the technical differences such as the pelvic tuck or rounding the back instead of staying square.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no formal training in Goju, but coming from an instructor's perspective it can be difficult when training in 2 similar styles. Minor differences in wrap up, stances, etc. can be difficult to change with years of muscle memory already reinforced (since you are already a bb in ITF).

However, as a martial artist, I really enjoy cross training from a philosophical and technical basis. Many Karatekas were encouraged to seek out other instructors in the old days back in Okinawa. Why? No one owns a technique and no one is a master of all techniques. Sometimes you need to leave your own fish bowl to see what the ocean has to offer.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So i had my first Goju class yesterday, it was great! It wasn't completely different to the TKD we study, a lot of emphasis on power generation, the techniques were aimed low, and I did pretty well in my first full contact (without pads) kumite! What i really want to know is, how do you breathe with that 'crocodile' sound during Sanchin Kata? It's something i really want to learn, and i can see that i'll definitely be supplementing my TKD with Goju for years to come now!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What i really want to know is, how do you breathe with that 'crocodile' sound during Sanchin Kata?

Don't worry if you don't get it for a while. It's not uncommon for people to not perform sanchin correctly with proper alignment, tension, and breathing until they are years into their study.

One tip I'll share is to just stand with your back against a wall as you stand in sanchin dachi. The pressure of of the wall can help you maintain proper back and lower body alignment, and if you remove movement from the equation you can focus on whatever aspect you want to work on at the time, like breathing or frame structure as you perform the blocks and punches in the form.

Another tip. Don't focus so much on the sound of the breathing - instead focus on correct breathing mechanics. The characteristic sound is a by-product of proper dan tien breathing.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions