Goju-Ryu/Taekwon-Do

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goju is about as close (Uechi being arguably closer) to southern CMA as possible without actually studying it. It takes time, it's not quick.

BUT... there'll be one moment (as with everything) when something "snaps into place" & then you're solid from there on.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
Man without writing a book. I just won the largest tournament in Isshinryu Karate. I started in a TKD based style of American Karate.
Last night, I had a two 4th and a 7th Dan telling a brown belt to learn to kick from me because I being 300 pounds I still have the best kicks in our school. (None of that really matters about me) I only said that to tell you that the two will only enhance one another. I say they are close enough (punches blockes) and in my opinion will only make you better. Just be sure not to offend you TKD teacher. that would be my only caution....

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that studying Goju Ryu will not hurt you at all. I think if you are ever in an altercation it will be invaluable to you as it is about close in where most TKD is about being outside. I doubt that it will conflict as it is a very different style of fighting then I have seen any TKD style use. GO FOR IT!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm glad you got to go and check out the goju class and will be heading back. I did TKD all through high school and then swaped to goju. It is a different style of course and has different focuses but as you will no doubt find, almost any two or more arts can be complimentary. You might laugh now but one day, you might even find your desire is to focus more on goju...(impossible!?)

I swapped over completely so had no issues re switching from one to the other either in training or competing but you should be able to compartmentalise when required. I took wing chun alongside karate for a couple of years and had no issue mixing the applications at either class.

It should be good for your in-close work also. My first night ever at goju I was put into a lot of reasonably heavy sparring and was one of the better kickers and was feeling really confident until I got a good punch to the bread basket and went down like a sack of spuds! It definitely helps to focus on those areas your particular style may not focus so much on!

I found a lot of the seniors in goju at my school actually did a lot of high kicks, front and hook kicks and round houses and had competed in open tournaments and other karate competitions such a kyokoshin. So there may be room for mixing your core style and kicking strneghts into the kumite at goju also. As you have the time for both I say go for it and enjoy!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A friend of mine has found a Goju-Ryu class quite close to home and he wants to try it, he also wants me to come along and train too. I'm very tempted as it's a style that I've admired for years, but do you think it would confuse my Taekwon-Do training too? I know some of the TKD practitioners on here also study Okinawan Martial Arts, so how do you find it? I train every day in TKD, except on weekends when I train alone, but the Goju-Ryu class doesn't clash with my TKD classes. Should I give it a go? I can't see it doing anything more than just enhancing my technique, and if I get to undergo a bit of Hojo Undo, then all the better!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I thought I'd post this in the Japanese arts section as I wanted to know what those who practice the art think, and not (so much) those who practice TKD.

I know this is over a month old but I thought I would just give you some insight from my experience. First I do not believe the change will be too dramatic for you since you study ITF TKD. From what I have gathered from my friends in ITF and have seen, the basics are very similar to karate. Personally I come from KKW TKD and have been studying Shorei-ryu for the past 8 years. The most difficult part I found was transitioning the way I chamber my side and roundhouse kick from TKD to karate method as well as going from more upright stances to lower stances. In all it has been a great experience and as long as you still train in your TKD, you should have no problems adapting back and forth.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My kids train in both TKD and Shotokan and they love both. It has been a great! I think that if you have an open mind it can be a great opportunity. They trained for 6 and 10 years in TKD before training in Shotokan. It is important to know your base art first before you venture out.